Menu

Zion National Park hike suggestions

SunshineMom

Unfortunately I don't remember the names of the hikes we did--I think there were only two. One went to a waterfall; the details are fuzzy. But I just wanted to say have a great time! We weren't there very long but we really enjoyed it. Are you going to any of the other NPs in Utah?

We did the Narrows top down. It is very long as a day hike, doing it as an overnight is recommended. You need a permit to do that - have you done a reservation? https://www.nps.gov/zion/planyourvisit/narrowspermits.htm

Walking in a little ways from the bottom does not need a permit; you will, however, walk shoulder to shoulder with hundreds of other tourists.

Wear sturdy shoes. you will walk in the creek. Old hiking shoes are good; there are some slick volcanic boulders in the creek that are very slippery. Walking stick highly recommended. Water shoes recommended by PP may work for splashing around on the bottom part; I would strongly advise you not to wear water shoes for the real hike; you want better support in the terrain.

Another great canyon hike is the Left fork North creek (the "subway"); a bit more challenging that the Narrows, we had to swim and rapel. This, too, requires a permit.

A great non-canyon hike is Angels Landing. That works only if you are sure footed and not afraid of heights. http://www.zionnational-park.com/zion-angels-landing-trail.htm

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 2

We did Angels Landing and Emerald Pools.

DS has mild cerebral palsy and tires easily. We started up Angels Landing knowing that we would turn around whenever he got too tired or I got uncomfortable with him hiking that trail. We made it to the top. The trail is much wider than it looks and most of the drop offs aren't as bad as they appear, until you get to the very top. It is an extreme hike, though. We made a lot of stops! DS has hiked a lot and we know our limits. This one tested that, but it was a great hike.

We did the Narrows top down. It is very long as a day hike, doing it as an overnight is recommended. You need a permit to do that - have you done a reservation? https://www.nps.gov/zion/planyourvisit/narrowspermits.htm

Walking in a little ways from the bottom does not need a permit; you will, however, walk shoulder to shoulder with hundreds of other tourists.

Wear sturdy shoes. you will walk in the creek. Old hiking shoes are good; there are some slick volcanic boulders in the creek that are very slippery. Walking stick highly recommended. Water shoes recommended by PP may work for splashing around on the bottom part; I would strongly advise you not to wear water shoes for the real hike; you want better support in the terrain.

Another great canyon hike is the Left fork North creek (the "subway"); a bit more challenging that the Narrows, we had to swim and rapel. This, too, requires a permit.

A great non-canyon hike is Angels Landing. That works only if you are sure footed and not afraid of heights. http://www.zionnational-park.com/zion-angels-landing-trail.htm

dd loves angel's landing - and it planning on doing it again in july when she's at Zion's.

Thanks everyone! We are renting "river boots and walking sticks" for the Narrows hike. We will probably only do a portion of that hike, maybe six miles. The temperature is rising quickly, it's gonna be 100 tomorrow. We are starting as early as we can. I'll look at Angles Falls again--thank you!

Thanks everyone! We are renting "river boots and walking sticks" for the Narrows hike. We will probably only do a portion of that hike, maybe six miles. The temperature is rising quickly, it's gonna be 100 tomorrow. We are starting as early as we can. I'll look at Angles Falls again--thank you!

did you mean angel's landing?

or archangel falls?

two separate trails.

Edited by gardenmom5

We had a great time in Zion!  We hiked the Narrows, the upper, middle and lower Emerald Pools and Taylor Creek Trail.  Didn't attempt Angel's Landing (sorry it's not Angel Falls).  We tried to hike in the mornings however we did Taylor Creek Trail in the afternoon (97degrees) so it took us three hours to complete.  We could have spent a few more days exploring Kolob Canyon as well. We stayed at a B&B with a pool which we had to ourselves. Lovely trip!

Edited by Jewels
  • Like 1