Menu

If you are not into the latest blockbuster movies . . .

Jenny in Florida

. . . what, if any, films are you looking forward to seeing this summer?

(The background here is that I used to love movies and, more specifically, going to the movie theatre. I grew up going to the movies regularly, and my husband and I used to see multiple movies each weekend. In more recent years, I've had more and more trouble finding anything I want to see and am often disappointed when I do bestir myself to get to the theatre. But summer is here, and I'd love to be able to hit a movie now and then.)

I saw Colossal a couple of weeks ago and enjoyed it very much. 

I am intrigued by Tulip Fever -- because who doesn't love a Tom Stoppard script? -- but it won't be released until August. At least that gives me plenty of time to read the book first.

Not "movies," exactly, but I'm hoping to catch the filmed version of the recent Falsettos revival, which will have a limited run in July. And I may try to see a couple of the filmed ballets being shown at our fancy-schmancy dine-in theatre. 

I sat through all of the previews at the Wonder Woman screening last weekend, hoping to discover at least one or two flicks that looked like fun, but didn't see anything promising. And I've perused the assorted lists online of summer releases without seeing much that appeals. 

So, if you have weird taste like mine, what are you planning to see between now and fall?

Edited by Jenny in Florida

My first thought was the Falsettos screening, but I see you know about that.

I'm pretty sure the previews they played at Wonder Woman were geared towards people who like that type of movie, so lots of explosions and machismo.  Of those I recall there, Megan Leavey looked the most interesting.  Although I'm not a fan of going to movies that are going to make me cry, so I'll probably want to see it in private.

I haven't been to the movies since ds was born nearly two years ago, but I can dream, right? Fwiw, I tend to weird, horror, foreign, scifi movies, or any combination of the above.

The Lobster from 2015, but playing locally this summer :D :

The Bad Batch:

Mildly interested in this comedy, The Little Hours:

REDBAND TRAILER

Hm. I'm not sure we share a common taste in movies, but you did see colossal...

Sofia Coppola is having a movie this summer about a girls' school in the Civil War period that is suppose to be good for what it is, but I can't remember the name.

I don't see much that interests me at the theater these days.  I tend to look for the broadcasts of plays and operas from the Met or National Theater.

A far as the summer, Dunkirk looks like it might be good if you like war films.  Menashe looks kind of interesting though it might be a downer.  Maudie came out earlier this month here, as its local interest, and some friends of mine enjoyed it.  Beatriz at Dinner looks like it might be funny - I really like John Lithgow. 

But I really, really want to see Churchill, which has Brian Cox, one of my all time favorite actors, in the lead.  Plus, I love movies about W.C., for some reason - so it could hardly fail for me.

I haven't been to the movies since ds was born nearly two years ago, but I can dream, right? Fwiw, I tend to weird, horror, foreign, scifi movies, or any combination of the above.

The Lobster from 2015, but playing locally this summer :D :

The Bad Batch:

Mildly interested in this comedy, The Little Hours:

REDBAND TRAILER

Hm. I'm not sure we share a common taste in movies, but you did see colossal...

Sofia Coppola is having a movie this summer about a girls' school in the Civil War period that is suppose to be good for what it is, but I can't remember the name.

I like weird, foreign and SF, but not horror or anything that treads even close to it. I don't like anything scary or violent (except in the rare cases in which the violence is integral to making a point of some kind - Hunger Games, for example). I have low-to-no tolerance for bad things happening to children or animals. 

I was intrigued by the idea of The Lobster when it came out, but ended up skipping it after reading that animal lovers might find it a tough go.

The Sofia Coppola film I think you're referring to is The Beguiled, an adaptation of a novel from the 1960s (which I'm pretty sure was already made into a film once before). Doesn't look like my kind of thing.

Our group is looking forward to the National Theatre Live broadcast of Angels in America, Parts 1 and 2.

My husband and I saw the broadcast of Amadeus and loved it!

Unfortunately for me, those National Theatre feeds often happen during times when I have to be at work (I assume because of the time shift). So many of the ones I want to see wind up being mid-mornings or early afternoons on Sundays, and I work from 1:00 - 6:00. 

I am looking forward to Rosencrantz and Guildenstern. It's not until November, but it's on a Saturday morning when I'm free to go!

I don't see much that interests me at the theater these days.  I tend to look for the broadcasts of plays and operas from the Met or National Theater.

A far as the summer, Dunkirk looks like it might be good if you like war films.  Menashe looks kind of interesting though it might be a downer.  Maudie came out earlier this month here, as its local interest, and some friends of mine enjoyed it.  Beatriz at Dinner looks like it might be funny - I really like John Lithgow. 

But I really, really want to see Churchill, which has Brian Cox, one of my all time favorite actors, in the lead.  Plus, I love movies about W.C., for some reason - so it could hardly fail for me.

I'm not generally into war movies. I did see the preview for Dunkirk the other day, and every time Kenneth Branagh's face flashed on screen, I was waiting for him to launch into the St. Crispin's day speech.

I had somehow missed Maudie completely, but it looks interesting. It apparently opens later this month in my area, although I don't see any theatres listing or promoting it just yet. I'll keep an eye open, thanks.

And, yes, I heard Salma Hayek interviewed the other day about Beatriz at Dinner and made a mental note (which I apparently promptly lost) to look up more info. Thank you for the reminder!

I'm not generally into war movies. I did see the preview for Dunkirk the other day, and every time Kenneth Branagh's face flashed on screen, I was waiting for him to launch into the St. Crispin's day speech.

I had somehow missed Maudie completely, but it looks interesting. It apparently opens later this month in my area, although I don't see any theatres listing or promoting it just yet. I'll keep an eye open, thanks.

And, yes, I heard Salma Hayek interviewed the other day about Beatriz at Dinner and made a mental note (which I apparently promptly lost) to look up more info. Thank you for the reminder!

Speaking of Branagh, he has a movie version of Murder on the Orient Express coming out.  I'm not sure if I feel that positive about it, I feel like Suchet still has Poirot wrapped up including that story, so why bother?  Plus, in the trailer didn't give me a good feeling.

Speaking of Branagh, he has a movie version of Murder on the Orient Express coming out. I'm not sure if I feel that positive about it, I feel like Suchet still has Poirot wrapped up including that story, so why bother? Plus, in the trailer didn't give me a good feeling.

And I was around for the last big-screen adaptation, too.

• Like 1