Menu

Facebook question - copying pictures & text

Bambam

FB Question - Copying pictures and text   

25 members have voted

1. 1. Is it okay to just save someone else's FB picture and post it as if it were your own?

• No, not without asking first.
    • Yes, no need to ask or credit them.
    • Yes, if you credit them for the picture in your post.
    • Other, please explain.
  2. 2. Is it okay to just copy/paste someone's post and post it on your own FB feed as if you wrote it?

• No, you must ask first and then use quotes.
    • No, but you can share it. This can be a problem if the original post isn't set to complete open privacy (world)
    • Yes, no need to ask, just copy and paste and pretend it is your work.
    • Other, please explain

Is it okay to just save someone else's FB picture and then post it as your own? Do you need to ask first? Do you need to credit them as the photographer? This happens mostly when I post in closed groups where you cannot share the photo outside of the group and anyone actually see it unless they are a member of the group, but I've seen it also with personal posts.

Is it okay for someone to just copy and paste your text in a FB post and then post it as if it were their own without quotes or attribution? I'm not talking about the posts you see where someone explains an offer and ask people to share everywhere. I'm talking about your own original thoughts/words.

I'm not talking about the general please-share-with-everyone posts that are advertising a lecture or product or free offer. 

I've had both happen to me many times on FB. I find it amazing that people do this. I see them doing it to others too. Is this normal? Am I weird for thinking you should ask and then credit the original poster? Is this just normal in today's society? 

Edited for clarification:

The text shared was my personal words - not about my family but along the lines of let's think about this and conclusions from that. 

The pictures shared were personal pictures but they were not pictures of individuals - more things of interest.

No memes, no links to online offers, no pdfs. 

Edited by Bambam

If it's a meme, yes.  If it's a personally taken photograph, credit should be given at the very least.  However, if someone hit share instead of copy and paste, that's fine (since it shows where it's from).  Copying a status also depends on what it is.  I can see not giving credit if it's coming from a closed group (may not want people to know you are in that group for example), but asking for permission to repost first is polite.

• Like 2

Family photos, no you don't share.

General pics / memes or newspaper articles on your timeline are fine to share IMO.  It's how Facebook works.

In a closed group, never OK to save and share text or pics.

• Like 1

If it's a meme, yes.  If it's a personally taken photograph, credit should be given at the very least.  However, if someone hit share instead of copy and paste, that's fine (since it shows where it's from).  Copying a status also depends on what it is.  I can see not giving credit if it's coming from a closed group (may not want people to know you are in that group for example), but asking for permission to repost first is polite.

This exactly. I didn't know how to answer the poll because it's very not okay to copy someone's personal photos or information, but it's completely okay to copy someone's meme, even if it would be polite to h/t or credit it and ask permission.

I would never screenshot or copy someone's actual post with their name.  That is basically violating their privacy settings.  I do see other people do this, and yes I know nothing on the internet is really private, but still.  Yuck.

If it's just a photo, there have been a few times when I've copied and posted.  (Usually because it's my kid in the photo.)  I always give credit if I know whose photo it is.  There was one time where I did not know whom to credit, so I just said I don't know whose this is.  (It was a joke that had been re-posted by another person.)  But that was only shared by very selected friends of mine.

Where possible, I will click through to the source page and link from there.  That way the person's privacy settings are respected, and credit is given.

• Like 1

This exactly. I didn't know how to answer the poll because it's very not okay to copy someone's personal photos or information, but it's completely okay to copy someone's meme, even if it would be polite to h/t or credit it and ask permission.

yes, this. 

Personal photos (family photos, etc), not okay. Personal posts, not okay.  

scenery  or generic photo someone has taken themselves, *please* credit the photographer & preferably also ask permission (or hit Share rather than copy/paste). Pretty please. 

A meme that someone has posted, share/copy away. (give credit if they are the creator of it, yes, ideal, but I suppose in the world of memes, not required)

Word posts, ask first, and give credit (at least "from a friend" if the poster wants to remain anonymous). 

Also, if someone has their settings to public, maybe you don't have to ask permission as much (for certain things); if someone has "friends only" definitely ask permission for more than you would for others. It's just polite, and probably the reason for the copy/paste, since "sharing" from someone who has a friends only setting will still only let their friends see it......in that case, extra nice to ask them first, unless it's a meme. 

• Like 1

There have been times when I went on one private page to complain about what someone said on another private page.  In that case I do not identify who said what because that would be violating the privacy.

Example:  "On this other page I visit, someone said that people who like purple are idiots and child molesters.  They said only people who like green should be allowed to vote.  Can you believe it?  I told him ____."

I would never screenshot or copy someone's actual post with their name.  That is basically violating their privacy settings.  I do see other people do this, and yes I know nothing on the internet is really private, but still.  Yuck.

If it's just a photo, there have been a few times when I've copied and posted.  (Usually because it's my kid in the photo.)  I always give credit if I know whose photo it is.  There was one time where I did not know whom to credit, so I just said I don't know whose this is.  (It was a joke that had been re-posted by another person.)  But that was only shared by very selected friends of mine.

Where possible, I will click through to the source page and link from there.  That way the person's privacy settings are respected, and credit is given.

Oh, gosh. I didn't even think about the screenshots. Even when people black out the names and avatars, they're usually chosen to mock the conversation. That's icky.

Other, and no.

I've been known to "steal" my sister's pictures, but I know she'll see them, and she knows my page is locked down tighter than hers. She doesn't care.

Closed groups of semi-random to random people should almost never be shared.  I have mixed feelings when local groups share screenshots of people scamming them, but I have to admit that it IS a valuable community service and better than he said/she said drama.  I don't want to accidentally support "flipping" animals or ripping off grandmas.