Menu

School bus question

BarbecueMom

A local incident involving a school bus had a surprising bit of info buried in the details. Apparently, some districts are putting kids 4 to a seat, as long as they can "fit", meaning their backs are against the seat and facing forward, even if they are squished or hanging half off the edge of the seat. I doubt seat sizes have changed much from my school days, but I never remember sitting more than 2 to a seat. 3 sometimes if you were being goofy with friends. I ride a school bus once a year for a local event and was surprised to see three names taped above the seats, but four seems crazy! Even for the really little kids!

Just curious if this is the norm everywhere.

My son's bus is three to a seat and all seats are taken.  And adult sized kids (like my son who is 6 feet) have to hang off the edge with their legs spilling into the aisle.  I know that school buses are build to contain the riders in a crash with high backed seats and so forth, but how can that work if you're essentially leaning against the edge of the seat with the majority of your body in the aisle?

3 to a seat for the big school bus was common for field trips for the lower elementary (K-2nd) here. 2 to a seat is the norm for the regular daily school bus trips.

3 kindergarteners to a seat for field trips was already quite squashed but understandable since it cost $80 per bus per trip when my oldest was in public school kindergarten.