Menu

language arts for 1st/2nd grade & 4th/5th grade

Katiebug1976

Whats the best way to cover grammar through narration/dictation/copywork, spelling & writing without overkill. I'm struggling with too many workbooks and trying figure out a way to combine/streamline some things without sacrificing education. I keep going back to the early school days and using McGuffey readers, but I'm just not sure how to make something like that work. I'd love to hear some other opinions & ideas.

I can only comment on the younger grades. All About Spelling (AAS) is great for spelling plus its reusable so you'd have it ready for your youngest. English Lessons Through Literature (ELTL) is another one that's easy to use and it's reusable. It also has an optional copybook so the child can copy directly under the words. Writing With Ease (WWE) is also great for copywork and beginning writing.

• Like 1

We focus more on progression than grade level...

Phonics: til they are done (We use AAR 1-4)

Spelling: We use All About Spelling 1-3/4 (however far they get) and then Switch to Megawords in 4th grade

Handwriting: learn proper letter formation/strokes (we use Handwriting without Tears pre-k, K, and 1 and then switch to copywork-- however long that takes)

Grammar: First Languages lesson 1-2, IEW Fix It Grammar starting in 3rd. Then depending on the child -- continue with Fix It or start Analytical Grammar in 6th

Writing: Copywork, good sentences, good paragraphs, good essays. We have used WWE, CAP, Bravewriter, Treasured Conversations (we use this in 4th grade) WWS...homemade stuff...

We mainly use copywork/dictation/narration to writing/grammar reinforcement/handwriting (once they are forming letters correctly and easily).

I like doing a Bravewriter/WWE combo-- we pick a book a month, and do copywork, narration, and dictation from that lit pick. (Brave Writer Arrows are a great way to start this). Once they know the parts of speech, we use the copywork to label the parts of speech (we use different color colored pencils), also reverse dictation with the copywork-- making it an editing exercise for grammar. This reinforces the grammar they are learning. 

Narrations are a progression as well. We start with Them giving me a summary and i write it for them. After that is mastered they summarize, I write it down, they copy all or part. Then as they master that they start to write their own narration. -- We do narration in many subjects. Sometimes they illustrate it. We have some fun books the kids have made doing this-- Fairy Tales, Greek Myths, Aesops Fables.... 

Some years I have used a curriculum, some years I have done it on my own. Some years I didn't use a separate grammar and we just tied it in with our writing. We do keep spelling as a separate curriculum, my kids need it. ;) 

• Like 1

Whats the best way to cover grammar through narration/dictation/copywork, spelling & writing without overkill. I'm struggling with too many workbooks and trying figure out a way to combine/streamline some things without sacrificing education. I keep going back to the early school days and using McGuffey readers, but I'm just not sure how to make something like that work. I'd love to hear some other opinions & ideas.

Are you wanting all components of "language arts," or only grammar?

For myself, I think I do better if I have a specific thing: something for grammar (although I don't do grammar with children younger than 10 or so), something for writing, maybe/maybe not something for spelling (which I also don't do with children younger than 10 or so). Reading/literature is also part of "language arts;" I tend not to do anything except read good books when the children are younger, with something more formal for literature study when they dc are high school-age (full disclosure: we did community college instead of high school beginning when the dc were 14yo, so literature was done there). I'd have to ponder something like Lightening Literature, or even an anthology from BJUP.

Are you wanting all components of "language arts," or only grammar?

For myself, I think I do better if I have a specific thing: something for grammar (although I don't do grammar with children younger than 10 or so), something for writing, maybe/maybe not something for spelling (which I also don't do with children younger than 10 or so). Reading/literature is also part of "language arts;" I tend not to do anything except read good books when the children are younger, with something more formal for literature study when they dc are high school-age (full disclosure: we did community college instead of high school beginning when the dc were 14yo, so literature was done there). I'd have to ponder something like Lightening Literature, or even an anthology from BJUP.

I'm looking for a way to streamline our language arts(grammar, spelling, & writing)...having a different curriculum or book for each individual subject is just not working for my kiddos (or me)...I need a way to make learning more enjoyable instead of "get out the book and do the lesson." School is starting to be a struggle and we need a new perspective.