Menu

Anyone have vinyl plank flooring?

Peaceseeker

Yes. I'm out basement. Very, very happy with it. Installed about 10 years ago. I know that now they have even better styles, colors, etc. If it's flooring for a dining area or where furniture will be moved around or.potential scratches, I would check any flooring I was considering for how easily it scratches.

I had it in our house two houses ago. It was easy to clean and quiet and I liked the way it looked.

The downside was that it absolutely killed the resale value on our house. Eventhough it was only six months old when we listed,  we ended up giving a several thousand dollar flooring allowance because "vinyl" in a real estate ad in the Houston area at that price point was the kiss of death. Everyone wants wood or tile. It didn't matter that is was "luxury vinyl plank". No one cared, and it was the one thing we were ripped on feedback to the realtor. So if you think there's even a remote chance of selling and you're a a mid-range price point or higher, you might think twice. 

I have vinyl tile flooring which is very similar if not exactly the same.  I really like how it feels and it isn't as cold on bare feet.  (no shoe house here)  As others said above, it is softer and may scratch.  We have it in our mud room/garage entrance and we have noticed some scratches.  

It was so incredibly easy to install and will be potentially easy to remove.  I'm just not sure about longevity.  

I just laid it in our front entry. we haven't had it long enough to have much of an opinion beyond

1. dog pee cleans up very well from it. i was concerned because it is soft and it feels porous, but apparently it's not. 

2. we got a light stone look. it hides dirt very well. we live in the desert and the front hall is always dusty. i haven't seen footprints on it yet. 

3. it was so fast and easy. i finished the job in less than an hour. 

4. ours is sticky, and i don't think it's sticking very well. now, D laid a few tiles, which I pulled up and rearranged. he didn't clean the floor first, so they aren't super sticky now. but that is user error. i'll pop a little epoxy under there and I think that will be fine. 

5. it's inexpensive. we used two boxes at $20-$25 each (I didn't buy them, D did). 

Edited by Desert Strawberry

We had Armstrong Alterna luxury vinyl tile installed in our bathrooms and laundry room last Match when we bought this house. I puffy heart love it. IMO it's as close to the perfect type of flooring as one can get (keeping in mind that nothing is perfect, and especially when it comes to flooring). It looks great (we had ours grouted in, so it looks just like real tile), cleans up very easily, feels nice under foot and ours seems impervious to scratching. It looks just as good as it did the day after it was installed. It hasn't scratched or dented even where I've shoved the washer and dryer around. I'd love to do the rest of the house in LVP, but the hardwood is holding up okay for now (unfortunately)., It wasn't inexpensive.

We've had it in our kitchen since we moved here over two years ago, and I love it. We're always sliding chairs around on it, and ours doesn't have a scratch. It feels warmer and softer on my feet, and I don't have to worry about water damage if the cats spill their water bowl in the middle of the night for the umpteenth time. I don't know what kind it is, but given how impervious to everything it is and how nice it looks, I'm thinking it was on the more expensive end. I love it. I wish we had it in every room.

We have Allure vinyl plank in our whole upstairs (except bathrooms, those are grouted LVT). DH did some of it, but I installed much of it myself, sometimes with a toddler on my lap. The only scratch is a long one from moving an old couch. I didn't realize there was a screw coming out the bottom that dragged the floor. It's right center in the middle of the living/dining room area, but you really have to look for it.

Chairs, upright piano, table, toys, pencils... no scratches. I've dropped a hammer and a power drill on it, too, without damage.

Kid colors on it? Magic Eraser. Cat puke? Lysol wipes. Acrylic paint from kid crafts? Let it dry, scrape it up, then Magic Eraser.

The only thing I do not care for is the transition strips and stair nose. Plastic and flimsy. It's the Allure brand. Maybe next time I'd go with whatever generic ones Lowe's sells for other flooring.

I live in a very almost lower middle class, 60's/70's starter home neighborhood. Vinyl flooring would not be an issue for resale at all, as most people would be expecting cheap carpet and sheet vinyl and maybe laminate, not wood and tile.

Edited by BarbecueMom

We have it in our bathrooms and love it. I plan to put it in our basement and kitchen. We'll live here another 20 years so resale isn't an issue but right now it is a young family neighborhood so I think it would be a bonus.