Menu

Please help me decide-- Saxon 7/6 or 8/7???

ereks mom

The short version: I am considering using Saxon 8/7 or possibly 7/6 next school year and I need help deciding which level would be best for my situation. I have 2 girls who just finished Teaching Textbooks Math 7 and aren't ready for TT Pre-Algebra. One struggles with math as well as reading. She barely passed TT Math 7 (71 average). The other is a decent math student, but she was diagnosed with Type I diabetes about halfway through the school year and missed quite a bit of school and therefore a lot of key math concepts, so I'm sure she isn't ready for TT Pre-Algebra.

So... both of these girls need a year of basic elementary/middle school math before beginning TT Pre-Algebra. I do plan to go back to Teaching Textbooks unless Saxon really clicks with them. I know that TT courses are "behind" other math publishers' courses, so which would be a better choice: Saxon 8/7 (1st edition) or Saxon 7/6 (either 1st edition or 2nd)??? I remember reading somewhere here on the boards that 1st edition 8/7 has fewer pre-algebra topics and more of a focus on arithmetic than 2nd edition, which I think is what the girls need at this point. I also read somewhere (not on the boards, but in a review on another website) that 7/6 is "the kingpin book in the Saxon series," so maybe it shouldn't be skipped???

Thoughts?

Edited by ereks mom

The short version: I am considering using Saxon 8/7 or possibly 7/6 next school year and I need help deciding which level would be best for my situation. I have 2 girls who just finished Teaching Textbooks Math 7 and aren't ready for TT Pre-Algebra. One struggles with math as well as reading. She barely passed TT Math 7 (71 average). The other is a decent math student, but she was diagnosed with Type I diabetes about halfway through the school year and missed quite a bit of school and therefore a lot of key math concepts, so I'm sure she isn't ready for TT Pre-Algebra.

So... both of these girls need a year of basic elementary/middle school math before beginning TT Pre-Algebra. I do plan to go back to Teaching Textbooks unless Saxon really clicks with them. I know that TT courses are "behind" other math publishers' courses, so which would be a better choice: Saxon 8/7 (1st edition) or Saxon 7/6 (either 1st edition or 2nd)??? I remember reading somewhere here on the boards that 1st edition 8/7 has fewer pre-algebra topics and more of a focus on arithmetic than 2nd edition, which I think is what the girls need at this point. I also read somewhere (not on the boards, but in a review on another website) that 7/6 is "the kingpin book in the Saxon series," so maybe it shouldn't be skipped???

Thoughts?

Have you given them the placement test? Because you *always* start with the placement test.

• Like 1

I'd give them the placement test. It's so difficult to place in Saxon without it.

I've only used the softcover (3rd?) editions. 7/6 often tends to be a bit tougher than the others for some reason. But given the information, I'm not sure 8/7 would be great.

Wrong placement in Saxon is a miserable thing, so give the test if possible.

• Like 3