Menu

Copyright question -- re mapwork for co-op class

happypamama

I am teaching a small co-op class for 7-9 year olds next year on US history (probably under 10 kids).  I personally own History Odyssey for that age, Early Modern and Modern, as well as the Notgrass America the Beautiful maps, and I could also consider buying the SOTW activity guides.  Actually, the group would buy the activity guides, and after I was finished with them, they'd go in our lending library for others to use.

My question is about the maps.  If I wanted to use a handful of the maps from either History Odyssey, Notgrass, or SOTW AG, would copyright allow that?  Or is that a no, since it's not just for my own children?  I wouldn't be using anywhere near all of the maps, just the US-specific ones.

If it's a no, where else might have free or really inexpensive maps of the US that would work for printing for mapwork, especially historic and/or close-ups of certain regions?  D-maps doesn't have many historic or close-ups.

Edited by happypamama

I know that our co-op uses SOTW and each student has to buy their own activity guide, as the teacher is not permitted to copy the maps for the students (even my son's class, which had only 6 students). Can the students buy their own copies? 

Alternately, does Uncle Josh's Outline Maps CD have the maps you need, and does it allow you to print as many copies as needed, or does it also restrict "for personal use only"? (I have the CD somewhere.....not sure where, and not sure the restrictions). 

Possible work-around would be to do a large print-out and assign the students to complete the map cooperatively as a group project during class time, but I don't know if that would still be a violation since it's still "for classroom use" not personal use, even though you'd only be printing one copy. 

Pandia Press says their ebook licenses are not for co-op use. Too bad. Some curricula (like Math Mammoth) the license is explicitly for all children you personally teach. IMO, fair use could let you do one map. But more than that and you're really not okay on the copyright front.

You can get the d-maps map you want and zoom into the image. That's another possibility to buying lots of copies of a program.

SOTW AG is pretty clear about no photocopying of any portion is allowed for co-ops. But they suggest you email them. I imagine they would be interested in knowing how many maps you want to use and if you charge students to join your co-op. It may be worth the email, even if the answer doesn't work for you.

Have you done an online search for "free printable maps" or just "printable maps?" You could also search for a "name of historical event printable map" and "historical period printable map" "name of country printable map" etc.. 

Here are some free US maps from the US Geological Survey: 

https://nationalmap.gov/small_scale/printable.html

University of Texas, Austin has an online map library: 

http://www.lib.utexas.edu/maps/index.html