Menu

Does anyone here have Addison's or adrenal insufficiency?

Spryte

I don't have Addisons but my Mom does. I don't know what you are looking for but I can tell you what things look like when her sodium tanks.

That would be very helpful.

I had a frightening incident today, but stress dosed and ate salt/took fluids and slowly improved over the next hour. Still feeling crummy but not frighteningly so.

If you wouldn't mind sharing her symptoms, that would be great.

I was doing a lot of lifting, and have worked physically that way for a few days (putting in a flagstone area). I was hydrated, didn't pull anything, but had this odd episode. I have other conditions besides Addison's, but I suspect it was the Addison's this time.

ETA: if you have suspicions re: what caused her episodes, that would be great, too. My Addison's has been so well managed - I really forget I have it. Oops.

Edited by Spryte

My Mom only started with this about ten years ago. She is in her seventies and not very active so her symptoms tend to come on slowly. Managing it has been really difficult for her so she has been hospitalized many times.

Looking back, the symptoms seem to start with confusion. The confusion is mild like losing track during a conversation or mild forgetfulness. At the same time, her coordination starts to go and she starts falling. If she lets that go, vomiting sets in. It's all hard to describe but, basically, all her body systems just start malfunctioning.

I can't tell you what the cause is because it comes on so slowly. It feels like a chicken/egg situation. Even though she is often dehydrated when she gets to the hospital, she has been moving fluids as though she is not. The Dr told her last time that her sodium dropped because she was drinking too much water and told her to cut back. That water leeches sodium from the bloodstream.

I don't know if that helps. Don't be afraid to see the dr. and get things checked. I know its a pain in the butt but its better than a few days in the hospital.

ETA: I didnt put this down as a symptom but the first episode she had, she started vomiting and thought she smelled gas. She called to report a gas leak and when the emergency responders came, they knew something was wrong with her. (There was not a gas leak.) They sent her to the ER which is what led to her diagnosis. She only did that (smelling gas) in the very beginning of her illness.

Edited by MaeFlowers
  • Like 1

MaeFlowers, thank you. That helps very much. Your mom sounds like she's handled it well - it's hard. I'm so glad the responders to the gas leak recognized something was wrong that first time! Oddly, I told the kids I smelled gas in the house yesterday afternoon, and checked the oven. No idea if there's a connection.

I'm going to call my doctor. It sounds similar enough to concern me. I think it might be that I was drinking a lot of water, but not keeping up the sodium. My doc sometimes has me add salt to my morning water, so I'm going to do that now. I did add salt yesterday, along with extra hydrocortisone, and that helped. But I still fell pretty rough.

Again, thanks. I'm sorry your mom is dealing with this, too.

Oh, one more question: has she mentioned any physical symptoms other than the vomiting? I had pain in my legs and stomach cramping. And an all over sense that something was very wrong. I had goosebumps (though it was not cold) and started shaking when I tried to walk. I had to just lie down for fear of falling. And nausea, of course. Does any of that sound familiar?

Edited by Spryte

I forgot about the shaking. She shakes terribly when she gets really low.

I didn't know about the other things so I asked her when I talked to her this morning. She said it sounds like her first episode and, "Get thee to a doctor."

It's no problem. It has been really hard on my Mom and I hate to see anyone else struggle with it. I hope you feel better today and that the doc can see you soon.

• Like 1

I forgot about the shaking. She shakes terribly when she gets really low.

I didn't know about the other things so I asked her when I talked to her this morning. She said it sounds like her first episode and, "Get thee to a doctor."

It's no problem. It has been really hard on my Mom and I hate to see anyone else struggle with it. I hope you feel better today and that the doc can see you soon.

Thanks, and please tell your mom that I hope she never has another episode.

I am weak today, but stress dosing and pushing salt and fluids is helpful. I will get in with the doc this week. It was frightening.