Menu

Butthurt (not political)

SKL

OK this is getting personal, but I'm sure somebody on here will have some advice.

My tailbone hurts a lot when I sit on any chair.  It hurts even more when I get up off the chair.  I have a trans-atlantic flight coming up in a couple weeks, and I predict it's going to be rough if I don't fix this problem.

I go to a chiropractor for wellness, but I haven't asked her about this, and I may not get a chance before my trip.

Probably 20 years ago, I fell down the stairs and broke my tailbone.  I didn't go to the doctor, because what were they gonna do ... but after maybe a week, it stopped hurting.  It is possible this current situation is related, but it could also just be old age.  :P  Or could be my fitdesk seat, though I've been pretty careful how I sit on that over the past few months ....

So - anyone had this happen, and what did you do about it?

I think you need a coccyx cushion.

We have a cushion like that at our house, but it's not my favorite. The back is taller than the front. It was originally for my mom because she gets uncomfortable sitting but she didn't like the cushion so I gave it to dh because I heard it was supposed to help with sciatica, too.

Sorry, I just saw that you broke your tailbone?? I don't know what they normally do for that. Definitely look into the pillows. Maybe you actually bruised it not broke it? Since you didn't go to the dr I don't know if you could really know.

Edited by heartlikealion
  • Like 2

i'd get it checked out to make sure it's not been reinjured.

my great-grandmother broker her tailbone - and ended up with a spinal infection which killed her.

if it's just reacting to something - but not serious - maybe one of those doughnut pillows to sit on . . .

That happened to me, too.

When I was a kid, I fell off the monkey bars onto concrete and broke my tailbone. There wasn't anything to do for it but let it heal up, which it did, and then it felt fine.

Then a few years ago, completely out of the blue, it started hurting for no apparent reason. I hadn't fallen, bumped it, or injured it in any way. Sitting was painful and standing up after sitting was bad. It was especially painful when I was sitting on something soft, like a couch, that didn't have much support.

I just waited it out and sat very gingerly for a couple weeks  :) and it did end up getting better. It's been fine ever since.

I hope yours gets better before your trip.

I had this 2x (broke my tail bone 2x). They can't do shi* about it other than pain pills (which...go and get some if you need it!). Get one of those donut pillows.

Sorry! It sucks.

Hey we're twins! I've broken mine twice too- falling from horses. I had a similar issue to what you're describing in college. Too many classes in a row on hard plastic chairs. Seconding the donut pillow. It's probably super inflamed. I had to take Celebrex for a while to get the inflammation down. You might try Aleve and see if it helps. Use the pillow whenever possible and hopefully that will knock it down enough for your trip.

FWIW, there isn't anything they could do when I broke it according to the doctor I saw long after the fact. It set sort of crooked or curved and has a bit or arthritis which makes it more likely to become inflammed. I didn't go to the doctor either time initially- only after it became so bad I almost cried to sit through class. That's when they saw the healed breaks on the x-rays. But I was pretty sure at the time I had broken it!

I had injured my tailbone in my first birthing process and it hurt for years but eventually got better. Then, out of the blue it started hurting again (while sitting but especially standing back up) but a donut pillow helped alot. It would come and go and soon I started noticing it aligned with my monthly cycles. Turned out to be endometriosis. So make sure you do get checked out when you get back. Our bodies do weird things!

I have piriformis syndrome which presents as tailbone pain. That may not be your issue, of course, but if it is, you'll know it when you do the "clamshell" exercise. First it will hurt like heck, and then it will start to feel better. When mine flares up, I do three sets of ten on each side, and I do the supine piriformis stretch on each side, very gently for a full minute.

I broke my tailbone during delivery. Fun times! If it is cracked, experiment with different ways of sitting (donut, rolled towel, etc). Maybe get a prescription for a painkiller for your flight?

Hey we're twins! I've broken mine twice too- falling from horses. I had a similar issue to what you're describing in college. Too many classes in a row on hard plastic chairs. Seconding the donut pillow. It's probably super inflamed. I had to take Celebrex for a while to get the inflammation down. You might try Aleve and see if it helps. Use the pillow whenever possible and hopefully that will knock it down enough for your trip.

FWIW, there isn't anything they could do when I broke it according to the doctor I saw long after the fact. It set sort of crooked or curved and has a bit or arthritis which makes it more likely to become inflammed. I didn't go to the doctor either time initially- only after it became so bad I almost cried to sit through class. That's when they saw the healed breaks on the x-rays. But I was pretty sure at the time I had broken it!

First time I fell on ice. Second time was giving birth to my 2nd kid.

Fun times...

• Like 1

Fun times...

:crying:  :scared:  :sad:  OUCH. I'm glad I am just now finding out that's a possibility during child birth. 

I broke my tailbone during delivery. Fun times! If it is cracked, experiment with different ways of sitting (donut, rolled towel, etc). Maybe get a prescription for a painkiller for your flight?

I did,too. When I mentioned to the docs after the fact that I was uncomfortable they said there wasn't much they could do about it. As a result,they weren't even interested in an x-ray. . Every now and again it acts up but most of the time I don't notice it.

Fun times...

Interesting. I broke my tailbone when I was 12 falling on ice. My tailbone is defective. If you follow the shape of my spine, it is bent at the end like a left-facing checkmark.

• Like 1

I think you need a coccyx cushion.

We have a cushion like that at our house, but it's not my favorite. The back is taller than the front. It was originally for my mom because she gets uncomfortable sitting but she didn't like the cushion so I gave it to dh because I heard it was supposed to help with sciatica, too.

I agree. I have one on my computer chair and it makes a big difference even though my chair isn't hard. The bolded is important though. Some companies will just have the hole or cut out  for your tailbone and call it good. You need to make sure the one you get is lower in front and taller in back. I don't know why it matters but it does. Not all coccyx cushions are created equal. The good ones aren't cheap but they're worth it.

Edited by Lady Florida.

I agree. I have one on my computer chair and it makes a big difference even though my chair isn't hard. The bolded is important though. Some companies will just have the hole or cut out  for your tailbone and call it good. You need to make sure the one you get is lower in front and taller in back. I don't know why it matters but it does. Not all coccyx cushions are created equal. The good ones aren't cheap but they're worth it.

That's funny you said that's a sign of a good one. I didn't know any better. Just don't care for sitting on an incline haha

• Like 1