Menu

Has anyone gone from iPhone6 or newer to Samsung galaxy?

Murphy101

Happy or not with that choice and why?

We are adding another teen to our plan and I'm contemplating giving them my current iPhone and using a bunch of credit on our acct towards a new phone for myself. However the new iphone7 is jackless, which does not appeal to me at all bc I don't like Bluetooth. A grown son loves his galaxy sport and im tempted to switch.

If I don't get the galaxy, I'll probably stick with iphone6plus.

Opinions? Pros/cons?

Possibly expand your horizons to include Motorola if you are contemplating moving to Android.  One of our neighbors is an Electronic Engineer and has worked for one of the major cell providers here for 20+ years.  In January 2016, I asked him which brands connected best to their towers. He told me Samsung and Motorola.  He told me (at that time) that of the last 5 phones he'd gotten, 3 were Motorola and 2 were Samsung.  2 or 3 months ago, he bought a Motorola Moto Z.   I think it is a Moto Z Play.

Of the phones in our house, 3 are Motorola, 1 is a Lenovo (Lenovo owns Motorola Mobility) and I have a very low end Samsung (late 2014) that I have a lot of respect for.

Bottom line: A Motorola Moto phone has an almost pure version of the Android OS and is somewhat easier to use than a Samsung. Samsung changes a lot of menus and is somewhat more difficult to navigate, but after using one for more than a year, it seems "normal" to me.

Good luck with whatever you buy!

Just for what it is worth...the jackless thing has been an issue precisely one time, when I wanted to charge and listen at the same time, on a long flight.  I don't do Bluetooth, either.  I was ticked off about it at first, but realize now that it just ... doesn't matter.

I absolutely do not one another dadblum thing I have to bleeping charge or put batteries in it - hence my adamant aversion to Bluetooth. So I will either get the iPhone6sPLUS or the galaxy. 🙂

The cable adapters I mentioned don't require charging or batteries. You can charge and listen.

I'm not a fan of this decision by Apple myself. But I'd endure before going Android.

Bill (who bleeds in 6 colors :D)

Edited by Spy Car
  • Like 3

Not that it is ideal, but there are $10 adapters that allow one to charge and listen (on standard headphones with mini-plugs) at the same time.

Bill

I'm confused then bc if the adapter doesn't need charging or batteries - then what do you mean by "charge and listen"?

Your other post says "change and listen" and that's not one bit clearer for me.

I am open to enlightenment bc I'd been apple for over a decade and have a Mac too. But I've been very disappointed in the Apple upgrade and update offerings lately and have not wanted them. For money, they really don't have much to offer over the competition anymore. And seriously, that Galaxy seems to be jumping ahead of Apple in features. I'm certain I won't get the iPhone 7. What a waste. I'll just get a 6sPlus for far less $$. Maybe the iPhone8 will make up for a couple years of disappointment though.

I'm confused then bc if the adapter doesn't need charging or batteries - then what do you mean by "charge and listen"?

I am open to enlightenment bc I'd been apple for over a decade and have a Mac too. But I've been very disappointed in the Apple upgrade and update offerings lately and have not wanted them. For money, they really don't have much to offer over the competition anymore. And seriously, that Galaxy seems to be jumping ahead of Apple in features. I'm certain I won't get the iPhone 7. What a waste. I'll just get a 6sPlus for far less $$. Maybe the iPhone8 will make up for a couple years of disappointment though.

It is a cable that "splits." It has both a "lightning port" (for the charging) but also a standard mini plug jack so one can use headphones at the same time one charges the phone.

There are also adapters that go from lightning port to mini plug that allow the use of standard headphones that don't have a "splitter" that allows one to charge and listen. I could see a person who uses headphones frequently wanting one adapter of each type.

Is this a bit of a pain? Undeniably. But the tech issue is surmountable if an iPhone is what you really want.

Bill 

Edited by Spy Car
  • Like 1

Like Spy Car said, you can get an adapter for the iPhone 7 that fits into the lightening (charging) port, into which you can plug regular (non-bluetooth) headphones.  (Maybe this actually comes with the phone; not sure.)

The problem with that is you can't charge (using the lightening port) and listen (with the adapter) at the same time, because they use the same port.

So they make *another* kind of adapter, which plugs into the lightening (charging) port, on which there are *two* ports, one into which you can plug the charging cord, and the other into which you can plug regular headphones.  

In the end, after researching it all, I upgraded from my iPhone 4s to an iPhone SE, which is recent enough that it should last a few years and "old school" enough that I can use it the way I'm used to using the 4s.

I like the SE option and there was only one reason I didn't go that way. I can't remember what it was tho.

Apple used that space saved by a jack and made the battery last longer. Good trade in my opinion.

I have switched my whole platform to Apple due to my iPhone commitment so bear that in mind. But also bear in mind that my ds switched back to iPhone agree three years on android and that my dh swears at his Samsung a lot more that I do at my iPhone. Haha.

Something like this.

2 in 1 Lightning to 3.5mm Audio Adapter, ADABUNNY Lightning Charger, Lightning to 3.5mm Aux Headphone Jack Adapter for iphone 7 / 7 plus [No Calling Function and No Music Control] (2 in 1-rose gold) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N19UKLE/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_bSnpzb3FPD0G4

My mother, a long time iphone user, just ditched her iphone 6 plus for a samsung galaxy S8. She is very happy with the switch. She was sick of the bugs and problems she was having with such an expensive phone that she preordered and paid a premium for.