Menu

Chicken Pox after the vaccine?

UncleEJ

Five of my six children got their chicken pox vaccines at the same time.  One of them ended up with chicken pox.  I was told that the vaccine had an 80 percent success rate.   My family proved the statistic.   ;)

The child who got the chicken pox had a very mild case and, strangely, it was only on one half of her body.   It was like someone drew a vertical line on her body and she was only infected on one side.   :confused1:

Edited by Junie
  • Like 2

Thanks for all the replies. I think DD has chicken pox. She received both doses of the vaccine. It seems to be mild so far, I noticed the first three spots the day before yesterday. Then about 6 more last night and 3 more today. She doesn't have a fever or feel bad at all. Hopefully that will be the worst of it.

I first thought it was some sort of bug bites but the way they are just popping up doesn't make sense. And they look just like chicken pox.

Five of my six children got their chicken pox vaccines at the same time.  One of them ended up with chicken pox.  I was told that the vaccine had an 80 percent success rate.   My family proved the statistic.   ;)

The child who got the chicken pox had a very mild case and, strangely, it was only on one half of her body.   It was like someone drew a vertical line on her body and she was only infected on one side.   :confused1:

That's a feature of the virus. You see it more often with shingles (same virus, different type of rash).

SaveSave

• Like 1

Four of my children had the chicken pox before the vaccine was out.  Only #5 was able to have the vaccine, and she still got the chicken pox a few years later.  It was very mild.  I had just brought her to nursery school and noticed a few suspicious mark, and I was talking to the teacher about it, another parent walked in who happened to be a doctor.  He took one quick look at her and diagnosed her on the spot.  Handy!

• Like 1

Mine were fine. But I have one niece who stubbornly did not develop titers. She had the series, then had a bad case of chicken pox after exposure in preschool, and everyone thought, okay she is immune now. Nope two years later, another exposure, and another case of pox.

Other than that, I do not know anyone rise who had a case after vaccination.