Menu

Moving the SAT needle

whitestavern

So dd has taken the PSAT and took SATs twice. She's gotten the same score on all three tries, which is not even cracking 1300. This last time she even took a prep class (not inexpensive, sigh) She's also quite lopsided, an almost 700 on English and mid 500s on math. What can we do to move the needle here? She's going to retake in the fall, is planning on doing practice with Khan. Should I hire a math tutor? She has a decent GPA and takes all honors and AP classes so she's got it in her. But we really need the scores higher for merit consideration. Any ideas Hive? Also, I heard that the new SAT is based on common core. Is this true? Could that be part of it? Is there a way to focus on the parts that have been modified?

She did Algebra II this year.

I do not think common core affected the math sections.

Did she try any of the 8 free practice tests available from CollegeBoard's website? The scoring the practice tests PDF breaks the maths questions down into the three main domains so you can see which domain is the weakest.

https://collegereadiness.collegeboard.org/sat/practice/full-length-practice-tests

The four domains/areas tested are with focus on the first three:

"Heart of Algebra, which focuses on the mastery of linear equations and systems.

Problem Solving and Data Analysis, which is about being quantitatively literate.

Passport to Advanced Math, which features questions that require the manipulation of complex equations.

The Math Test also draws on Additional Topics in Math, including the geometry and trigonometry most relevant to college and career readiness."

I would do targeted math test prep tutoring after she has done the math sections of the 8 practice test under timed conditions.

With a week of hard work, I helped my daughter raise her score by 60 points on her SAT. Here's what we did:

1) Firstly, you can get in the mid to high 600s and miss all of the level 5 - highest difficulty questions. So, learn to identify which types of questions these are - they are fairly easy to identify once you get the scoring from the SAT or SAT practice tests. Just plan on working on these problems last. Don't spend valuable test time mulling over the answers to these questions when you could be working on the problems that you know how to do. Most of the SAT problems are Algebra II and below. Only a handful are level 5 problems.

2) Do a practice test and see what kinds of problems your daughter is missing. Then have her re-learn and practice in the areas that she is having trouble with. Khan is good, but a math tutor would probably be better and using both resources would be best.

3) Take practice tests regularly. Since we only had a one week warning that my daughters scores were not going to good without extra work, she took two practice tests per day. You have more time, so maybe weekly or every other week would be good. Have your daughter go back and rework the missed problems on the practice tests until she gets them right. She may need outside help to do this.

4) Help her to figure out strategies for excluding wrong answers to increase her chances of a correct guess. Also help her to know how to determine whether to guess or to skip the question based on how many of the multiple choice answers she has left (after exclusions) to choose from. Generally if you don't know how to solve the problem (or you're about out of time) and you can exclude one possibility, then go for a guess. Otherwise, just skip it and spend your time on a problem that you do know how to do.

5) If she has time after all of this, then have her learn how to solve some of the level 5 problems. For example, the f(x) type function problems are pretty easy once you understand them.

Since the math test questions haven't changed that much over the years, you can find practice tests in the older SAT prep books that you might find in the library or pretty cheaply online, at the College Board site and obviously there are numerous newer SAT prep available on Amazon. Be sure to pick up at least a few of the newer prep books because it will clue you in a bit more on the focus of the test and also the newer books will give you a better score prediction. Consider that you can take the same test over and over again as long as you spread them out a bit.

• Like 2

I'm working with my oldest on PSAT/SAT prep, as well.

We're going to work through the 8 SAT Tests from the College Board website. We're also using the SAT Grammar and Critical Reading books by Erica Meltzer, and PWN the SAT book for math.

• Like 1

Ask yourself honestly, what is the scoring potential here? Is she a good math student who has done well in difficult curriculum or did she struggle or use an easier program?

FWIW my DD who is definitely mathy also hates the SAT math. But if you switch to ACT, she would have to learn to master the science section.

• Like 1

I think you can prep more, but you also have to realize that some kids cap out.  My dd's best friend is a brilliant girl and she needed to increase her ACT by one more point to hit a certain merit number and she prepped and tested and prepped and re-tested, but after four times of the identical score she had to embrace the idea that she had capped.  It is always worth it to prep more and retry but some kids really do just hit a max.

My son is like your daughter. He was able to bring his math up into the high 600s with the following practices :)

To increase my son's math score we:

switched his math program (sophomore year) -went from Saxon to Teaching Textbooks

Began the customized SAT prep through Khan that synced from his PSAT scores sophomore year

Enrolled in PrepScholar and he spent over 40 hours preparing

Took 4 SAT Math practice tests through the college board and went through every miss

The best help was the one he corrected with my sister- who is a certified high school math teacher and SAT  Math prep tutor.

He did improve over 100 points with all of these tactics. (on a practice test- we are waiting for the June SAT results; however, he also improved very significantly from his PSAT score to his first SAT score which was in December with the first two on my list)

:) Rebecca

Edited by Rebecca
  • Like 2

Ask yourself honestly, what is the scoring potential here? Is she a good math student who has done well in difficult curriculum or did she struggle or use an easier program?

FWIW my DD who is definitely mathy also hates the SAT math. But if you switch to ACT, she would have to learn to master the science section.

She's in a brick and mortar school now; has been for her high school years. She did Alg 1, Geometry, and Alg 2 at honors levels and got As and Bs. She didn't struggle, though I believe she could've put forth more effort. But she understood the concepts, etc.

I think you can prep more, but you also have to realize that some kids cap out.  My dd's best friend is a brilliant girl and she needed to increase her ACT by one more point to hit a certain merit number and she prepped and tested and prepped and re-tested, but after four times of the identical score she had to embrace the idea that she had capped.  It is always worth it to prep more and retry but some kids really do just hit a max.

Yes, this may be the case. She only has one more shot to take it anyway because we're away for the August test. We can only do what we can do, so we will take the advice given here and hope for the best. It may change her potential major. She was originally think bio but thinks she may have a better shot at admission if she changes to English as that is really her strong suit.

That may indeed be the case. I think we'll take the advice given here (great stuff btw) and give it one more shot. Come July we'll have results of her ACT. If she happens to do much better on that (here's hoping) maybe we won't do the third SAT.

She originally wanted to major in bio, but she's now thinking she'll have a better shot at admission if she changes to English as a major. She's looking at small LACs so the change won't affect her college list at all.

*sorry, dp*

Edited by whitestavern

My rough understanding is that there is a little more advanced math on the test. Assuming precalc is her schedule this fall, I would plan to take it one more time in the fall, as late as is reasonable for her apps.

Edited by wapiti

So DD took the ACT today and said it was MUCH easier than either SAT. She feels quite confident she did very well. Did anyone else's kids have this experience? If so, did they indeed do better? From what I've seen on College Confidential and other places, people's SATs and ACTs seem to be similar. Anyway, I'm hoping she is correct and does well! If she does get a high score, are there any colleges that don't take the ACT? Or are there colleges that require the SAT as well?

• Like 1

So DD took the ACT today and said it was MUCH easier than either SAT. She feels quite confident she did very well. Did anyone else's kids have this experience? If so, did they indeed do better? From what I've seen on College Confidential and other places, people's SATs and ACTs seem to be similar. Anyway, I'm hoping she is correct and does well! If she does get a high score, are there any colleges that don't take the ACT? Or are there colleges that require the SAT as well?

My DD came home today and said the SAME EXACT THING! I'm hoping she was right. Her practice ACT scores were significantly better than her actual SAT. The time pressure of the ACT is no problem for her (very fast processor) and she prefers the math section on ACT to SAT. She says she finally figured out the science section and felt like it was easy today. Fingers-crossed that her score reflects this!
  • Like 1

My son only took the PSAT and then opted for the ACT.  He did okay on the PSAT and very well on the ACT.  He too finds the ACT a lot easier than the (P)SAT.

Interesting.  The new 7th greater is prepping for the October PSAT.  We went back and forth on whether PSAT or ACT first.  Not worried about the math on either, but thought he was not quite ready for the vocabulary/reading  aspects of the ACT.  

If she's stronger in English, IMO the ACT is the way to go. 

From my own, limited experience--I had a 1240 on the SAT, but a 33 on the ACT. Big difference!

With the latest revision to the SAT, the tests seem much more similar.  I'm amazed at how much high level reading is on the SAT math section questions now.

• 2 weeks later...

Look into http://Testive.com.  There are free and paid options.  Our girls did the free.  Make sure your dd reads the rationale behind the answers.  Do NOT just answer the question and move on.  She needs to understand WHY the answers are correct.  The "why" is the part that will help her translate her knowledge to other questions.  

Also, consider purchasing http://CollegePrepGenius.com.  This program teaches the inner workings of the test.  The program helps students understand what the questions are really asking. (I am not affiliated with this company in any way, but we have used them successfully.)

Oh, and remember that she HAS to study!  I mean for hours!  Success is all in the practice of the questions.

Our older dd swears by the Pomodoro Method. Here is an explanation:  https://www.focusboosterapp.com/the-pomodoro-technique Our dd says the 25 minutes is not set in stone, and some find 15, 20, or 30 minutes with a 5 minute break more effective.  The idea is to study with great intensity and focus for the study time and then take a break. Breaks can be anything: listening to music, dancing around, drinking tea, or watching a short YoutTube video.

Your dd should also take a couple of actual practice tests with the time limits and breaks that she will encounter on test day.  She needs to prepare herself for the mini-marathon she will be doing on the actual test day.  This will help with her mental endurance.

All of this assumes she has at least a foundational level of content knowledge. If she is missing a core section of knowledge, she will need to brush up on that material. http://khanacademy.org can help here.  They have subject videos and SAT prep videos.

Good luck!

• Like 1

Look into http://Testive.com.  There are free and paid options.  Our girls did the free.  Make sure your dd reads the rationale behind the answers.  Do NOT just answer the question and move on.  She needs to understand WHY the answers are correct.  The "why" is the part that will help her translate her knowledge to other questions.  

I can not find any free options on testive.com?  Maybe they changed their program?