Menu

Gifts for nieces and nephews over 18

mum

I like my 'ruts to run in'. I have a LOT of nieces and nephews and we do give gifts at Christmas. We live quite frugally. When nieces and nephews were younger it was easier to find or make inexpensive gifts that were very nice. Now that they are older, it is harder. I like to have a gift tradition, for example nieces and nephews under 10 get $5 for birthday, over 10's get $10.

Could you share what inexpensive traditions you have for gifts for extended family? Please only share inexpensive ideas, otherwise I'll just feel discouraged! Thanks!!

My teens love Starbucks gift cards, Subway gift cards, or movie gift cards. $10 is enough for all those things.

But honestly, we have moved to no gifts for the college set from anyone but us and grandmothers. They are old enough to join the "no gift" grown ups.

• Like 6

In my family as we grew to teen/young adult, we loved to get our favorite (common) prepackaged foods on our birthdays.  For me that was a huge jar of Vlasic pickles and a family size bag of Twizzlers, or a big package of Nutter Butters.  My sister would get big bags of Doritos and a box of girl scout cookies, my other sister would get a bunch of Snow Caps, etc.  What can I say, we were easy to please.

Along those lines...

A large bag of their favorite candy (like a halloween size bag)

or a family size package of their favorite cookies

bag of decent coffee or a box of k cups if they have a machine

box(es) of tea if they're into that

microwave popcorn

cocoa mix packets

Wrap around a ribbon and add a bow and any of these will look nice.  Another idea is AA or AAA batteries.

• Like 2

This isn't our tradition, but a friend's, and we may soon copy parts of it. Her Nana always gave to I think highschool & up (maybe college up to married) gift cards to McDonald's (or similar) ($10), &/or scratch-off lottery tickets. 

I know some don't agree with playing the lottery, but the college kids in my friend's family always thought it was fun (and in Dh's family, it's the top fought over gift at the family white elephant/present swap thing). 

Gas cards, starbucks, fast food, iTunes, Amazon, all of those in varying increments are really good, whatever amount you can afford. Maybe pick a "grown up" place and make that the tradition. My experience with college-aged kids is that they'll appreciate little things like that. 

(in our family, we give all the boys Lego mini-figures, the mystery packs, 5 packs each; I haven't extended that to the nieces/nephews, but I did recently ask my boys if they want that tradition to continue as they are all getting older.....they all said YES, keep it, so my suspicion is that once you establish something, anything, as a tradition....they'll love it for the "tradition"-ness of it.)

• Like 1

Me personally, I feel like I can give gifts that look like more if I give items verses cash or gift cards. I usually buy items on sale. That way sometimes I can actually give them a few items without going over budget.

There's a young girl that joins us for Christmas at my in-law's home. She's in her 20s. Last year I got her a perfume on sale (it was a stick with two in one). The year before that I got her a watch on sale (it had a sports team on the face that she likes but I thought the watch was still attractive and feminine or unisex). The perfume was under $15 and I think the watch was around that price as well. Not sure if these types of ideas help.

I also follow bargain groups on facebook. Sometimes people will post about a sale at their local Walmart or such. Then when I'm in my store I find the same item and scan it to check the price. Clothing is probably the easiest item for me to find on sale, but as people get into their teens and older I hesitate to buy clothing.

For that age, about $10, I do a small gift that ties in with a gift card.

Starbucks/coffee card.  Ask for a free empty cup when you buy the gift card.  Fill the cup with a few favorite candies.  Jelly Belly Jelly Beans are often sold in bulk at grocery stores.  Put a fair amount Iin the cup and put the gift card in the cup.  Dollar stores sell movie theater candy here and those boxes hold a good amount for this idea.  Use their favorite candy if possible.  Mike and Ikes, Good and Plenty etc.  all look cute.

Buy a movie theater box of candy or licorice.  Tie the gift card on with ribbon.  (Hole punch the card to make tying on easy, just avoid anything important on the back.

Movie card

Subway sandwiches

Single slice pizza place

Buffalo Wild Wings is popular with the teen crowd here.

Favorite hamburger place (Five Guys, Burgerville, etc)

Amazon card

• Like 3

That's kind of how we did it in our family too with nieces and nephews.  I'd often resort to getting gift cards as well.  If they were in certain areas that had limited stores, I'd investigate stores in their area.  If they were at college, they always loved restaurant gift cards.  Of course Amazon, iTunes, Starbucks can be used almost anywhere.  I've also gotten cards for Subway, Jamba Juice, Chipotle, local pizza parlors.  Also, movie theater gift cards. 

If they live in a cold-weather climate (in the winter) I've gotten everyone wool socks (if you look during the right season, you can get them on clearance).  

• Like 1