Menu

Looking for a shoe to replace my crocs

Cosmos

I wear the original, clunky, bright colored crocs as house slippers. I wear my crocs pretty much all the time I am inside my house. I also like that I can wear them for quick outside trips (like to get the newspaper). Mine are probably 12 years old and there are nickel-sized holes worn through the bottoms. They really need to go, but I have no idea what to replace them with.

I really like the feel of the material -- the shoe is much larger than my foot, so the top of the shoe doesn't touch the top of my foot. It just hovers over it like a roof. But the material is grippy enough that my foot doesn't slide around. I do not want anything like a slipper that encases my foot in fluffy stuff. I don't want ballet flats or flip flops or sandals or tennis shoes.

Here is what I love and want to replicate:

1. My feet slip in and out easily with no hands.

2. I can wear them with socks or without.

3. They are warm in winter and cool in summer (it's like magic!).

4. They have plenty of traction for wood and tile floors.

5. They are soooo comfortable.

6. The very loose fit -- it feels like I'm barefoot (but actually going barefoot makes my feet hurt).

Here's what I hate:

1. They are ugly.

2. So incredibly ugly.

3. How can I spend money on something so ugly?

The only thing I have found that's remotely close is a Haflinger clog. I could use that as a house shoe in the winter. It's closer fitting than I would prefer, but in winter that probably wouldn't bother me so much. And it would give me a nice pair to take with me to friends' houses to change into when I take my boots off. I don't take my crocs anywhere.

But the Haflinger wouldn't work in the summer with no socks. So I would still need a summer shoe. Is there anything else out there I should consider?  Or should I just embrace the ugly? After all, I only wear them in the privacy of my own house. And they suit my needs in every other way.

There are some less ugly Crocs than the original clogs. The flip flops are pretty comfortable. My mother has switched to those from the Orthaheels for her plantar fasciitis. I hate wearing shoes myself, and wear Birkenstock Gizeh sandals as much as humanly possible. I tell myself they are cuter than some Birks. ;)

• Like 2

Stupid question, but: What are crocs?

Crocs

I don't think they're particularly ugly, even the classic Crocs. Certainly they're no uglier than a lot of shoes that get raves on here about being cute. I'm thinking about Keen sandals as a comparison. Now IMO most of those ARE ugly. Incredibly ugly.

I guess it really is in the eye of the beholder. ;)