Menu

Disinfecting stoneware?

PeachyDoodle

I have two nice pieces of Pampered Chef stoneware that I've just discovered. They were packed up apparently during our move almost 10 years ago. They were wrapped in newspaper but stored in an open cardboard box. They appear to be in perfect condition, but I'd like to give them a thorough cleaning before I try to use them again. I know that I can't use soap on stoneware. Is there any way to disinfect these pieces?

I would pour really hot water in them, and let it cool off, and dump it out, and repeat, maybe 4 times.  Scrub with water and a clean, detergent free, curly scrubber after the first one.

Then I would cook something very greasy in them to seal them up again.  Maybe baked macaroni and cheese.

You can totally use soap on them. I've never understood the no soap thing, because PC also advertises that they are non-porous, so they won't absorb smells (and they don't). So in that case, why would they absorb soap? I wash mine with regular dish detergent every time I cook with them. Maybe it's because the oil makes them seasoned, but I've never had any problem with mine being seasoned in spite of washing--IME, the seasoning happens in the oven during cooking and doesn't wash away. And my cookie sheets were non-stick from the very first time I used them anyway. 

Soap them up, rinse them well, and enjoy them!

Edited by ILiveInFlipFlops
  • Like 2