Menu

Uplifting, humorous, happy, feel-good books?

Greta

This is for my 17-year old daughter. Right now she needs really light-hearted, fun books without conflict or suffering. She's not an avid reader, so anything you recommend is likely to be new to her. She likes science fiction and modern day fiction, but isn't crazy about fantasy or historical stuff. If a romance is a part of the story that's fine, but she doesn't like romance as a genre.

I'm not sure what to recommend to her since my tastes run a little different. The only thing I can think of is The Hitchhiker's Guide, and she's already read that. Oh, maybe Have Space Suit - Will Travel. That's all I've got.

Does she like mysteries?  A couple of my dd's got into the Mrs. Pollifax mysteries at that age.  They're quite light-hearted, about an elderly woman who joins the CIA.  

This is the first one:

https://www.amazon.com/Unexpected-Mrs-Pollifax-Dorothy-Gilman/dp/0449208281/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1497373509&sr=1-1&keywords=the+unexpected+mrs+pollifax

• Like 2

Does she like mysteries? A couple of my dd's got into the Mrs. Pollifax mysteries at that age. They're quite light-hearted, about an elderly woman who joins the CIA.

This is the first one:

https://www.amazon.com/Unexpected-Mrs-Pollifax-Dorothy-Gilman/dp/0449208281/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1497373509&sr=1-1&keywords=the+unexpected+mrs+pollifax

Sounds fun! I might like to read them myself. Thanks!

Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet by Becky Chambers.  (There is a mostly tame same sex relationship that is a pretty peripheral storyline, just in case you care, but this book was fun!)  

Also, did she read The Martian? Even though it was sort of an intense plot, the main character's humor keeps it light.

A British sci-fi comedy:  The Red Dwarf series (you'll have to find the order of these)

Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency by Douglas Adams, if she can handle the weirdness.  lol

• Like 1

Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet by Becky Chambers.  (There is a mostly tame same sex relationship that is a pretty peripheral storyline, just in case you care, but this book was fun!)  

Also, did she read The Martian? Even though it was sort of an intense plot, the main character's humor keeps it light.

A British sci-fi comedy:  The Red Dwarf series (you'll have to find the order of these)

Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency by Douglas Adams, if she can handle the weirdness.  lol

She will love these!  Thanks!

Jasper Fforde books are quite funny. She might like the Thursday Next books. 

The first one is The Eyre Affair.

http://www.penguinrandomhouse.com/books/286439/the-eyre-affair-by-jasper-fforde/9780142001806/

That sounds really unusual and fun - can't wait to read this one myself, and she'll like it too.

James Herriot's All Creatures Great and Small series is wonderfully written and often laugh-out-loud funny.

I have heard such great things about those books and yet I've never read them.  Thank you for the reminder!  I bet she will like them.

• Like 1