Menu

Swollen salivary glands?

mom of 2 boys

I had a failed root canal about a year ago. Long story short, I ended up with a fever and swollen glands (both lymph nodes and what I believe are salivary glands under my chin) two days later. The dentist called it a "sinus infection" and sent me on a wild goose chase for 4 months. Nobody could see any issues with the tooth on the X-rays, but I was getting sicker and developing vision problems, so I had to make the judgement call on my own to get the tooth extracted. Thank God I did, because everything cleared up within a few weeks...except for the swollen glands. They are STILL swollen 8 months after the extraction. I had read that glands can swell for awhile, and I knew that my extraction sight would need time to heal up, so that could have effected things, but the swelling is starting to become uncomfortable now. I feel pressure under my tongue and I have a bad taste in my mouth some days. I've been avoiding going to the doctor because I saw so many of them last year and they were just SO unhelpful, I haven't felt like dealing with them again.

I found some medicated mouth rinse in the closet (chlorahexadine?), so I'm using that, but it isn't helping. I'm salivating just fine, so I don't think there is any sort of a blockage. I do not have a fever. I have occasional lymph node pain nearby, but I think this is just unrelated and having to do with normal sicknesses coming and going (could be wrong though.)

Does this sound like a salivary gland infection? Could this somehow still be considered normal swelling at this point from the tooth issues last year? Maybe if I can figure out the problem and just tell my doctor what it is, I won't have to deal with any headaches.

Thank you!

You have lots of different saliva glands, so the presence of saliva doesn't mean that some aren't blocked.  I would see a doctor about the glands.  I have had mine cleared in the past but they still tend to close up at times - then I can 'milk' the saliva out and clear the blockage.

You have lots of different saliva glands, so the presence of saliva doesn't mean that some aren't blocked.  I would see a doctor about the glands.  I have had mine cleared in the past but they still tend to close up at times - then I can 'milk' the saliva out and clear the blockage.

Oh, that's a good point. I honestly don't know very much about this (if that wasn't obvious lol.) Would you be able to tell me what the typical form of treatment for this sort of issue is? Assuming that's what my problem is, of course. Thank you! 

Do you have any powdered ginger in your spice rack?  Put on a shirt you don't care about (this will be messy), and mix a paste of ginger and water.  Spread it on your jaw and under your chin all around where there is swelling. Put a hot compress on top of the paste. One washcloth with the warmest water you can stand covered with a hand towel or two to hold in the warmth & contain the water.  Sit down in front of the tv & watch something 20-30 minutes long.  You may feel slight burning, tingling, or drawing sensations.

If this helps, it will be visibly better after the very first time.  If it helps you, repeat 2-3 times over the next day or so, and your swelling should be gone.

When that's done, find a new dentist and have him look for other root issues in the same section of jaw.  If a tooth was that bad, you may also be having issues with other teeth that need to also be pulled.

Oh, that's a good point. I honestly don't know very much about this (if that wasn't obvious lol.) Would you be able to tell me what the typical form of treatment for this sort of issue is? Assuming that's what my problem is, of course. Thank you!

If it's just a little blockage caused by a stone, the doctor may be able to massage it to clear itself or use a tiny probe, I think.

My husband has issues with his saliva glands. He pushes and "sucks" out stones often.

One very helpful doctor gave him the tip to suck on something super sour. Like a lemon drop. Or, if you want all natural, you could put a slice of lemon under your tongue.

It's a bit of a crazy thing to do, but it does stimulate the glands to clear themselves out of any junk they're hanging on to. You may want to have strong mouth rinse handy, apparently the results taste awful.

My husband has discussed getting his main problem gland removed with doctors. But the problem is that even the best surgeon runs the risk of cutting some of facial nerves there. 

• Like 1