Menu

Need positive comment help for "75% of Black CA boys don't meet reading standards"

ElizabethB

http://www.dailynews.com/social-affairs/20170604/75-of-black-california-boys-dont-meet-state-reading-standards

I tried to make one but my comment has been pending for 3 hours.  (I've don't post anywhere but here usually but this article and the comments made my try to sign up to comment.) Many of the comments are depressing, and there are no solutions posted.  This is what I tried to post, it's been pending for 3 hours:

All students do better with phonics, but my black students have progressed even faster with phonics--with the help of a lot of nonsense words to fix the problems caused by sight word teaching in the schools. My "Closing the Gap in Reading" article explains how to close the gap, with links to free to print remedial material: https://plus.google.com/u/0/107068995734375324617/posts/fewRUKQyzst

If any parents trying to make a difference see the article, I would hope that there could be some positive comments and solutions, not just your standard poor taste comments.

Edited by ElizabethB
  • Like 3

I'd just reiterate the gap has nothing to do with native intelligence and the students do beautifully with support and targeted practice. That's a fact!

Oh MY GOSH!  I am sickened by the comments I am reading.  Pretty sure the IQ of all of them combined is lower than 82.

Right.  I was, too.  

Hopefully we can add some better ones and like (or whatever, mostly I hang out here, LOL) the better ones so that any parent reading will see some positive comments.  Solutions would be nice, too, and I know that phonics with nonsense words and Webster's Speller has worked very well for my remedial students--including 2 formerly homeless black students from the Los Angeles area from when we live there for a year. Many minority students have also used my online phonics lessons successfully.

Edited by ElizabethB

Right.  I was, too.  

Hopefully we can add some better ones and like (or whatever, mostly I hang out here, LOL) the better ones so that any parent reading will see some positive comments.  Solutions would be nice, too, and I know that phonics with nonsense words and Webster's Speller has worked very well for my remedial students--including 2 formerly homeless black students from the Los Angeles area from when we live there for a year. Many minority students have also used my online phonics lessons successfully.

You know these people aren't the cream of the crop?  When you add ideas like nonsense words, they won't understand that, and will make negative comments about it.  Seriously, I have dealt with these sorts and they don't get anything that sounds "different."  Nor do they have any intention of changing their minds, and when there is a mob mentality, why should they?

I did teach a program called Language! (yes, it had the exclamation point at the end) that was designed for students who are very behind in reading.  It was a decent program.  I have no idea if it is still used in LA, my guess is that there is another program now.

• Like 1

You know these people aren't the cream of the crop? When you add ideas like nonsense words, they won't understand that, and will make negative comments about it. Seriously, I have dealt with these sorts and they don't get anything that sounds "different." Nor do they have any intention of changing their minds, and when there is a mob mentality, why should they?

I did teach a program called Language! (yes, it had the exclamation point at the end) that was designed for students who are very behind in reading. It was a decent program. I have no idea if it is still used in LA, my guess is that there is another program now.

I choose to believe that they're all chatbots and shills.

• Like 1

I didn't didn't read much above...sorry. Wanted to share a conversation I had with a retired elementary teacher in the south. Somehow, we got on to teaching reading and phonics. She said that using phonics was a disaster with the black students because, "They talk differently than we do." The black students were failing, so they switched back to sight reading for them so that they would pass. I said that that was unfortunate because sight reading is an inferior method, and causes students to not have the ability to sound out words they don't know esp. in the upper grades.

I didn't didn't read much above...sorry. Wanted to share a conversation I had with a retired elementary teacher in the south. Somehow, we got on to teaching reading and phonics. She said that using phonics was a disaster with the black students because, "They talk differently than we do." The black students were failing, so they switched back to sight reading for them so that they would pass. I said that that was unfortunate because sight reading is an inferior method, and causes students to not have the ability to sound out words they don't know esp. in the upper grades.

Oh good grief, I hope most of her students were white.

As much as I hate common core, one thing I like about it is that all teachers MUST teach the same thing......so they all HAVE to teach phonics.  It is part of the K-2 foundational reading standards.

• Like 1

Oh good grief, I hope most of her students were white.

As much as I hate common core, one thing I like about it is that all teachers MUST teach the same thing......so they all HAVE to teach phonics. It is part of the K-2 foundational reading standards.

But at least around here the WAY they teach it is not very good. When I subbed in a local elementary school I kept thinking over and over again how much better my homeschool materials were than what they were using.

I have never had a problem teaching phonics to any of my minority students. I did have one white student from rural Arkansas that took me a while to figure out his pronunciation and help him and teach him phonics, but once I figured out the difference between his accent and mine and what was accent differences and what was lack of phonics knowledge, phonics worked with him, too. I have lived in a lot of different states in my 23 years of tutoring, 21 of it in a variety of different states when we were an Air Force family.

Edited by ElizabethB
  • Like 3

She did go on to say that the district kept changing how they were to teach reading so they went through about five or six different ways over the course of her career. I should have asked her for an example.

We were visiting, so I don't know. I didn't have any trouble understanding anyone, black or white, even though I'm a Yankee. :)

I believe that there is some evidence that teaching children in their native dialect first, before transitioning to the standard/prestige/educated dialect, can improve both their reading ability and their ability to use the standard dialect. (And to transition between both dialects appropriately, which is important.)

However, this gets mixed up with politics, and the attempts to do this in the US were kind of ham-fisted.

• Like 3

Honestly, I would prefer that people quit posting racial demographics involving academics. I think economic demographics are more accurate.

In regards to reading, the ability to sight read develops much younger than the ability for phonics. (Hence, the "Your Baby Can Read" craziness.) However, both are extremely important learning modalities for all. Both methods should be taught to all children at the child's individual development rate. Sight reading, and other visual memorization, developed usually by toddlers or preschoolers, is the building block for later photographic memory skills. While phonics, usually with a later developmental ability, ages 5 to 8, helps with future analytical abilities. The two skills develop in different brain areas, neither of which should be neglected.

It's not just about reading.

Edited by Minniewannabe
  • Like 4

OP I read the article in post  #1 (and I know the newspaper and Readers Choice Awards program).  Interesting.  Your title asks for positive comment help.  I do not have positive comments to suggest to you. I think it is possibility #2, Cultural Pressure, and that those boys might benefit from some kind of mentoring program by people they admire. Athletes, Musicians, etc.  That it is across different income levels is quite troubling.  Reading and Writing are critical skills for someone looking to enter (and be successful in) university.  There are no easy answers to complex questions.  

Right.  I was, too.  

Said gently and with the greatest respect for your work to advance literacy and the quality of your online lessons (which I have had the pleasure of watching the past).

The inclusion of a Christian message in these lessons virtually eliminates their suitability for the vast majority of public school teachers who would not think of pointing a student to a resource with a religious message (even if, or maybe even especially, they were Christians themselves).

Sectarian materials are assiduously avoided by every public school teacher I know, as they are seen as an inappropriate promotion of one faith over another. Few teachers will go there.

I think it is unfortunate there isn't a secular (public school friendly) version of your high-quality lessons. They are good work, but the religious content is a stumbling block to more widespread use IMO.

With highest respect,

Bill

• Like 7

Said gently and with the greatest respect for your work to advance literacy and the quality of your online lessons (which I have had the pleasure of watching the past).

The inclusion of a Christian message in these lessons virtually eliminates their suitability for the vast majority of public school teachers who would not think of pointing a student to a resource with a religious message (even if, or maybe even especially, they were Christians themselves).

Sectarian materials are assiduously avoided by every public school teacher I know, as they are seen as an inappropriate promotion of one faith over another. Few teachers will go there.

I think it is unfortunate there isn't a secular (public school friendly) version of your high-quality lessons. They are good work, but the religious content is a stumbling block to more widespread use IMO.

With highest respect,

Bill

Bill-

I am working on a secular version, the DVD is in Beta form. The lessons are complete but the teacher hints are not yet done.  I have tested it in a public school. The material is free to print:

http://www.thephonicspage.org/On%20Reading/syllablesspellsu.html

Edited by ElizabethB
  • Like 5

Bill-

I am working on a secular version, the DVD is in Beta form. The lessons are complete but the teacher hints are not yet done.  I have tested it in a public school. The material is free to print:

http://www.thephonicspage.org/On%20Reading/syllablesspellsu.html

Good news.

I remember the quality of the lessons were very high. Having a secular version should really broaden the audience.

Bill

• Like 2

http://www.dailynews.com/social-affairs/20170604/75-of-black-california-boys-dont-meet-state-reading-standards

I tried to make one but my comment has been pending for 3 hours.  (I've don't post anywhere but here usually but this article and the comments made my try to sign up to comment.) Many of the comments are depressing, and there are no solutions posted.  This is what I tried to post, it's been pending for 3 hours:

If any parents trying to make a difference see the article, I would hope that there could be some positive comments and solutions, not just your standard poor taste comments.

https://edsource.org/2015/most-california-students-below-standards-on-common-core-aligned-tests/86341

65% overall are not reading to this new convoluted "standard." I would say the standards are stupid and any time someone skips phonics, they are going to be met with failure, regardless of race.

• Like 1