Menu

Music composition curriculum ideas? Resources?

My daughter excels at music in many forms including piano, guitar and voice and she's also highly excellerated in language arts. She takes piano and guitar/voice lessons already.

I was wondering if anyone knows of curriculum or resources to assist her in development of music composition? She writes lyrics to music already and makes up songs but I was hoping to give her a bit more guidance. Any help or ideas????

Get a good computer notation program. If you have a keyboard, you can play your parts in real time directly into the software in Finale or Sibelius.

In general, the more theory and music literature she knows, the better composer she'll be. If she hasn't done it yet, something like the Fundamentals of Piano Theory series is a good one to start, or something like Benward's theory book. Many colleges will have a non-credit theory fundamentals, often online, and that wouldn't be a bad choice, either. I'd also look for a used music literature text (I like Listen, by Joseph and Vivian Kerman. If you get an older edition, you should be able to find recordings of all the music needed pretty easily if you have an Amazon Prime subscription (or an Apple Music one). Possibly on Spotify as well. )

She should write down her ideas and play with them. But learning the rules is important in knowing how to break them. Be aware that most young composers do a lot of inadvertent plagiarism. They have a melody in their head and don't remember that they've heard it somewhere before. That's fine, for now-but when she plays something for you and it sounds like Ariana Grande (or whatever), do point out that "it sounds like you were inspired by X"-because she'll become more aware of this over time.

• Like 4

Get a good computer notation program. If you have a keyboard, you can play your parts in real time directly into the software in Finale or Sibelius.

In general, the more theory and music literature she knows, the better composer she'll be. If she hasn't done it yet, something like the Fundamentals of Piano Theory series is a good one to start, or something like Benward's theory book. Many colleges will have a non-credit theory fundamentals, often online, and that wouldn't be a bad choice, either. I'd also look for a used music literature text (I like Listen, by Joseph and Vivian Kerman. If you get an older edition, you should be able to find recordings of all the music needed pretty easily if you have an Amazon Prime subscription (or an Apple Music one). Possibly on Spotify as well. )

She should write down her ideas and play with them. But learning the rules is important in knowing how to break them. Be aware that most young composers do a lot of inadvertent plagiarism. They have a melody in their head and don't remember that they've heard it somewhere before. That's fine, for now-but when she plays something for you and it sounds like Ariana Grande (or whatever), do point out that "it sounds like you were inspired by X"-because she'll become more aware of this over time.

I have some questions about computer notation programs and keyboards.  Do you have any recommendations on keyboards?  How many keys minimum would be decent?  I am sure a full awesome keyboard would be best, but budget doesn't allow that. :)  Is something like this good?  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00VHKMK64/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_92?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Then once you have the keyboard, how does it work?  I am totally ignorant about this.  I understand you would plug it into the computer via USB.  Do we need more tech items to make it work?

I had a free notation program on our computer, Scorecloud.  Is Finale or Sibleius better?

Edited by Incognito

I have some questions about computer notation programs and keyboards. Do you have any recommendations on keyboards? How many keys minimum would be decent? I am sure a full awesome keyboard would be best, but budget doesn't allow that. :) Is something like this good? https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00VHKMK64/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_92?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Then once you have the keyboard, how does it work? I am totally ignorant about this. I understand you would plug it into the computer via USB. Do we need more tech items to make it work?

I had a free notation program on our computer, Scorecloud. Is Finale or Sibleius better?

I use Finale, but as I mentioned in the other thread, that was because it was the one that would run on a PC back when the best computer for music on the planet was an Atari ST, but I had to share a computer with a CS/Math major :). Sibelius is what I see most college students using now.

On the controller, that would be OK if you only want to input one part at a time, like if you're doing an orchestral score or one of my Orff orchestrations. The more comfortable you are on piano, the more something that is closer to a piano keyboard will help (BTW, Yamaha has digital/electric hybrid baby grands that are completely awesome. And are on my "if I ever win the lottery" list, because they are far more expensive than a good baby grand and a good digital separately).

I use Finale, but as I mentioned in the other thread, that was because it was the one that would run on a PC back when the best computer for music on the planet was an Atari ST, but I had to share a computer with a CS/Math major :). Sibelius is what I see most college students using now.

On the controller, that would be OK if you only want to input one part at a time, like if you're doing an orchestral score or one of my Orff orchestrations. The more comfortable you are on piano, the more something that is closer to a piano keyboard will help (BTW, Yamaha has digital/electric hybrid baby grands that are completely awesome. And are on my "if I ever win the lottery" list, because they are far more expensive than a good baby grand and a good digital separately).

Do you have any recommendations?  I really don't know what to look for.  We have a passable upright piano for playing on, but for composing music I think it would go so much easier with a midi keyboard.  Would something like the link below be decent?  It gets great and absolutely horrible reviews, but has 88 keys.  

https://www.amazon.com/Alesis-Q88-88-Key-Keyboard-Controller/dp/B00BSXJY64/ref=sr_1_33?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1496977050&sr=1-33&keywords=midi+keyboard

Do you have any recommendations? I really don't know what to look for. We have a passable upright piano for playing on, but for composing music I think it would go so much easier with a midi keyboard.

Do you have a Guitar Center nearby? The ones we go to have a few setups on display that my kids have tried. Whether you need 88 keys or go with less keys is personal preference. I actually prefer the 49 keys ones as they are more portable. I had used an 88 key one while in hostel (university) band and it was a pain to lug it from room to room and take up more space on my hostel room L shaped desk. My kids took the music composition class at the local music and art center.

Link is to Guitar Center's midi keyboard controller page.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/MIDI-Keyboard-Controllers.gc

Do you have a Guitar Center nearby? The ones we go to have a few setups on display that my kids have tried. Whether you need 88 keys or go with less keys is personal preference. I actually prefer the 49 keys ones as they are more portable. I had used an 88 key one while in hostel (university) band and it was a pain to lug it from room to room and take up more space on my hostel room L shaped desk. My kids took the music composition class at the local music and art center.

Link is to Guitar Center's midi keyboard controller page.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/MIDI-Keyboard-Controllers.gc

I could try some sort of music store.  I feel a bit bad doing it, because they all have prices so much higher than buying online from the US (we're in Canada), so I would be very unlikely to buy there.  We do buy other things at music stores, so maybe.  I don't recall seeing these kinds of keyboards, but I wasn't looking so maybe they are there.

We have something similar to this, but with a base and bench:

https://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-Weighted-Digital-Sustain-Amazon-Exclusive/dp/B01LY8OUQW/

My son seems happy with it (he takes lessons from someone using a baby grand, and hasn't complained at all).  

I sympathize with the budget issue, but I guess I feel like having the full keyboard for someone who excels at music is important.   We're not lugging it around though--that is certainly a consideration.

You might look on Craigslist  to see what's available.  

(Also, I'm pretty sure you can do computer playback with it, but I haven't tried it yet, so could be wrong)

We have something similar to this, but with a base and bench:

https://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-Weighted-Digital-Sustain-Amazon-Exclusive/dp/B01LY8OUQW/

My son seems happy with it (he takes lessons from someone using a baby grand, and hasn't complained at all).  

I sympathize with the budget issue, but I guess I feel like having the full keyboard for someone who excels at music is important.   We're not lugging it around though--that is certainly a consideration.

You might look on Craigslist  to see what's available.  

(Also, I'm pretty sure you can do computer playback with it, but I haven't tried it yet, so could be wrong)

I agree about having a piano.  We do have an upright piano, I mean for getting the score written directly by the computer (instead of my child writing it themselves).  I don't think the one you linked works for that?  Or does it?  

Pretty much all (I'm tempted to say all) of the Yamaha digitalis allow MIDI interfacing, and have for 20 years or so at this point. Same with the Casios, Roland, Alesis, and basically anything not sold in the toy section. That's not their primary purpose when you're looking at the full sized, weighted key, touch sensitive, comes with a stand and pedals variety-their purpose is to provide a decent practice piano in a small space (and to be a good option for piano classes, because they can be networked, each student can work while listening on headphones, and the instructor can plug in and listen to each individual student. Group piano classes on actual pianos get painful fast-no two pianos go out of tune in the same speed and the same way.)

I will say that you need to consider the computer you're using the device on when picking a MIDI controller. A full sized 88key keyboard does not work wellto move to a computer, and a full sized desktop doesn't, either. I have a Privia Pro digital piano, so I use a notebook for MIDI input work, and then transfer the file to my desktop for editing. The Privia is more portable than an acoustic piano, but it's a degree of scale.

• Like 1