Menu

Deodorants w/o aluminum that work?

Laurie4b

I use Tom's of Maine.  But if your deodorant has stopped working try this:  After showering, put some rubbing alcohol on your armpits and let it dry before applying the deodorant each day for a few days.  It really works!

• Like 4

I love Chrystal.

That said in order to use natural stuff, detox needs to be regular for there to be no stink.

One a month I use Apple Cider vinegar and redmonds clay and mask my pits. I take zinc each day. And do formal whole body detox once a year usually in Jan.

• Like 1

Naturally Fresh Deodorant Crystal (we use the roll-on).  It comes in unscented, lavender, ocean breeze...as a roll-on or stick or even body spray.  I think it works pretty well and we started our youngest on the unscented when he was 9.  I'm trying to get others on board but we have some heavy sweaters in this house!  LOL

• Like 1

I didn't have good luck with the ones I've tried. I think it was Tom's of Maine. I've also got Jason's. The first few times I wore Jason's I thought it worked but then changed my mind as the day went on/time went by. I used to use some roll on kind. That never worked well for me, either.

I'm guessing some of this has to do with the person's own body chemistry?

• Like 2

I have tried a number of them, but in the heat of these desert summers I end up using a lot of regular antiperspirant. I have never tried Milk of Magnesia. How does that work? I looked it up on Amazon and interestingly it also suggested fillable roll on deodorant bottles. I take it a lot of people use it that way.

I have tried a number of them, but in the heat of these desert summers I end up using a lot of regular antiperspirant. I have never tried Milk of Magnesia. How does that work? I looked it up on Amazon and interestingly it also suggested fillable roll on deodorant bottles. I take it a lot of people use it that way.

I just use a cotton pad or toilet paper folded up and dab it on. I have it in a little silicone bottle I bought on the trial-size aisle at Target. I have thought about getting a refillable roll-on bottle but just haven't yet.

I should add that with the peroxide, I can stank and need a shower, and there is no smell after applying it even on pits that haven't been freshly showered. I have horrible BO, stink just a few hours after showering (if didn't apply the peroxide), and this is the only natural thing that has worked for me. Love it.

Edited by ifIonlyhadabrain
  • Like 2

I have never tried Milk of Magnesia. How does that work? I looked it up on Amazon and interestingly it also suggested fillable roll on deodorant bottles. I take it a lot of people use it that way.

I put mine in a small canister with a screw-on top. It's a size that works for air travel. It usually thickens a little over time after I open the bottle. If it gets too thick, I put a little more fresh stuff in to loosen it up (shake it to blend). I just put it on with clean fingers.

M of M is the only deodorant that has ever worked for me outside of a heavy duty antiperspirant. 

• Like 2

I put mine in a small canister with a screw-on top. It's a size that works for air travel. It usually thickens a little over time after I open the bottle. If it gets too thick, I put a little more fresh stuff in to loosen it up (shake it to blend). I just put it on with clean fingers.

M of M is the only deodorant that has ever worked for me outside of a heavy duty antiperspirant. 

I have my original blue bottle sitting upside down on my bathroom windowsill.  It has gotten very thick and every now and then I have to add distilled water to thin it back down to a usable consistency.  I like it to be a thick cream, and I just apply it with my fingers and rub it in 'til dry.  I've used that same bottle for years (just checked, and my bottle expired in 2015!), and there's still a lot left.

Also, I had never heard of Schmidt's deodorant, so just checked it out.  Their 'sensitive' deodorant has magnesium hydroxide (the active ingredient in Milk of Magnesia)!  So it seems some manufacturers are starting to catch on.

This product popped up in my facebook. I thought charcoal was bad to enter the body, though??

https://www.piperwai.com/

Activated charcoal absorbs many kinds of poisons and toxins. It's commonly recommended to be kept in first aid kits for accidental overdose or poisoning of various kinds (as advised by poison control which ones!). 

Some people take it internally for other reasons some of which might be a bit woo.

It's a sensible choice to use externally, seems to me.

Well, she specifically asked for deodorants without aluminum.  Alvera aloe and almonds has aluminum in it.

Well, obviously I didn't think it had aluminum or I wouldn't have recommended!

And now I'm freaked out as I've been using for years thinking it was aluminum free.

Well, obviously I didn't think it had aluminum or I wouldn't have recommended!

And now I'm freaked out as I've been using for years thinking it was aluminum free.

I used to use it too, thinking it was aluminum free.  I thought it was great because it seemed to keep me dry, as well as odor free (eyeroll).  

The company doesn't exactly lie; nowhere do they claim to be aluminum free.   Alcloxa contains allantoin, as they point out in the ingredients list.  But they neglect to mention that it also contains aluminum chlorohydrate.  They know their target customer cares about things like aluminum in deodorant, so the omission is deliberate.  So shady.

Give Milk of Magnesia a try.  It's pretty cheap, so you're not out much if it doesn't work for you.

Has that ever bleached your clothes?

Rubbing alcohol works the same (or even gel hand sanitizer in a pinch), when you kill the bacteria the odor is gone. It's good for a mid-day touch up if you need it.

I rub my feet with an alcohol soaked cotton ball after wearing my sneakers without socks cause they stink. 😜

I haven't read all of the replies.   This thread sounds similar to one I may have posted a while back or another (I think).  Anyway, the natural works to eliminate odor.  There are many flowers and what not to deal with the stinky underarms.  However, the aluminum eliminates sweat.   That's what I've always understood.  The natural doesn't really have a way to eliminate sweat/perspiration b/c there is no aluminum in it.  Is that what y'all understand?  However, I was told products which contain Lichen may help "a bit" with perspiration.

Replies to this, please!  :)