Menu

Absurdly low receipt at Texas Roadhouse - can anyone explain?

Pegasus

So, DH ate at Texas Roadhouse with a friend last week. Both ordered a 6 ounce sirloin. The friend declined all sides due to various food issues.  DH accepted his sides. Friend later ordered a dessert.  Both got soft drinks.

The finally tally, in my experience at this restaurant, should have been over $30. The receipt they received was only $14.  It doesn't appear to the be case of the server simply leaving something off.  Any ideas?  Here is what the receipt showed:

2 sir & coke         $14

Dessert bundle    $0

• Like 1

You can look up the location and see if there are any specials happening. That seems lower than any on google though. Why didn't the guys ask what happened when they got the receipt to make sure they were being charged properly? We have had things left off the bill accidentally before, and we don't want the server having to pay for it at the end of the night.

You can look up the location and see if there are any specials happening. That seems lower than any on google though. Why didn't the guys ask what happened when they got the receipt to make sure they were being charged properly? We have had things left off the bill accidentally before, and we don't want the server having to pay for it at the end of the night.

Is that even legal?  That they'd be made to pay for mistakes?

I didn't think that was how it worked.

it would be how to prevent people from ringing up their friends without paying for most of their dinner.  yes, it happens.  that's one reason why costco checks receipts - because there is a history of clerks in the retail industry not ringing up their friends for high ticket items.  I know I had one (who was acquainted with my sister) "offer" to give me both items I was looking at, but only charge me for one, because I could only afford one of them.  I declined.

if they are really concerned about it - they can call and ask the manager.

eta:not saying this one is deliberate - could easily have been an error.  or a twofer.  though that doesn't explain the free dessert.

Edited by gardenmom5

I don't know now. It used to be. I'm not going to steal from a restaurant even if it's not the case now.

Oh no totally.

Many many MANY years ago I worked in a pizza place.  I accidentally left off a charge for a coffee (very inexpensive) and the bill was quite large.  They expected me to pay for it.  I did and then quit.  I thought that was pretty outrageous.  They did all sorts of illegal things there though so they were just crummy arseholes to work for anyway. 

• Like 3

Now THAT is not legal. At least not according to what I read.

Just didn't know it was legal to hold them accountable for an item not listed.

It depends on what state you're in. Federal labor laws only prohibit the practice if the dockage in tips would put the server below minimum wage. http://www.slate.com/articles/life/food/2013/12/suzanne_parratt_servers_being_forced_to_pay_for_walkouts_is_surprisingly.html

• Like 1

It is a very common practice in restaurants. Or at least it was when I served. And ds served tables about five years ago, with similar policies. If a table walks out without paying, the server is often responsible.

it would be how to prevent people from ringing up their friends without paying for most of their dinner.  yes, it happens.  that's one reason why costco checks receipts - because there is a history of clerks in the retail industry not ringing up their friends for high ticket items.  I know I had one (who was acquainted with my sister) "offer" to give me both items I was looking at, but only charge me for one, because I could only afford one of them.  I declined.

if they are really concerned about it - they can call and ask the manager.

eta:not saying this one is deliberate - could easily have been an error.  or a twofer.  though that doesn't explain the free dessert.

Is it possible that they comped the dessert as a way to make up for the lack of sides?

Is it possible that they comped the dessert as a way to make up for the lack of sides?

if they charged the same for the dinner but without sides it's possible - but who knows.

I've been comp'd dessert a number of times - but it's always been when something went wrong.  though I didn't even get an apology the last time, when I was brought the wrong entree (re; NOT what I ordered).   because of their screw up, we weren't eating at the same time.  did put a damper on things.  an over priced local chain that someone gave us a gift card for - not one I'd ever voluntarily go to.  (lots of hype, mediocre food, and very overpriced)

I refuse to go to a local chain steak restaurant because it's their policy to hold servers responsible for patrons who skip out on the bill.

Now THAT is not legal.  At least not according to what I read. 

Just didn't know it was legal to hold them accountable for an item not listed.

It is a very common practice in restaurants. Or at least it was when I served. And ds served tables about five years ago, with similar policies. If a table walks out without paying, the server is often responsible.

When I worked as a server, the very last thing you did was to cash out and bring the balance to zero. Meaning for your entire shift you are closing out tables in either cash or credit. If they pay cash, you give them change from your personal bank (that you are always responsible for having on your person). There is no cash drawer. You have to always have $50 in cash on your person to make change for your tables. At the end of the night, you turn in however much cash you are holding that actually belongs to the restaurant. The rest is your tips. 

So, if a person skips out on a bill, you are responsible for zeroing that out. Now, I think a good manager would have compassion on his employee if it's a full bill. But if it's just that you got shortchanged? Well, you're kind of stuck.

This also stinks if you get undertipped, because you are also paying 3% back to the bar/bussers in tip share. That's why a standard gratuity is 18%. 15% goes to the server, 3% is the tip back to the other staff.