Menu

Is there a stigma to testing out of a-g? (UC)

I have a rising 8th grader, and am starting to navigate CA high school planning. It looks like our charter will be a bit finicky about giving a-g credit for Mom classes. I am talking about classes where the rigor is clearly above what is required, but the course does not match the charter's recommended syllabus for books read or organization of units. Is there any benefit there would be to pushing the charter to give a-g credit, rather than just testing out of the requirement? (It looks like the process to get approved is pretty tedious. Apparently, even courses the College Board has approved for AP need a second pass through the UC board.)

For UC admissions, is there a stigma to testing out of English with a high SAT verbal score instead of a-g courses? 

Also, do other colleges care about the a-g listings? I mean, outside CA is it seen as a hoop? Or does a homeschool transcript without a-g look like the child has taken an easier path?

DS will have AoPS classes and probably SAT subject and AP exams to validate some but not all courses. 

Thanks.

Well there are some colleges that require weird things of homeschoolers.  In Florida, overall colleges are EXTREMELY accepting of homeschoolers, including Florida State.  But University of Florida requires Subject Tests to verify certain courses. Not as many,

But overall, if your student has a good transcript and scores well on the SAT and throw in one or two AP and extra curriculars, your student will actually be SOUGHT after in Arizona, and welcomed in Washington and Oregon.  However, then of course you have to be able to afford travel costs plus out of state tution.  One of these states however ( I believe it is AZ, gives CA kids in-state tuition rates.)

Thank you all!

The charter money is really helpful, unfortunately. Or, fortunately, I guess. And it goes up once DS is officially in hs.   

I'd rather not rule out UC right now, if I can help it--but if I have to choose between peace and depth on one hand and a-g on the other, I sure hope I will pick the former.  

Would it be fair to say that testing out of, say, a science a-g class with the appropriate subject SAT is comparable to taking an AP test without a formal AP class (which I feel absolutely fine doing)? I don't mean that the difficulty level is the same; I know that the AP classes are a higher level. But, in terms of a test validating rigor when the class name doesn't, is that a fair comparison?

I have one kiddo graduation from a homeschool charter school who didn't do the a-g track. I also have a 10th grader who is currently doing a-g track with the same charter. I switched ESs which made things a bit easier, my new ES is easier to work with and knows more about a-g. Some charters are easier to deal with than others too. Maybe ask around and see if there's one in your area that's easier to work with?

For UC schools you can either go the a-g route or you can do admittance by testing. If you have a student who is a strong tester I would just have them take the classes you plan and then do the SAT subject tests with the ACT or the SAT. 

• Like 2