Menu

Vacations destinations that you love and dream about going to

mommyoffive

So all this talk about vacations gets me thinking.

What vacation destination (s) have you been to that you loved and want to go back to? 

What vacation destination(s) did you not like or even hate? 

What vacation destination(s) is still on your dream or to do list? 

1.  I want to go back to England and Scotland.  I have been to England twice, Scotland once.  I would never tire of those two countries.  

2.  Not a fan of a Caribbean cruise I took - that's not exactly a destination. In general, not a huge fan of beach vacations.  Well, flat, "tropical"  or Jersey Shore type beaches. A wild northern California or Oregon beach - those are different.  I love that kind of beach.

3. Whenever anyone asks this question, I still think of England and Scotland.  It's not that I don't want to go anywhere else.  But, that's what I dream of.  But, I'd go almost anywhere (except the beach!)

Edited by marbel
  • Like 3

1.  I want to go back to England and Scotland.  I have been to England twice, Scotland once.  I would never tire of those two countries.  

2.  Not a fan of a Caribbean cruise I took - that's not exactly a destination. In general, not a huge fan of beach vacations.  Well, flat, "tropical"  or Jersey Shore type beaches. A wild northern California or Oregon beach - those are different.  

3. Whenever anyone asks this question, I still think of England and Scotland.  It's not that I don't want to go anywhere else.  But, that's what I dream of.  But, I'd go almost anywhere (except the beach!)

I agree with you on that one.  We went to the beach in FL and it just didn't hold water to the California beaches.   

• Like 1

1. Italy, Hawaii, Bermuda, Cancun, Vancouver

2. San Diego Comic-Con. Once was PLENTY and if I'd realized how insanely crowded it would be, I never would've let DH talk me into going at all

3. DH still owes me a honeymoon in central Europe: Bavaria, Vienna, Prague, and Budapest. When we got married we were totally broke and couldn't afford it so we said we'd do it for our 5th anniversary. Then he was in grad school so we said we'd do it for our 10th. But I was super-pregnant then and so we said for our 15th. But that was during the Great Recession so we were flat broke again. Our 20th is next year but most likely *I* will be in grad school. Maybe for our 25th in 2023?

I agree with you on that one.  We went to the beach in FL and it just didn't hold water to the California beaches.   

Different strokes for different folks. :)

I *HATE* the rocky CA beaches and love the sandy ones in FL, Cancun, the Caribbean, Hawaii, etc. Would love to go to SE Asia (Bali, Phuket, etc.) and Polynesia (Tahiti, Bora Bora, Moorea, etc.) because the pictures I've seen are spectacular.

• Like 2

I would love to go back to the UK as well as to Ireland. 

I enjoyed my Caribbean cruise but don't really want to go back.

On my wish list of places I've never been -

Hawaii

Alaska (a cruise would be great)

Australia

Italy

Sweden

Mexico

Germany

Japan

Any part of Canada but the east coast or west coast would be my preference rather than somewhere in the middle. :)

I've never had an interest in visiting the Far East other than Japan but wouldn't turn down a trip to any country in that area if that was where I could go.

Edited by Lady Florida.

I grew up in Florida and I love the quiet carribean ans gulf beaches. They are warm and good for the soul. California beaches are wild and cold and exciting. They're great in a different way, but I could never relax because it seemed as if the ocean would reach out and snatch one of my kids. The surf in Florida is so much gentler.

I just miss the ocean, period,

We've moved around a lot and I've left little pieces of my heart all over the country. Some of my favorites:

Chicago

Naples, FL

Disneyland

Appalachian mountains

Lancaster county

San Diego

London

Key Largo

St. Louis

Not as much a fan of:

Texas panhandle

Los Angeles

Colorado (not a fan of sheer cliff style mountains either)

Central Florida

Key West

Lukewarm on:

Dallas

Boston

New York

What vacation destination (s) have you been to that you loved and want to go back to? 

Athens, Greece.  I tagged along when dh had to go for work.  I LOVED it but we didn't get a lot of time there.  The kids were really little and the travel took 3 days.

I'd like to go back to Bar Harbor Maine.  Williamsburg Virginia - but that's more for the kids.  Montreal and Toronto.

I can't think of any I absolutely hated.  I haven't done a ton of travelling so that may be why.

An Alaskan Cruise, the Grand Canyon, the California Redwoods, Yellowstone, Grand Tetons - basically everything out West. 

Had anyone been to Costa Rica? I have a bunch of credit card airmiles to burn and I think I'd like to go there next year for our 25th.

My sister and her family went and LOVED it.

My children and their spouses went and LOVED it.

I haven't been there.... yet!

Anne

• Like 1

My sister and her family went and LOVED it.

My children and their spouses went and LOVED it.

I haven't been there.... yet!

Anne

What time of the year? My daughter and her (80yo!) grandma went zip lining over Christmas two years ago and said the weather was ideal but it was understandably crowded and expensive. I'm thinking February?

1. I'd like to go back to Thailand. I'd also like to go back to Tulum, Mexico. I went to the southwest when I was a teen and would really like to go back as an adult.

More locally, I would like to do NYC, Assateague, and Shenandoah again in the next couple of years.

2. Most vacations I went on are things I loved but I'd massively prefer to go somewhere new. So, like, we loved Ireland, but I don't feel like I need to go back. Places I've been that would rank pretty low definitely include Florida beaches (meh), Niagara Falls (I was glad we did it and we enjoyed Great Wolf, but I wouldn't jump at going back), South Africa (we ADORED our time in Namibia and Botswana and at Victoria Falls, but SA was very so so for me).

3. ALL THE PLACES.

High on my list is Greece. I'd also like to see more of Italy. I'd like to go to Belize. I want to get to India some day. I'd like to visit Taiwan to eat. Oh, and Japan. We are hopefully going to Australia in 2018 or '19 and I'm so psyched about that. Oh, and I've never been to Yellowstone and would really like to go.

• Like 1

We travel a fair bit but the only place I've ever felt the need to go back to is Cambodia, hopefully in the next few years.

I haven't ever hated any place, but I'm not big on tropical destinations.  I don't intend to go back to Disney, once is plenty for me.

My list is gigantic.  In August dh and I are doing London and Paris.  I'm hoping for Peru next year.  Budapest is up there along with an over water bungalow in Polynesia (the only exception to my tropics aversion), Vietnam, Greece, New Zealand, Ireland and Scotland. 

In about 10 years dh and I plan to put all of our belongings in storage and travel the world for a decade or so.  Our goal is to live on each continent for 2 years.  

• Like 1

1) Hawaii - absolutely Hawaii.  It's the only place we've been to that seriously had us considering moving there.  It's just so far from anywhere else including our family (sigh).  And it's expensive.  We like lower COL areas.

Then add in most National Parks.  I love Yellowstone, the Badlands, Bryce, Chaco, Dry Tortugas, Lava Beds, the list could go on and on forever - all different and all really neat to visit.  (If I had to pick a least favorite though it would probably be Lassen or Mt Rushmore.)

Then add in Maritime Canada.  Loved the Cabot Trail and exploring PEI, NS, NB and need to get to Newfoundland yet.

2) Hated?  The one place that tops all of our lists is Las Vegas.  BTDT and do NOT need to ever go back except perhaps to use the airport to get to other places.  Lake Chelan in WA isn't on our "liked it" list, but it's not on our "Yuck" list either.  Ditto that with many cities.  Seeing man made things isn't our thing as much.

3) Alaska, of course, since it's the only state we haven't been to.  Bora Bora tops my "money is no object" desired destination though.  I want to see/compare so many of the South Pacific islands... more within our budget are the Caribbean Islands so those tend to be our destinations now when we can get away.  Africa still appeals too - places like Mozambique. When I'm in the mood for history I want to see Italy, but I'm more often in the mood for awesome natural vistas of the "green/tropical" variety.  Rocky beaches are ok to see, but that white (or black) sand beach and vivid blue waters with stunning mountain greenery around is our favorite.

In reality though... I want to see it all, so any trip is a good one - at least once.  Well, we could have skipped Vegas, but at least now I know.

Jordan is the next biggie we hope to hit.  I've wanted to see Petra since learning about it in my youth and with youngest going there this fall - that's our target having made it to the top of the Bucket List.

• Like 2

2) Hated?  The one place that tops all of our lists is Las Vegas.  BTDT and do NOT need to ever go back except perhaps to use the airport to get to other places.  Lake Chelan in WA isn't on our "liked it" list, but it's not on our "Yuck" list either.  Ditto that with many cities.  Seeing man made things isn't our thing as much.

:iagree:

Yep I totally forgot Las Vegas, I doubt someone could even pay me to go there again, but I'm glad I went the one time.  It was when dh and I were first dating and we were all twitterpated so it has good memories in that respect.

• Like 1

My favorite destinations are many: Croatia, Montenegro, Bavaria, Tirol, Istanbul and Selcuk in Turkey, pretty much the whole of Switzerland, Rome, Umbria in Italy, the Julian Alps in Slovenia. Also loved Kyoto in Japan and Montreal. And in the US we love Cape Cod, coastal Maine, Vermont and New Hampshire, Colorado, Savannah. DH and I married young and were married for 9 years prior to having our girls and we used to travel overseas 2 or 3 times a year for vacation, in addition to a few US based weekend trips. Ahhh to be young and careless again... :)

My bucket list of places I would love to visit: Greece, the Dordogne region of France, Cappadocia region of Turkey, Scotland, Thailand, Morocco, Oman, Jordan, New Mexico, Adirondacks, Washington State (Olympia National Park), the Canadian Rockies. And I'm always forever adding to this list! And if it has mountains I'm pretty much sold ;)

I'm not sure I hated any place I've visited, and I always appreciate a new experience regardless of the outcome, but there are a few I'm not particularly fond of. WDW (duh, if you've seen my post!) and most of Florida for that matter, Florence, Italy (yes, I know, I think I'm the only person on the planet that has visited and didn't care for it), Paris I can take or leave, Split (Croatia), Kusadasi (Turkey), Nagoya (Japan), Myrtle Beach, Branson, Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg, Los Angeles. I'm not a fan of overly touristy, gimmicky places. 

Edited by tdbates78
  • Like 1

:iagree:

Yep I totally forgot Las Vegas, I doubt someone could even pay me to go there again, but I'm glad I went the one time.  It was when dh and I were first dating and we were all twitterpated so it has good memories in that respect.

Ooh I forgot Vegas too. I liked it the first time I went, when I hadn't really been anywhere else outside of the Midwest. Went back a few years later for a work conference and found it dreadful. Too over-the-top for me. I'm glad I've seen it but have no desire to go back. 

• Like 2

Vegas is my guilty pleasure, lol. We're actually going for five days in July. We go for the food and the fabulous pool and the food beside the pool. I like the kitchy magic shows and the musicals although I've seen a lot of the current ones now that we spend so much time in Chicago. My husband sets aside a couple hundred dollars to gamble and if it disappears, we're done. Usually though he runs it up and cashes out and we do something fun with it. After a few days I'm over it and don't need to go back for a decade.

I love cities. I love the lights and the energy and the stimulation, the food and the theater and museums. Nature is fine, but I need to break it up with things to do. Camping or rental cabin in the woods where I still have to cook and clean and play cruise director is like a special circle of hell to me.

• Like 1

My favorites I would go back to (in no particular order): Venice, Austria (all of it), Bordeaux region of France, Bath, Monaco, Colorado, Pompeii, Amalfi Coast in Italy, Capri ,cruise the rhine in germany, Hums and Damascus, Syria (now mostly destroyed I believe, DH and I had our 2nd honeymoon there and I have awesome memories from there, but cried when I saw the pictures of it now)

Won't go back except for maybe a large some of $:  Barcelona,  Florida (and the part of georgia near the border at least), Bari, Italy (long story)

Meh: Greece, Netherlands,  Berlin

I am not a fan of beach vacations or camping

Dream: Inner China (not the big cities), Turkey (SIL just bought a vacation home there, so that might happen sooner than later), East coast like Willamsburg, etc. , Visit the redwoods (but I don't want to camp LOL), Scotland, Ireland

What time of the year? My daughter and her (80yo!) grandma went zip lining over Christmas two years ago and said the weather was ideal but it was understandably crowded and expensive. I'm thinking February?

Both trips were during the summer because of the need to travel during school breaks. Can't remember just when during the summer each trip was though.

Anne

• Like 1

In the bucket list:

Queensland, New Zealand.

Barbados

Denmark and Faroe Islands

Rome

Thailand

Tahiti

Costa Rica

Scotland and Ireland

We loved Iceland and Egypt! Dh has been to Germany and enjoyed it very much, and my time in Paris and Normandy was truly amazing.

Stateside we have the best memories of our road trip through the Badlands and Black Hills, Devil's Tower area. Our three boys were with us and it was the year after the car accident. Ds and I were just recovered enough to really enjoy it, so the time we spent as a family was quite precious. On the way home, we discovered the National Danish Museum which we had not known about. Dh's family is Danish - just two generations on this soil and since his grandpa was a single child of two single children we have no connections in America or Denmark - it was the best surprise!

The last camping trip up north was miserable. Torrential downpours amongst other things. I was very happy to get help me and since camping tends to mean a huge ton of planning and work for me, I pulled the plug on going camping in the future.

Edited by FaithManor

I would like to go to Scotland and Ireland for the first time.  

I would like to go to England again, and spend time in a walking tour.   Life-time bucket list.

I would like to go to Italy and Greece and mess around for 6 weeks.  Never had time to explore--always on business trips.  

And I would like to go to New Zealand.  Never done that.  

We went in September, which is part of the "green" (aka rainy) season. It didn't really rain that much when we were there, though. It wasn't impossibly hot or humid for us, but we live in FL so may be more acclimated than people from other parts of the world to that kind of weather. We spent a few days on the Pacific coast, then a few at Arenal (zip lined there--amazing!), then a couple in San Jose with some friends. There were no significant crowds at that time of year. In fact, it was kind of deserted where we stayed while at the coast. We had the pool and beach to ourselves most of the time. That was several years ago, though, so it might have changed since then.

• Like 1

We went in September, which is part of the "green" (aka rainy) season. It didn't really rain that much when we were there, though. It wasn't impossibly hot or humid for us, but we live in FL so may be more acclimated than people from other parts of the world to that kind of weather. We spent a few days on the Pacific coast, then a few at Arenal (zip lined there--amazing!), then a couple in San Jose with some friends. There were no significant crowds at that time of year. In fact, it was kind of deserted where we stayed while at the coast. We had the pool and beach to ourselves most of the time. That was several years ago, though, so it might have changed since then.

September was my original choice for the reasons you mentioned. But I was born and raised in SE FL and don't know if I care to deal with that level of humidity 😊 Lack of crowds would be nice though and may take the sting away

I've only been to London once, but I've been wanting to go back ever since. My bff did a coast to coast walking tour of England, and I would really love to do that. I'd love to go anywhere and everywhere in the UK!

One of my other dreams has always been to go to one of the Pacific islands like Fiji or Tahiti or Bora Bora. My husband is not a tropical beach person, he's a winter in the mountains person, so we've never gone. :-(. He keeps saying he's going to take me some day, but we've been married for 20 years and it hasn't happened, so I'm not holding my breath! Besides, he should have taken me back when I was young and skinny and could have worn a bikini! I'm past the bikini years now! :lol:

There are just so many places I would love to see, I can't even list them all! I love to travel, and it's one of my regrets that we haven't done it more.

Loved and want to go back: Paris, Tennessee mountains, Pacific NW, Boston/New England

Liked but visiting other places take priority over returning to these: Costa Rica, Belize, Grand Canyon

Did not enjoy: Cruise to Bahamas. 

Would like to visit: Pretty much anywhere in Europe, the Holy Land, Australia, Yellowstone

I would love to go back to Hong Kong.  I traveled through East and SE Asia as a broke twentysomething and it was an amazing experience, but it would be wonderful to go back with enough money to eat something other than steamed buns.  

Not a fan of Las Vegas.

My top dream destination is Israel.  I've never been but we really want to go as a family sometime in the next five years.  Second dream destination is Iceland.  

I love the outer banks NC in the off season. I'm the type of person who likes to go where I've already been.  :lol:  So, I always desire to return to our usual hotel in Kill Devil Hills which is my absolute favorite destination. I like the Mts in VA -Massanutten Resort. I enjoyed the Fort Lauderdale area of FL and Titusville. I would do Florida again.

I am not a big city person (especially northern big cities). We made the most of Boston when there recently for dd's competition, but I would not go there for a vacation otherwise.

As far as places I have never been, I would like to go to Alaska.

• Like 1

I would love to go back to Hong Kong.  I traveled through East and SE Asia as a broke twentysomething and it was an amazing experience, but it would be wonderful to go back with enough money to eat something other than steamed buns.  

Not a fan of Las Vegas.

My top dream destination is Israel.  I've never been but we really want to go as a family sometime in the next five years.  Second dream destination is Iceland.  

Oh tell me more about Hong Kong.  We are discussing our next trip and China is on the short list.  Dh has been for work I haven't ever.   We are trying to pick from Beijing, Xi'an, or Hong Kong.  

Have you been to all of those? 

I made a purchase in the pharmacy of one of the supermarkets where we shop. They gave me a Raffle ticket.  There are 3 prizes. You must select the prize you would like to have, before dropping the ticket into the box. These are the 3 options: One is a car. I think it is a Chevrolet Sail.   Second is a trip for 2 to Israel (we live in Colombia). Third is a trip for 3 to Orlando.  We are 3...   My wife, my DD and me...

I asked my wife which one she would select. She selected Orlando. We have been there. Our answer to your thread is Orlando.

My wife also loves Las Vegas.  

Probably neither place is good with regard to weather, during the Summer. I believe the best months for travel in the USA are April and October.

ETA: There are many many other places we would like to go to, which reminds me that I need to buy a lottery ticket once a week.

Edited by Lanny

I've only been to London once, but I've been wanting to go back ever since. My bff did a coast to coast walking tour of England, and I would really love to do that. I'd love to go anywhere and everywhere in the UK!

One of my other dreams has always been to go to one of the Pacific islands like Fiji or Tahiti or Bora Bora. My husband is not a tropical beach person, he's a winter in the mountains person, so we've never gone. :-(. He keeps saying he's going to take me some day, but we've been married for 20 years and it hasn't happened, so I'm not holding my breath! Besides, he should have taken me back when I was young and skinny and could have worn a bikini! I'm past the bikini years now! :lol:

There are just so many places I would love to see, I can't even list them all! I love to travel, and it's one of my regrets that we haven't done it more.

I did this in 1992, and it is still one of the best things I've ever done in my life.  I was 36 years old, had been married and divorced and had a decent career-type job, but I had never traveled on my own.   Getting off the plane in London and finding my way to my hotel was one of the most terrifying things I'd ever done. (Don't diss me for being a late bloomer :-) .)  

The walking trip was incredible even if I was the youngest person by at least 20 years.  :-)   Just a few weeks before the trip, my closest friend died suddenly and 2 of the ladies on the trip - widows, lifelong friends in their 60s - were a great help to me.  

In 2005 my family went to England and ended up staying in one of the B&Bs I'd stayed in on the walking tour.  The same couple owned it and the place was just as magical as it had been the first time around.  I'd love to go back a third time. 

• Like 3

1.  There are several I really want to get back to.  Among the topmost: Egypt (to take my kids), Laos, Malawi, Guatemala, Israel.

2.  I've enjoyed at least some aspects of just about everywhere I've been, but I don't feel any particular urgency to go back to Kuwait, UAE, Taiwan... not that I hated them, more like BTDT so much world, so little time, don't need to go back.

3.  Top of bucket list at the moment: Iceland, Italy; Botswana, Tanzania; Nepal, Bhutan; Argentina, Bolivia, Nicaragua; Turkey.

My favorite thing is going somewhere for the first time and seeing a new view or museum.  I don't mind museum crowds, but I hate hot, outdoor amusement park crowds.  They smell.  I loved Monterey, but it has romantic connections for me.  I also loved Southern France, and that wasn't even a vacation; I was working.  I live near DC and still adore museum hopping all day. As much as I love solitude and the outdoors, I don't like my vacation to be weather dependent.  I want the option to see a show./sight/museum and eat great food even if I'm cooking it.  

I might be taking my first trip to Chicago in a few weeks and, apparently, I'm supposed to play whirly ball because that's a real thing people do?  I do enjoy location-specific activities :-) I also have this urge to do an overnight train trip and wake up in Boston. I haven't been there in a few decades.

Garmisch Germany was our favorite. My kids adored ski school and the Christkindlmarkts. DH and I enjoyed some alone time. The museums we visited were powerful and lively (Banksy show, Barbie exhibit, and Dachau) Also, the food was fatty and delicious...schweineshaxe...yumm!!

Our least favorite was Rome/Amalfi. This is an adults only vacay IMO. The kids didn't enjoy all of the walking/hills and complained, the food was tasty but unremarkable, and the scenery and museums were over their heads. The beaches were rocky too. We went in July and our air B&B had no a/c and many shops were closed.

Edited by Sneezyone

I did this in 1992, and it is still one of the best things I've ever done in my life. I was 36 years old, had been married and divorced and had a decent career-type job, but I had never traveled on my own. Getting off the plane in London and finding my way to my hotel was one of the most terrifying things I'd ever done. (Don't diss me for being a late bloomer :-) .)

The walking trip was incredible even if I was the youngest person by at least 20 years. :-) Just a few weeks before the trip, my closest friend died suddenly and 2 of the ladies on the trip - widows, lifelong friends in their 60s - were a great help to me.

In 2005 my family went to England and ended up staying in one of the B&Bs I'd stayed in on the walking tour. The same couple owned it and the place was just as magical as it had been the first time around. I'd love to go back a third time.

I've never travelled alone and I'm 43, so I would hardly be in a position to call you a late bloomer! :) I would really like to travel alone, or with a friend or my daughter. I love my husband to pieces, but I was so young when we met that all of my adventures have been with him. I would like to have a few adventures of my own. It sounds like you had an amazing experience.

And I am sorry about the loss of your friend.

• Like 1

I've never travelled alone and I'm 43, so I would hardly be in a position to call you a late bloomer! :) I would really like to travel alone, or with a friend or my daughter. I love my husband to pieces, but I was so young when we met that all of my adventures have been with him. I would like to have a few adventures of my own. It sounds like you had an amazing experience.

And I am sorry about the loss of your friend.

Aww, thanks.

I did have some pretty amazing adventures on my own.  And I'm glad I did them and didn't wait to find a companion to do them with, because, I'd have missed a lot of adventures.  But still, there were times I thought "oh, wouldn't it be nice to have someone to share this with" - someone closer than my hiking group companions, kwim?  When we went to England as a family it was so wonderful to share some of the places I'd been, but maybe even better to discover new places together. 

• Like 1

I love to travel! It is my thing, for sure! My fav vacations are camping at Acadia NP (over and over) in Maine, Disney (our first trip-magical) and our 5 week cross country NP trip. We're headed to Europe this summer, and I'm very excited!  After this, I don't think I really have any must-dos. I guess if I had to pick something for our next trip it would be the Great Smoky Mountains. But I love Acadia so much that I could go there every year and never get sick of it--we've been a lot already.

Okay, so I posted before reading all the replies, and just realized I do have Thailand on my list of places to visit. It's not really a realistic goal since it's a very long plane ride, and I absolutely hate to fly, but I would love to go.

The only place I've been disappointed with/wouldn't go back to is Santa Fe, NM. I had heard such wonderful things about it and it just didn't meet my expectations.

Edited by whitestavern