Menu

Housewarming ideas for new apartment for dd and boyfriend

Only me

My daughter is moving out next week and is moving in with her boyfriend 1200 miles away. I've posted about the situation before. It's been a tough year with our relationship but it's gotten better. I won't get into details but we weren't happy with the situation at first. I have always believed that you didn't move in with someone until you are married. She is almost 25 so it's her decision and I've come to accept it. I don't condone it but she seems very happy so I'm happy for her.

I would like to buy them something for their new apartment and will be sending it there in a week or two. I have no idea what to get. He is a bit older and has been living on his own awhile so he seems to have most of the basics. Actually he was living with friends so I'm not sure how much stuff was his. His parents bought them a living room set and a few more things so between that and stuff he already has they say they don't need anything. We have only met him once so I know very little about his tastes. I also figure we will hold off on a bigger gift until they get married (he is saving for a ring) but I definitely want to give them something. I am unable to go out shopping since I recently had major back surgery and I'm recovering. I will have to buy it online. i find this difficult since I can't really browse stores looking for ideas. I would appreciate ideas. I'm hoping to spend 50-100 but it can be on more than one thing.

amazon - and they deliver.

pots, pans, (just one decent quality one in a useful size.)

bake ware,  cooling racks

knives, cutting board

casseroles/serve ware

I'd already purchased dd's christmas present the christmas she got engaged . . but it was a queen duvet set (and dsil had a queen bed.  he'd been living on his own.  she was a starving student who owned little.).  and to think she told me she'd only need a twin . . . .

and gift cards may be boring - but they may realize there are things they'd find useful of which they're not yet aware.  dd did a lot of "we need this" . . but dsil - didn't cook.  it's quite sad how much he "didn't cook".

• Like 3

Do they use Amazon a lot? I think an Amazon Echo or Dot would fall into that price range, and be something they probably don't have. I LOVE mine, if only for the ability to tell it to put stuff on my shopping list. More a fun thing than practical. 

Otherwise a gift card to a grocery store local to them? Moving inevitably means restocking the fridge and pantry a bit in my experience. If this was the daughter going to Florida, Publix is our store of choice here :)  If nothing else, Publix subs are the best. 

A friend's mom always gives the same thing, it's a "person" made out of a mop, bucket, and a bunch of cleaning supplies. You couldn't ship it that way, but could send (via amazon) a package of cleaning supplies, although he may already have that stuff. 

Edited by ktgrok
  • Like 1

amazon gift card....they can pick out what they want or need.

You could send them a big amazon pantry type box with necessities such as pantry supplies.  Everyone needs flour, sugar, salt, napkins, paper towels, etc.  Not very original or even fancy, but if they are on a limited budget, it should be appreciated.

IF you know what they need or want, such as everyday glassware, everyday china, placemats, bedding, throw blankets, towels, etc, that would be fancier. 

Just recently, one of dd's friends moving into their own apartment, wanted a tea kettle and ground coffee and various teas.  That was a fun box to put together.

Edited by HollyDay
  • Like 4

When I really have no clue I go to consumables and maybe with some fun kithen gadgets.  Like a gourmet food basket.  When they marry, they can register for stuff that is their style that they don't really have.

It sounds like they are serious!  I hope it goes well for them!  :)

Edited by WoolySocks
  • Like 1

I have been thinking lately about this. I have been married 21 years and I have very little left from shower/ wedding gifts. Three things have endured: a large plastic cutting board I use constantly, a card table, and a couple of beach towels. They certainly didn't mean much to me at the time but now I think about my wedding every time I use them.

A good can opener is the kind of thing you don't always want to buy yourself but is so nice to have.

• Like 5

I'd send a token gift, like a candle, and an amazon gift card so she can get what she needs. She'll inevitably stumble upon either not having something she deems necessary, like a waffle iron, or he'll own something she wants to replace like cheap knives or ratty towels.

• Like 3

Kitchen gadget or small appliance you know she uses, along with favorite recipes or cookbooks.

Grater

Zester

garlic press

Good knives + cutting board

Cake pans

Frosting tips and bags

Rice cooker

Pressure cooker

Counter top grill

Tailor it to how you know she cooks and eats and get a matching cookbook.

If she doesn't cook at all, I'd go with towels or cleaning supplies. Then after she's been there a few months, at the next gift giving occasion I'd fish around to figure if they've started cooking and find ways to build up kitchen stuff.

• Like 2

Kitchenaid mixer? It will last forever and everyone needs one.

well, a KA hand mixer would fit in her budget.

and I got one of those too.  it's nice you can buy replacement beaters/accessories for the handmixer too.  get the 9spd. the low speed is actually . . . low.

• Like 1

amazon gift card....they can pick out what they want or need.

You could send them a big amazon pantry type box with necessities such as pantry supplies. Everyone needs flour, sugar, salt, napkins, paper towels, etc. Not very original or even fancy, but if they are on a limited budget, it should be appreciated.

IF you know what they need or want, such as everyday glassware, everyday china, placemats, bedding, throw blankets, towels, etc, that would be fancier.

Just recently, one of dd's friends moving into their own apartment, wanted a tea kettle and ground coffee and various teas. That was a fun box to put together.

I might do the Amazon box of pantry items and then send something a else a little fancier. I found a really nice pitcher at Crate and Barrel. I think anyone would like it and find it useful for every day or for company. They also both have birthdays coming up in July so I can send more then too. I completely forgot I started saving up gift cards awhile back for Target etc so I can do that too

I wish I knew her boyfriend better. I would hope he wouldn't somehow take it wrong me getting the necessities for the pantry. I don't want him to think I don't think they can manage it by themselves. My daughter doesn't cook but he does somewhat. On the other hand if his parents are buying them furniture then I think I could do this. I just know spices etc are expensive and I would have loved that when I was first married.

A year's supply of birth control? I know I am tacky, but, that stuff is expensive.

I would call you practical, not necessarily tacky :p But there are also plenty of generic brands that fall in the $4 range at target, or wherever.

Anyways, when I met bf he was an adult who had been living on his own for something like 15 years and he only had two towels. And one was ratty af. And it's Florida, right? I'm seconding towels or beach towels for them, and sending you hugs :grouphug: