Menu

Pros and cons of taking CC courses for HS credit?

I know of a few pros already of having my daughter take Chemistry at the local CC for high school credit (as opposed to dual enrollment), however, I'm coming up short with many cons.  This would not be her first classroom experience, as she went to a private school for 2 years for middle school, but it would be her first experience in a college classroom.

Would anyone mind sharing their thoughts, pros, cons or insight?

Thanks in advance.

I just posted this caveat on another thread, but I'll throw it in here. If you want your child to be able to apply to all universities as a normal freshman (and NOT as a transfer student) you will need to be cautious about the number of credits that you earn through community college classes. I think these "max numbers" vary by school, but at least one mom told me about there being a cutoff of 60 credit hours. If you take 59 credit hours or less, you can apply as a freshman, but 60+ credit hours would lead to you being automatically considered as a transfer student.

This was something I hadn't considered (and haven't researched enough yet because my oldest is just finishing up 9th grade and will be doing his first CC courses next year (Chemistry and Precalculus)), and sounded scary! Something to look into.

Audit, you mean? Here there is no way to take a class for high school credit on the college side, so this may not apply if your school has a third option. But here's what we've seen auditing vs taking classes on campus for credit.

The pro is that it is a way to get your feet wet in college without a record.

The big con, though, is that when my DD audited classes, she got no feedback on assignments. That kind of negates the benefit of getting your feet wet.

And, of course, there is no potentially transferable credit. If an audit costs the same as a for credit class, that makes it hard to justify if the student is going to have to take the class down the road anyway.

I know of a few pros already of having my daughter take Chemistry at the local CC for high school credit (as opposed to dual enrollment), however, I'm coming up short with many cons.  This would not be her first classroom experience, as she went to a private school for 2 years for middle school, but it would be her first experience in a college classroom.

Would anyone mind sharing their thoughts, pros, cons or insight?

Thanks in advance.

We opted to go with the AP route rather than the CC route.  We had a few reasons for choosing this path:

1. My kids are nationally ranked athletes and travel quite a bit during the school year.  Online AP classes offer the flexibility to travel and not miss class.

2. According to an admissions officer at our local CC, the college adcoms consider AP classes more rigorous than the CC classes. (This obviously will vary by region of the country)

3. At the time of our decision, CC classes were only available the last two years of high school and were not free.  (This is no longer the case)

4. Unlike high school grades, CC grades stay on the student's permanent record, so a bad grade in high school might negatively impact grad school applications.

Archived