Menu

If you had well water with no flouride, would you give your kids a flouride supplement?

poppy

Flouride  

93 members have voted

1. 1. If no fluoride in drinking water -- would you supplement?

• I do NOT have fluoride in my drinking water and I give the kids a flouride supplement.
    • I do NOT have fluoride in my drinking water and I do NOT give the kids a flouride supplement.
    • Our water has fluoride , but if it didn't, I would give the kids a fluoride supplement.
    • Our water has fluoride , but if it didn't, I would not give the kids a fluoride supplement.
    • Obligatory Other

We moved to a house with a well a year ago, and just learned the water has no fluoride.

Dentist says I should offer a fluoride supplement. 

I'm inclined to agree, but, I wanted to hear other people's experiences and opinions.

I would not supplement, because fluoride works best topically and can have negative effects on body parts other than the teeth (i.e. the brain) when ingested.

Flouride toothpaste may be sufficient, if you want more than that you could consider a flouride rinse or a prescription strength fluoride toothpaste.

• Like 15

Oh, hell, no. Yes, I do feel that vehemently about it. Because this:

I would not supplement, because fluoride works best topically and can have negative effects on body parts other than the teeth (i.e. the brain) when ingested.

• Like 5

I voted well water but no supplement. My family has good enamel though. I may have given them the genes for varicose veins, asthma, eczema, etc but I did give them good genes for enamel. One cavity between all 4 kids ages 10-17. They did live on city water when they were younger though. We have only been on well water the past 5 years or so.

Edited by frogger
  • Like 1

For years both the doctor and the dentist asked every time we saw them if we were on well water, and when they found out we were, prescribed fluoride.  I never filled the prescription and finally told the dentist that we weren't doing it.  A few years ago, they told me that they were no longer recommending fluoride supplements.

ETA:  The study maize linked may have been the reason--it came out at about the same time that they stopped recommending it.

Edited by EKS
  • Like 4

We moved to a house with a well a year ago, and just learned the water has no fluoride.

I'm inclined to agree, but, I wanted to hear other people's experiences and opinions.

One of my kids uses a prescription toothpaste with extra fluoride. Maybe your dentist could give you a prescription?

I would do something. I grew up on well water, and dealt with cavaties my whole life. My kids are 3, 13, and 15, and have never had one living in the city with flouride in the city water. I do attribute my problems to growing up without it, and I tell my kids that too, so that they think about it for their kids in the future. They are getting a much better start to their lives with good teeth. 

• Like 1

I had the opposite experience from 2_girls_mommy. I grew up in the city, never had dental issues, same for dh. My kids started out on well water and have all had some cavities. If I could do over, I might have done some supplementing, or maybe bought 5 gallon water for drinking.

I had the opposite experience from 2_girls_mommy. I grew up in the city, never had dental issues, same for dh. My kids started out on well water and have all had some cavities. If I could do over, I might have done some supplementing, or maybe bought 5 gallon water for drinking.

Well anecdotally I grew up in a city and have had a crap load of dental issues.  On top of that I had extra fluoride treatments at school.  So it's not always that simple.

• Like 4

Um..wouldn't fluoride toothpaste and maybe a mouthwash/rinse be good enough? Those things have that in there anyway right? And don't many people use that stuff anyway?

What other supplements are there?

Prescription fluoride drops you put on the tongue.

My old ped said it wasn't a worry because ask processed products are made with fluoridated water. So canned vegetables and bottles of juice also had it. At the time I was a bit dubious because we don't consume those significantly.

• Like 1

Prescription fluoride drops you put on the tongue.

My old ped said it wasn't a worry because ask processed products are made with fluoridated water. So canned vegetables and bottles of juice also had it. At the time I was a bit dubious because we don't consume those significantly.

Ah ok.  Huh..never heard of that.

The fluoride treatments we had at school were some sort of topical rinse thingie if I recall correctly.  Not sure why they did them since we had fluoride in the water AND used toothpaste with fluoride. 

I'd definitely use a good toothpaste and mouth rinse that contains fluoride. I've seen significant improvement in my own dental health after adding a fluoride containing mouthwash.

I don't know enough about fluoride supplements to have an opinion.

Well anecdotally I grew up in a city and have had a crap load of dental issues. On top of that I had extra fluoride treatments at school. So it's not always that simple.

I'm not saying it is, just saying in retrospect I might change how we handled it. I didn't worry about it because neither dh nor I had any issues growing up so I thought our kids would follow a similar path, but they didn't, so...who knows. Neither of us had glasses and my kids all do, but I can't blame that on fluoride (can I?)

• Like 1

We have always lived in places with city water. My and dh's teeth didn't have many cavities; our kids teeth do. Incidentally, grandparents on either side have had lots of dental problems. I think genetics are stronger. Also, I do not think fluoride is very good for your thyroid, and our older kids have hypothyroidism that was inherited through dh's maternal side.

• Like 1

Our ped dentist told me that topical treatments are what help teeth, not internal so he doesn't recommend supplements. We use fluoride toothpaste, mouthwash, and they get fluoride treatments 2x a year. 

My only child who has had cavities is the one who also got fluoride supplements as a baby/toddler. Go figure. 

• Like 1

We have a well.  I absolutely would NOT give my children any fluoride product that was consumed.  I am NOT opposed to using fluoride toothpaste or rinse, i.e., a non-consumed product.

I am thinking about trying that Frankincense toothpaste that is out there.  A non-flakey friend swears it totally changed her daughter's bad teeth.  

With 11 kids, I run the board - the kids that have no cavities ever and are AWFUL at brushing and one REALLY faithful brushers whose teeth make you want to cry because they constantly need some kind of work done.  They are beautiful, straight, and lovely, but by 14 she has had numerous fillings and two root canals.  She used prescription toothpaste and it did not make one whit difference.

Oh, and I *do* do a fluoride treatment at the dentist office for all of them.  But, no, absolutely NO supplementation.

• Like 4

I would think about a rinse, for sure I would use a flouride toothpaste.

I think the research is pretty clear that it makes a difference to dental health.  Anecdotally, my friend initially avoided all flouride with her dd.  Despite careful brushing, she had serious tooth issues and had to have some pulled as a toddler.  Once she started supplementing (not sure with what but not just toothpaste), she had significant improvements. 

• Like 1

I'm not saying it is, just saying in retrospect I might change how we handled it. I didn't worry about it because neither dh nor I had any issues growing up so I thought our kids would follow a similar path, but they didn't, so...who knows. Neither of us had glasses and my kids all do, but I can't blame that on fluoride (can I?)

Haha..yep

We have well water and great teeth :). We use fluroride toothpaste and my kids get sealants on their molars. I bought disclosing tablets to reveal plaque (to encourage better brushing) and bough stannous fluoride gel as a weekly treatment. I buy those Plackers flossers that are so much easier than floss.

• Like 1

I had to vote other.  Our city water has fluoride so we purchase water that is fluoride free for drinking and cooking.  We also don't do fluoride treatment at the dentist, etc.  My kids had cavities when they were smaller.  We saw them disappear as their adult teeth came in and I stopped allowing them to eat gummy type snacks.  They really even kind of suck about brushing and neither have a filling in any adult tooth.

• Like 2

We have no fluoride in our water and I never gave them the baby fluoride drops, but we also have weak enamel and the fluoride rinse when used correctly with fluoride toothpaste & correct flossing has made a huge difference in the # of dental cavities.

And as a PSA, I have terrible gums (yay genetics) and the dentist recommended the sonicare airflosser.  I use it with a fluoride mouthwash and it has reversed some of my pockets and I have avoided 2 root canals.

Amber in SJ

• Like 1

And as a PSA, I have terrible gums (yay genetics) and the dentist recommended the sonicare airflosser.  

Interesting. I also have bad gums thanks to genetics. I have sensitive teeth and gums too. My dentist recommended a Waterpik that has the pocket pik (allowing you to get in deep pockets of gums) and the Sonicare electric toothbrush that has a sensitive setting. I wonder if the difference is because of my sensitivity.

We have a well; have always had a well with no fluoride. We don't supplement, but DD gets it applied topically 2x a year at the dentists. I feel this is sufficient.  DD is 14 and has only had one cavity so far. However, she's also a kid who doesn't like sweets and that helps.

I'm another one who grew up on well water and have a mouth full of fillings.  Now as an adult I have city water and my kids haven't had cavities.  My niece, a dental hygienist, relates (nonscientific) her experience with a county that does not have city water verses the other two counties that do and the high rate of cavities she sees from the kids in the well water county.  Maybe it's just incidental. 

Interesting. I also have bad gums thanks to genetics. I have sensitive teeth and gums too. My dentist recommended a Waterpik that has the pocket pik (allowing you to get in deep pockets of gums) and the Sonicare electric toothbrush that has a sensitive setting. I wonder if the difference is because of my sensitivity.

I was already using the sonicare toothbrush with the sensitive setting & the waterpik, but the waterpik didn't do the trick.  I really saw the reversals with the airflosser.  I had to get used to it.  The toothbrush made me gag when we first got it, but eventually I got used to it.

Amber in SJ

• Like 1

I voted, but it should be in the past-tense.  We lived for 19yrs in a house with well-water.  I never gave the kids fluoride supplements.  Some of the kids had a few cavities, but mostly their mouths were better than mine... I grew up with fluoride.  

We mostly ate whole foods...with the occasional chips and soda for treats.  I also used to water down any juice they had as little kids.  But, mostly they drank water and milk.

[

I was already using the sonicare toothbrush with the sensitive setting & the waterpik, but the waterpik didn't do the trick.  I really saw the reversals with the airflosser.  I had to get used to it.  The toothbrush made me gag when we first got it, but eventually I got used to it.

Amber in SJ

Thanks. I'll keep that in mind if the Waterpik doesn't work. The Sonicare definitely takes some getting used to!

Our city water doesn't have fluoride. Every time they discuss it in city counsel people show up and do 'die ins' and claim fluoride is used for mind control..true story.

We use a fluoride rinse by Listerine made for children, and obviously a fluoride toothpaste. They use it every night after brushing. That combined with sealants and a lot of attention to dental hygiene has meant zero cavities for our kids. I am very happy about this because I have a mouthful of them and it is causing me trouble later in life.

• Like 1

We have well water. Dd1 hasn't had any cavities while dd2 has had 2. Our dentist thinks that dd2 has weak enamel like I do. We use fluoride toothpaste, ACT for kids rinse and the fluoride that the hygienist paints on. Dd1 has also had her first set of sealers put on.

Edited by MomtoCandJ

Two youngest have grown nearly all their teeth in this house with this non-fluoridated water.  (Two oldest got their teeth when we lived elsewhere with fluoridated water)

Before fluoride tablets, they got cavities on every dental visit (twice a year). They brushed twice a day and flossed and used a fluoride mouth rinse every day.  (All with parental oversight.)

Dentist suggested fluoride tablets. I asked doctor.  Doctor prescribed. Six months later -- no cavities. Ever since that visit (two years ago) -- no cavities. Same daily brushing, flossing, and rinsing.

Go fluoride!

• Like 2

Ours are on filtered rain water and prone to cavities. We ended up getting a tooth mousse type product and the kids teeth have been better. some dentists recommend just using the fluoride toothpaste and not rinsing but I think there's other nasties in toothpaste I don't want my kids swallowing.

Other. I did not give my children flouride supplements and we do have well water, but I regretted it. When they were little, they had practically perfect teeth. But now, DD has had a lot of small cavities since about age 14. DS17 had mouth trauma and it ruined the front four teeth; they grew small and mishapen and it was expensive to repair. I have wondered if these issues might have been prevented by stronger teeth.

We have our own well.  We have lived here 12 years.  I do not give my kids a fluoride supplement, but we do use a fluoride toothpaste, and they get fluoride treatments from the dental hygienist twice a year.

None of us (2 adults, 3 kids age 12-21) have had a single cavity since we've lived here.  

• Like 1

We do the sealant on the teeth, not a supplement taken internally. I also haven't taught them to rinse out their mouths when they brush their teeth, only to spit out the excess. We are on a well. If the dentist didn't do the sealant I don't think I would do some internal supplement. (Don't even know what that is). When oldest was younger I sort of made it a point to get her a cup of fluoridated water from somewhere we visited several times a week, but with youngers I have forgotten. :)

Edited by MotherGoose

We have well water but I don't bother fluoriding my dc because I figure that they're always swallowing toothpaste (against my wishes) and I'd be afraid of over doing it. I definitely use fluoride toothpaste though.

• Like 1

my kids were raised on well water, we used fluoride toothpaste and ACT type rinse.  They had the dental fluoride treatment until age 12 (whatever age the insurance stop paying )   They both went through braces and both got one small cavity during the orthodontic treatment.  It was do to them not being extra diligent with the brushing/flossing.   They probability wouldn't of got a cavity had they not worn braces.  But anyway they were small no big deal.

I was raised with no well water, poor dental hygiene, poor diet.  I had bad teeth.   When  graduated college.  I spent my first year salary getting crown and fixing my teeth.  I was only 22.  Sad 

SO I parented with intention of my kids having good teeth. kwim 

• Like 1

We have a well, and our dentist, who also had a well, did not recommend fluoride supplements, so none of our children got them. They had fluoride toothpaste and the fluoride treatments at the dentist 2x/year. Everybody has good teeth.

Anne

When my kids were young, we lived in Germany where water has no fluoride and where doctors are generally not recommending supplementation of vitamins and minerals (no kid vitamins as they are common in the US) - however, with the notable exception of fluoride and vit D for infants. German pediatricians prescribe fluoride for all babies until they are old enough to use a fluoridated tooth paste. That is what we did.

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 1