Menu

Salt, adrenals, MTHFR and other strange questions

Spryte

Please excuse any incoherence. My brain is mush, and I can't keep things straight today.

I am a week out from an adrenal crisis (I have Addison's Disease, normally well controlled). We did not call 911, and I managed it at home with copious amounts of steroids, salt and fluids. I know now I should have gone to the hospital but somehow, for myself, I tend to think that if I can still speak, I can stay home. Oops. That's under the bridge now.

Where I am now: exhausted in a bone deep way; weak; intermittently nauseated and dizzy.

My doc and I talked last night, and we have a plan for the weekend. Salt (1/4 - 1/2 tsp in water every morning, fluids, and rest).

Now here's my question: what kind of salt? All week I've been using Himalayan Rock Salt. DH suggested I switch to something boxed, like Morton's. Maybe I'm not getting what my adrenals need from the rock salt?

But I vaguely remember something about not using that if one has the MTHFR gene mutation? Is that right?

Anyone? Thoughts? What kind of salt should I use, or does it even matter?

And if anyone has experience with something like this, I could really use encouragement.

Thanks.

Edited by Spryte

I have no idea about either the adrenals or the connection between mthfr and the salt.  But just thinking out loud, perhaps it would be more wise to supplement a variety of minerals (including potassium and other electrolytes) than only the salt.  (There are electrolyte supplements...)

• Like 1

I have no idea about either the adrenals or the connection between mthfr and the salt. But just thinking out loud, perhaps it would be more wise to supplement a variety of minerals (including potassium and other electrolytes) than only the salt. (There are electrolyte supplements...)

No.

People with Addisons can have trouble excreting excess potassium. Instead they excrete too much sodium (hence the need for sodium salt).

She needs to stick with her doctor's reccomendation.

Edited by maize
  • Like 3

"Real Salt" (brand name) and Celtic Sea Salt are supposedly among the best along with Himalayan in terms of mineral content.

I have a milder form of the mutation but have never heard any guidance on salt.

I would check out this website: http://mthfr.net/read-this-first/2012/01/25/

A search on the website would probably yield more info. There are so many articles. It's almost overwhelming.

• Like 1

No.

People with Addisons can have trouble excreting excess potassium. Instead they excrete too much sodium (hence the need for sodium salt).

She needs to stick with her doctor's reccomendation.

Thanks. I couldn't get my brain to move fast on that, but potassium is a potential problem - mine is likely on the high end right now and still coming down. I used to take potassium supplements for another condition, but had to stop as it can be life threatening with Addison's.

So it sounds like either salt is fine. That's good.

I've got my glass of salt water beside me, wishing for a magic pill.

• Like 1

One of the other minerals in Himalayan is potassium.  Since it is all natural it could vary in the amount of potassium in different batches.  Unless your doc specifically recommended Himalayan, I would stick with the stripped table salt.  

My sis has Addisons and it can be scary  :grouphug:  :grouphug:

• Like 3

One of the other minerals in Himalayan is potassium. Since it is all natural it could vary in the amount of potassium in different batches. Unless your doc specifically recommended Himalayan, I would stick with the stripped table salt.

My sis has Addisons and it can be scary :grouphug: :grouphug:

Yikes. Thank you.

I have been using it all week during this episode and really struggling. No idea if this could be why but on that small chance - I'll switch.

Thinking this through with a totally muddled brain has been hard. Glad I posted!

I'm sorry your sister has it, too. I'm realizing that I've had it so well managed that I didn't really know what to do in a crisis. :(

• Like 1