Menu

S/O: Children's books you loved

DawnM

Our copy of "Moo, Bah, La, La, La" is completely worn out.  My favorite aunt gave it to me when my first child was born.  He loved it.  We read it over and over and he particularly loved saying the "NO, NO, NO!" in the middle of the book.

My aunt passed away around 3 years ago.  I miss her terribly.

• Like 2

Without question The Piggy in the Puddle. We still recite it. :0). Never heard of it? Apparently a lot of people didn't. It's not in print, at least not in hardback. And we loved reading the ORIGINAL Thomas the Tank Engine stories---not the cartoony board-book ones. And most of Bill Peet.

Picture books: A Giraffe and a Half, A Fly Went By, and Are You My Mother. I know a lot of people in the other thread hate Are You My Mother? but it makes me think of how my oldest called bulldozers Snorts for a very long time because of that book, and how little and sweet she was. 

Lafcadio the Lion Who Shot Back is currently growing on me quite a bit because my son adores it and I've read it a ton of times, even though it's a very long book. I think it's the reading with my son and seeing him love a book so, rather that the particular book to me in this case. He loves it and I love reading it to him, so it will have a special spot I'm guessing, like the ones above. 

Click, Clack, Moo

Strega Nona books (all that we've read, we've adored)

Pajama Time

If You Decide To Go To the Moon

How To Dig a Hole to the Other Side of the World

Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See?

Goodnight Moon

Giraffes Can't Dance

• Like 1

I am almost afraid to answer this but...

A Zoo for Mister Muster--I just think it's a fun book

Harry the Dirty Dog--One time there was a sign for a lost yellow lab in our neighborhood. The next day a sign for a found chocolate lab went up. I was sure they were the same dog because I read that book!

Taffy of Torpedo Junction--a great chapter book about living on the Outer Banks in WW2

The Monster at the End of this Book--I can still hear my dad reading that to me and later to all the grandkids

Lyle Lyle the Crocodile--I don't know why I like this one, but I do.

Where the Wild Things Are

Anything by Mo Willems. I love the pigeon book. I love the Knuffle Bunny books. I love Elephant and Piggy.

Edited by Caroline
  • Like 1

Ah, I guess I was thinking toddlers.  

As a young girl I read pretty much every book by Enid Blyton I could get my hands on.  I had all the Noddy series and all of the Secret Seven series and then Famous Five.

As I became a teen I read a lot of Ngaio Marsh, Agatha Christie, and Rumer Godden.  

I am sure there are more, but those are the ones I remember the most.

How can you hate the little house? It makes me cry when i read it.

I cannot believe all the books you all hate. I love kids books.

You're on the wrong thread. This is the thread of the books that people love.

• Like 7

Farfallina and Marcel. I think my mom bought it at a library sale and gave it to me. I love that book but I'm not sure if anyone else knows about it. I've never heard anyone else talk about it.

It's about a caterpillar and a gossling that become friends. But one day the caterpillar (Farfallina) disappears. Marcel (the goose) waits and waits for her...and gets sooo lonely. Meanwhile, he grows up.

Then, Marcel sees a butterfly fluttering around. She lands on his back. He doesn't recognize her, of course, and she doesn't recognize him, being all grown up. After a brief conversation they realize who they are and it's such a happy reunion. I don't think I've ever read the book without choking up with happiness at their reunion.

ETA: Here's a video of someone reading it! I never knew this existed...how strange.

Edited by Garga
  • Like 1

When I was a kid... "the monster at the end of this book". "Harold and the purple crayon". But my absolute favourite was volume 1 of the childcraft books. I carried that around constantly.

When my niece was little, it was "moo, baa, la, la, la". I can still hear my niece exclaiming "No no no, that isn't right. A Pig says 'OINK' all day and night."

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

• Like 3

Harry the Dirty Dog--One time there was a sign for a lost yellow lab in our neighborhood. The next day a sign for a found chocolate lab went up. I was sure they were the same dog because I read that book!

Yes! Definitely a classic.

• Like 3

I always loved The Little House! So does my 5yo. Like us, the house is happy in the country! As a kid, I loved The Little Red Lighthouse and the Great Grey Bridge too.

Winnie the Pooh and The Little Engine That Could, although I'm pretty sure I can't read them now without crying because I read them to Nate because they're his brothers' favorites.

Goodnight Moon and Go Dog Go were my 5yo's favorites for a very long time. He'd insist that we read them many times in a row.

Mama, Mama was DD's favorite. And Have You Seen My Cat? And Pilgrim Cat. And Ballerina Flying. We checked those last two out so many times that I bought her her own.

If You Give a Mouse a Cookie.

The Very Hungry Caterpillar -- it was one of the first books I bought for DD when she was a baby, and we've read it maaaaaaany times.

Fox in Socks

Scuffy was DH's favorite. I was so tempted to buy him the stuffed Scuffy at Kohl's even though we have a gazillion stuffed friends.

All of a Kind Family, A Little Princess, and the Little House books are still favorites of mine.

As a kid, I thought The Monster at the End of This Book was terribly clever.

• Like 3

I'm really loving the James Marshall books. I at first didn't like them because of the cartoony drawings, but there is so much depth to them.

I love George and Martha and how they relate to each other.

George and Martha were great hits here.  And I enjoyed meeting them as an adult.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 2

The Frog and Toad books. We all quote them constantly.

"What we need is Willpower!"

"Hello, lunch!"

"Maybe it is, and maybe it isn't."

"Wake me up at half past May."

"Now my day is all crossed out."

"Give up. That kite will never fly."

(Possibly slightly inaccurate at this point...)

• Like 5

When I was a kid I loved a book about a witch who rode on a vacuum cleaner. Can't remember the name of it, but I remember loving that story. ETA: Just googled it. It's called The Wednesday Witch.

And there was another book I loved called, "What Good Luck, What Bad Luck" where there character went through a series of events that seemed horrible but returned out lucky then turned out horrible again. Ex: What bad luck, my parachute didn't open. What good luck, I landed in the ocean. What bad luck, there were sharks in the ocean. What good luck, I knew how to swim. Etc.

But my favorite was Mother Goose. I made my dad read those poems to make over and over and over again.

Edited by Kinsa

The Monster at the End of the Book, Hand Hand Finger Thumb, The Best Nest, and Oh Say Can You Say were my favorites as a kid. 

My DD loved Stellaluna, Goodnight Moon, Goodnight Goon, Interrupting Chicken, the Miss Spider books, and The Gruffalo.

• Like 1

Now that you mention it, I remember The Wednesday Witch!

When I was a kid I loved a book about a witch who rode on a vacuum cleaner. Can't remember the name of it, but I remember loving that story. ETA: Just googled it. It's called The Wednesday Witch.

And there was another book I loved called, "What Good Luck, What Bad Luck" where there character went through a series of events that seemed horrible but returned out lucky then turned out horrible again. Ex: What bad luck, my parachute didn't open. What good luck, I landed in the ocean. What bad luck, there were sharks in the ocean. What good luck, I knew how to swim. Etc.

But my favorite was Mother Goose. I made my dad read those poems to make over and over and over again.

• Like 1

I love when children's books get worn out. Children should have experience at a young age handling books, and that leads to torn pages, dented spines, embellished illustrations, and sometimes tape holding it all together. My kids destroyed some books when they were little, but they adore books now and have always owned and loved their books. :)

We love Winnie the Pooh. The humor is cracking me up.

"Hallo, Rabbit," he [Pooh] said, "is that you?"

"Let's pretend it isn't," said Rabbit, "and see what happens."

"I've got a message for you."

"I'll give it to him."

Sandra Boynton, lots of Dr. Suess books. I bought these with my first two, and we read and played with them till they fell apart and I gave away what was left, and then rebought them for my youngest. :) My 3 year old loves Fancy Nancy books. I think Nancy is her spirit animal. ;) She's always been really girly.

• Like 2

Our copy of "Moo, Bah, La, La, La" is completely worn out.  My favorite aunt gave it to me when my first child was born.  He loved it.  We read it over and over and he particularly loved saying the "NO, NO, NO!" in the middle of the book.

My aunt passed away around 3 years ago.  I miss her terribly.

That is one of my favorites to give to parents with new babies. It took me nearly a year to discover Sandra Boynton -- what a waste!

Moo Baa, LaLalA was one I would "Read' to my son while driving around because I had it memorized. He could look at the pages while I would recite for him.

Doggies was another favorite.

We also loved Hippos Go Berserk And Pajama Time is still our going to bed book sometimes

• Like 1

We really love so many books.

The Daisy books

Isa Trapani books

Jesse Bear books, particularly What Will You Wear

Going on a Bear Hunt

Who Took the Cookies from the Cookie Jar

The Grumpy Morning

Andrew Henry's Meadow

Dr. Seuss

The Gruffalo

Bear Wants More and others

Barnyard Dance

Mom a Will You

Brown Bear. Brown Bear

But No Elephants, mostly because it is a carryover from my own childhood

I could probably list dozens more if I were looking at my bookshelves.