Menu

Equestrian Moms, some questions...

HI Ladies,

My dd is still really enjoying her lessons.  She also went to the 4H horse show, and group meeting and liked the meeting and the show.  Of course that's all on hold for the summer.

I have some questions:

Her barn does not have a lot of kids and teens going to shows, but she really loves it--my dd does not really aspire to win awards, ribbons, accolades and in her life, has NEVER been a ham, and has never been motivated by awards/grades/etc.  SHe is motivated by the actual thing she achieves and by relationships with people.  

She does plan to do some showing.  She realizes, going forward, that if she is ever going to do anything with horses as a job, she will need to know the basics of the showing world.  ALso, she can rule that out and decide just to be a trainer someday, but she can't rule something out which she hasn't tried.  Additionally, I think it will give her and her teacher benchmarks.  

My question is, how much more expensive are the CHPA shows than the 4H?  I read a "show how-to" page from another barn saying that you should plan to pay 1000.00 in fees for one show, NOT including hauling, trailor and horse fees (if it's a day loan not a lease).  this how to page also said you need a groom tip of 25.00 per day...so that one show could easily cost 1500.00

I knew that horses was a super expensive hobby but I always thought the majority of that was because of, you know, the horse. We are not in financial difficulties and able to handle an expensive sport at this time in our daughter's life.  However, I also do not want to THROW money away on something which my daughter isn't completely concerned about (showing...she is totally into horses, wants to learn to train them etc.)...

I looked up the 4H fees and it was like literally the maximum we could expect from one show was about 350.00 and that was if she participates in quite a few classes.

My dd's teacher is actually the owner of our barn and doesn't go to the 4h shows, she takes the kids who are ready to the other ones (I forget the acronyms but she does western so she only goes to ones that include western....and she raises Paint Horses so I know those are on the schedule as well.)  So, it would be a LOT easier and more guaranteed that we'd actually get there for the non-4H shows whereas for hauling the horse to the 4h shows we would be relying on her assistant who is a wonderful lady but I don't know how long she would be at this barn.  

And, FWIW I know NOTHING about horses and this is NOT my hobby at all and even though I love to pet them and I love the great outdoors I want this to be her thing as much as possible and not get overly involved except to support.

Thank you so much for your time answering. :)

Edited by Calming Tea

My daughter shows horses and it has been a fabulous experience for her, but, yes, it is very expensive!  She shows two horses several weekends a month.  I don't know that I can help you with costs though.  My daughter rides English and shows in Hunter classes.

• Like 2

My daughter shows English a few shows a season, and I have never paid close to that.  I couldn't!  We are not doing high level dressage/jump classes, but we do local recognized and unrecognized shows.

I do know people whose teens are competing with the plan to work towards Olympic level competition, and they spend a fortune.  

ETA:  Invest your $ in helmets and, if appropriate, vests. Not to be a downer, but dd is currently in a splint while awaiting appt with orthopedist tomorrow to decide if her arm can be casted or requires surgery.  A horse spooked (apparently there was some scary looking dirt  :huh:).  The arm is nasty and unfortunate, but I am grateful her helmet protected her as this could have been much worse.  She has had some other falls/throws/accidents, and the helmet and vest have served her well.  She works at the barn, so is more in the line of fire than your dd will be.

Edited by bzymom

You must be in a higher cost of living area.

Here in West Michigan horse 4H was $25/year for membership. Weekly meetings/riding times were free. It was free to enter the classes at the shows and sometimes $5/per person admission fee.

Show clothes can be bought used as can tack for the horse. You might have a fee to haul/trailer the horse to the show...here about $25 if you ride with someone else already going.

In our area kids can chose attend 1-4 4H shows in our county. Then there are some fun shows where it is $4/class to enter.

Yes, you can show huge circuit shows and that might come later but to start out O would see if there are any local fun shows or other 4H offerings.

• Like 1

Thanks!!! I looked it up again and found the sites from the shows themselves and I think it looks more like 240.00 and that's for several

Classes! That's the private horse shows.

The 4H classic has no fees for the classes and just other misc fees so apparently the 4H shows would cost me under 100.00

I don't know maybe that FAQ page was a super rich kids barn or something ...I'll keep looking for more show info.

Edited by Calming Tea

I will have to check with my husband because he handles the show bills (I am in charge of my other daughter's ballet expenses--we divide the labor for these two activities).  I do know that our barn offers groom services.  We can choose 3 levels of services-- from doing everything yourself to full-care (horses are groomed and tacked up for you) to a level in between.  We, of course, have to pay for the two horses to get transported down there as well.  This wasn't always the case, but lately we have been fortunate to have our daughter excel on her two horses.  She often wins derbies and classics now where she wins money.  This offsets our bills and at the end of the season, the horse show often owes us money!  It is still expensive for all of the other costs, but at least we are getting our entry fees back!

• Like 1

^^ yes we are on the edge of the highest cost of living area in the entire US

:)

But I just looked up the 4H fees and they're only 10.00 per class. So I don't know how many classes kids enter but it looks like my previous figure for 4H was off and it would be more like 100.00 for one show.

Great idea to buy the uniform used!!! She is petite so very likely another teen girl would have grown out of stuff!

Yes we are definitely going to look at used saddles although someone at our barn did that and then the girth didn't fit! :(

Thanks everyone! I was really freaking out. 100 I can do. Even 350 I can do a few times per year. But 1500 no way especially not 6 times per year :)

Edited by Calming Tea

My daughter shows English a few shows a season, and I have never paid close to that. I couldn't! We are not doing high level dressage/jump classes, but we do local recognized and unrecognized shows.

I do know people whose teens are competing with the plan to work towards Olympic level competition, and they spend a fortune.

ETA: Invest your $ in helmets and, if appropriate, vests. Not to be a downer, but dd is currently in a splint while awaiting appt with orthopedist tomorrow to decide if her arm can be casted or requires surgery. A horse spooked (apparently there was some scary looking dirt :huh:). The arm is nasty and unfortunate, but I am grateful her helmet protected her as this could have been much worse. She has had some other falls/throws/accidents, and the helmet and vest have served her well. She works at the barn, so is more in the line of fire than your dd will be.

Thank you! Yes we bought the top of the top helmet. I know everyone says any astm is safe but we figured her head was worth it :)

When she starts jumping I'll get a vest :)

Edited by Calming Tea
  • Like 1

^^ yes we are on the edge of the highest cost of living area in the entire US

:)

But I just looked up the 4H fees and they're only 10.00 per class. So I don't know how many classes kids enter but it looks like my previous figure for 4H was off and it would be more like 100.00 for one show.

Great idea to buy the uniform used!!! She is petite so very likely another teen girl would have grown out of stuff!

Yes we are definitely going to look at used saddles although someone at our barn did that and then the girth didn't fit! :(

Thanks everyone! I was really freaking out. 100 I can do. Even 350 I can do a few times per year. But 1500 no way especially not 6 times per year :)

Our area has used "tack sales" several times a year where you can get show clothes, boots, tack, etc. at huge discounts as kids outgrow it, etc.  A good helmet is a must and the saddle must fit the horse and rider well.  Some horses are very easy to saddle fit and others are much more difficult.  For a used saddle it is best to see if you can try it on the horse and have someone experienced tell you if it fits well before buying it.  As to the girth, that is easy to buy used (or even new) so that isn't a big deal at all.

I would start out with the $100 shows and see how she likes it and go from there.  There are so many styles of riding-----English, hunter/jumper, dressage, trail, reining, speed shows, western pleasure, ranch riding, team penning and other rodeo events, and on and on.

• Like 1

Thank you!!

I guess I don't know my terminology...my barn acquaintance had to sell the entire saddle because the width of the seat did not fit the horse.  My dd said the girth is just the bucke that goes under.  What do I know!  But yeah, do you bring your horse to the saddlry?  How does such a thing even work?  LOL

Thank you!!

I guess I don't know my terminology...my barn acquaintance had to sell the entire saddle because the width of the seat did not fit the horse.  My dd said the girth is just the bucke that goes under.  What do I know!  But yeah, do you bring your horse to the saddlry?  How does such a thing even work?  LOL

Remember, I am in West Michigan in a fairly trusting area that is more fun shows and 4H stuff.  Often people will let you put a deposit on a saddle and take it home to try it on the horse.  Other times they might meet you somewhere to try it on.  Some people will even trailer their horse to the tack sales so they can try a lot of different saddles on the horse right there.

Often your riding instructor can tell you the basics of what size/type saddle you need and rule out many others just based on the size/shape of your horse and the size of the rider.  For example, I know that I need a 17 inch western saddle with a wide tree for my QH mare and myself.  That rules out a lot of saddles immediately.

One good place to learn a great deal is the local feed store, esp if they are locally owned and not a chain store.  They know where the shows are, who is selling tack, when the sales are, who has ....................for sale, etc.  At least that is how it works in our area.

• Like 1

Thank you!!

At the saddlery near us, you can set up an appointment to bring your horse there and try out different saddles.  :)

• Like 1

Ah, thanks!! It'll be quite a while till she leases, and we will consider whether to buy her own saddle or borrow from the barn at that time.  

They have quite a few saddles, and currently she has one that fits great.  But whenever she leases, I don't know that they'll have one great for her as she is petite but not child-size...we will see.

I guess I'll be sure to ask her barn people for help.  

Edited by Calming Tea