Menu

Seeking recommendations for diverse international books/lit (AKA "The Danger of a Single Story")

ETA: This (a TED talk by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie entitled The Danger of a Single Story) is what I'm thinking as I ask this question.

I'm putting together an international reading list. Again, LOL. I want many different kinds of books about as many different countries and cultures as I can find. I have so very many books about kids fleeing from war-torn countries, life in miserable situations, etc. I want more balance. Even in some of the of the scarier places of the world, I'm sure there must be books describing the culture during happier times. I would also be happy for recommendations for non-fiction books about the country (wildlife, sights, etc.). 

I'm looking for any country, any age level, but middle/high school level are most needed by me personally.

Also, I have seen many (probably all, LOL) of the lists floating around and have looked at different curriculum providers, so at this point I am mostly looking for personal recommendations for books you've read/used yourself. 

I will be happy to list the books when I am finished compiling the list, but I sure wouldn't mind help finding books.

Edited by Alte Veste Academy

Are you looking for books (possibly in translation) by people from other countries and cultures?

Or American or other native English language country authors books about other countries and cultures?

Views from inside about whatever they are about?

Or views from outside about other  cultures and countries?

Are you looking for books (possibly in translation) by people from other countries and cultures?

Or American or other native English language country authors books about other countries and cultures?

Views from inside about whatever they are about?

Or views from outside about other  cultures and countries?

Preferably, yes to the first and third questions. Generally speaking, I think that books written by outsiders, vacationers, etc. will not give as realistic a POV as those written by natives. I'm open to all suggestions. I will say, however, that I have a lot of books listed as from another country's POV with a note for immigration. So I've already got LOTS of this is what it is like to be an Iranian, Mexican, Sudanese, etc. immigrant in America and not enough (balance, for my taste) of this is what it's like to be a native person in my own country

I've got a copy of this list printed somewhere, LOL. It's adult books though, with lots of mature content. Although some will certainly work, I'm looking for as many suggestions as possible for middle/high school. 

Where the Streets Had a Name is a good one.

Yassmin's autobiography has a bit of language, so is probably better for high school. I don't usually enjoy autobiographies but I enjoyed this one.

The Kabul Beauty School might be another for high school level.

These are great, thanks. And I don't mind language. I've got to get these people socialized, after all. LOL DH is horrified sometimes by the things I let them hear, but it's nothing they wouldn't already have known in elementary if they went to PS. Haha/not...

• Like 1

They are a bit dated, as in I'm sure life has changed quite a bit, but how about:

Guests of the Sheikh, by Elizabeth Warnock Fernea

I, Rigoberta Menchú: An Indian Woman in Guatemala, by Rigoberta Menchú

• Like 1