Menu

Writing Strands users...please help

whiteisle

I tried Writing Strands 3 about 2 years or so ago with my then 11 and 9 year olds.  We did it for a few weeks but then fizzled out due to lack of interest from them and other circumstances.  Now my oldest is entering 8th and we still haven't used any formal writing program (just doing some light creative writing here and there).  Needless to say, he and his sister are both weak in the writing department and I'm wanting to use this year to get ds13 prepared for his upcoming high school years.

I am really considering Writers in Residence for this year as our writing program.  I like that it incorporates grammar, especially in the context of writing vs as a separate component.  But I also have read some great things about WS and I wonder if we should give it another shot.

*If* we were to use WS again, and after going through WS3 this year, what level would I go to next for each child?  Are they in sequential order or do I place them according to age/grade?  They are ds13 and dd11.

Thank you!

I tried Writing Strands 3 about 2 years or so ago with my then 11 and 9 year olds.  We did it for a few weeks but then fizzled out due to lack of interest from them and other circumstances.  Now my oldest is entering 8th and we still haven't used any formal writing program (just doing some light creative writing here and there).  Needless to say, he and his sister are both weak in the writing department and I'm wanting to use this year to get ds13 prepared for his upcoming high school years.

I am really considering Writers in Residence for this year as our writing program.  I like that it incorporates grammar, especially in the context of writing vs as a separate component.  But I also have read some great things about WS and I wonder if we should give it another shot.

*If* we were to use WS again, and after going through WS3 this year, what level would I go to next for each child?  Are they in sequential order or do I place them according to age/grade?  They are ds13 and dd11.

Thank you!

They are in order, but I would start with Level 4, not 3. You can skip 3. After that, they need to be done in order.

Each level is approximately one semester's worth of writing instruction (the author assumed that the other semester of a school year would have been literature), but you could do two in a year. There are only seven levels, so your dc could easily finish the series.

WS is my favorite. :001_wub: