Menu

Is rowing/crew a high school only sport?

Or are there junior independent teams? DS is learning now and there are a ton of high school teams in the area, but we are in NY and homeschoolers can't participate in school sports...

Our locally zoned school doesn't have a team. So I'm wondering if those kids go anywhere to row.

I know one high school aged girl at my church who is a rower.   I'm not sure if she participates through her high school or through an independent team, but it's not a huge sport here.   If you have a college in your area that has a rowing club/team, you could probably contact them and ask for a recommendation for a local club.

I think they go thru HRRA's junior programs..we aren't involved, but friends mentioned ot as a possibility back when our district cut middle school sports.

It is a college sport. Both Vassar and Marist train on.the Hudson.

It's generally a club or private school sport. Very few public schools offer rowing. Trinqueta's club has a homeschool team and a club at a local high school. That means they get some funding from the school but not as much as if they were a sponsored sport. They're on a par with the lacrosse and rugby teams. The reason this high school offers rowing is its location near the marina. The other high schools in our district don't have rowing clubs.

Today is National Learn to Row day so if you have any local clubs they probably have a special event today. We just got back from Trinqueta's.

Edited by chiguirre

I think they go thru HRRA's junior programs..we aren't involved, but friends mentioned ot as a possibility back when our district cut middle school sports.

It is a college sport. Both Vassar and Marist train on.the Hudson.

Yes but I was at the HRRA boathouse today and they were all local high school teams, at least 7 or 8. I'm going to have to talk to this coach if I can ever find parking.

Must vary a lot. I never heard of high school rowing teams growing up, but our local high school has one. It's shared with the next town's high school, though, so I'm not sure it's a 'regular' high school sport or if it would be more of a club thing? They row as TownA/TownB, not as one or the other. They have programs starting in middle school through the rec program.

The closest small city to me has a rowing team through the public high school, even though it's a fairly low-income city, not the place I'd normally think of to do crew. But there is a lovely large river that goes right through the city. They use the university's boathouse and share other equipment (as does an adult rowing club). I row in the summer with the club, and some of our coxswains are from the high school.

Edited by Matryoshka