Menu

My mate cannot play the piano tunefully...

Ginevra

...but that doesn't prevent him for giving it a good try...for a long time, that seems even longer. I bought him headphones before but he really wants to hear it "in the open." I am drowning him out with my Supermommy Playlist. Gritting my teeth...really need to get te pizza cooked so his hands will be busy not playing piano. And it's really too darn bad, because I LOVE hearing the piano played well. He does not have the gene. Heaven help me.

• Like 4

My kids play beautifully and I STILL demand headphones unless they're giving me a performance. I'm sorry he is enthusiastic but untalented :lol:

I feel your pain! Piano performance was my major, and though I taught piano for many years, I have to flee the room when my own ds is practicing. I just cannot manage it!

Confession: During the infamous Titanic year in which nine female students desperately tried to master "My Heart Will Go On" I wore ear plugs...industrial strength ear plugs. Bad bad teacher, bad, for shame. But it saved my sanity. I was watching the music so knew when they were making mistakes as they played - I have a real knack for being able to stalk fingers and music at the same time LOL. So I did a lot of smiling, nodding, pointing at notes, etc. and right before the student would strike the last note, while their eyes were glued to the music, I would slip an ear plug out of the ear turned away from them. I don't think they ever knew!

These were some expensive ear plugs that muffled most of it though not all. Thank goodness the dumb song was written mostly piano and pianissimo.

Sometimes wine helps! :D

Edited by FaithManor
  • Like 7

Is he the same dh who loves to sing but can't? Or was that someone else's blessing?

Same one. He doesn't sing that often, though.

He CAN play guitar. Wish he would just go with what he knows.

• Like 2

If he can play the guitar there might be hope if he had lessons. My own dh plays the fiddle with no lessons pretty well. I would love to have hours a day to devote to piano practice, I love to play, but there simply is no time.

You would think. He can't read music and I don't think he is interested in actually reading music. He learned to play guitar mostly by learning certain chords and watching a lot of YouTube bits. But he uses a similar approach in trying to learn piano and - I'm sorry but - it just sounds terrible. Ever met those people who just continuously bang out "Chopsticks" or "Heart & Soul"? It's like that, but it's his own made up group of chords. For variety, he changes the electronic effect, so it sounds like a Caliope Or a Pipe Organ or a Trumpet. 🙉

Practicing piano daily is one of my Retiree List things.

You would think. He can't read music and I don't think he is interested in actually reading music. He learned to play guitar mostly by learning certain chords and watching a lot of YouTube bits. But he uses a similar approach in trying to learn piano and - I'm sorry but - it just sounds terrible. Ever met those people who just continuously bang out "Chopsticks" or "Heart & Soul"? It's like that, but it's his own made up group of chords. For variety, he changes the electronic effect, so it sounds like a Caliope Or a Pipe Organ or a Trumpet. 🙉

Practicing piano daily is one of my Retiree List things.

Okay, I get it. Yes, you can learn a stringed instrument much easier by Youtube. He could probably learn to play the piano with chords easier than regular lessons and then he would be able to accompany people at church or whatever. I would see if he would get some lessons in chord style playing which will hopefully broaden his horizons. 

• Like 1

GarageBand on the big iPad with headphones on is great for my kids. They do play chopsticks correctly on my piano thankfully.

Else get a electronic keyboard so your husband can plug in headsets. Digital piano unfortunately cost more.

This is what we have. A very nice, full-sized, electronic piano with a headset jack AND headphones. He just doesn't like to use it with the headphones. 🙉

Can you get noise cancelling headphones? Or would that be offensive to the piano player?

My DH plays the piano really well, but even I feel like sometimes I need quiet.

I did try to get myself noise cancelling headphones once, wireless, bluetooth. It was for this purpose but also just for anytime I want no racket. I'm very sensitive to noise and bad piano is far from the only sound I would like to cancel out. But the pair I bought for myself from Amazon just did not work; it wouldn't pick up bluetooth reliably (my techy son even tried) and I sent them back. I just didn't get around to trying to replace the non-working set, and I meant to read more reviews so, hopefully, I would get a pair that worked properly. Just didn't make the effort, so I still don't have them.

I do think it bothers everyone in my family when I wear headphones and play music to drown them out, whatever it is I am drowning out. They ask me a question and I don't hear, and then they act miffed that I wasbasically unavailable to them, though I am physically present. Not that that prevents me from doing it when I need an ear break.