Menu

My rising 7th grader is asking for a more "artistic" curriculum for next year?

staceyobu

Layers of Learning is more projects than drawing, but it is at least art. Many of us use it as a reference type supplement even if not using it as the main curriculum. It is pretty affordable and whoever set up the pdfs knew what they were doing.

The boxy style allows you to easily blow up a small section and view it even on an average 5 inch phablet screen. Obviously the pages are even better on a full size tablet. Even the smallest picture blow up beautifully for a better viewing. The pictures are a real help for anyone using a curriculum heavy in older public domain narratives.

There are maps, timelines, coloring pages, book lists, trivia and so much more for all the major topics covered in K-8 and general high school.

• Like 2

I added a Thinking Tree journal and one of their spelling books to my 7th grader's curriculum this year. They are perfect for the artistic kiddo, lots of drawing and coloring and you can use it for any subject you want. Mine loves it. You can see them at funschoolingbooks dot com. 

• Like 2

There are Teaching ______ through Art books at Rainbow Resources. (Literature is one I remember and maybe Science?).

My artsy kid is also my writer, so for history, she keeps a notebook. She writes summaries and sometimes adds a picture. Samples in this thread. (Edited to add: I see she's using Human Odyssey. That's the book my dd#2 used last year when doing the summaries/pictures shown in the linked thread.)

Other subjects get doodles across the pages.

Edited to add links. Looks like there is a whole set of Teaching (subject) through Art. I'd try one & see what your kid thinks of it before buying the whole package. I'm not sure how much sketching there is.

Edited by RootAnn
  • Like 1