Menu

Do you dress like a Mom?

meganrussell

This is kind of a weird question, I guess. And I'm sure everyone has their own definition of what a Mom dresses like! But I am curious as to your age and the type of clothes of you wear.

I just turned 32 in April, and I look young. I mean, YOUNG. My 14 year old daughter looks older than me! Plus, she's 5'5" and I'm 5'2". Anyway, I still shop in the Juniors/teen section of the most stores (JC Penney, Dillard's, Target, etc). Sometimes, I feel like I should start dressing "my age", whatever that means! Like, today, I'm wearing a pair of olive green Old Navy Chino shorts (3.5" inseam) and a maroon flowy top that was from the junior section of JC Penney and Birkenstocks. I could seriously pass as a teenager but I don't WANT to.

My mom was always stylish and beautiful, but she dressed like a MOM, kwim? We could have never shared a closet, like my daughter and I could (we don't, she's thinner than I am, but we could style-wise).

I guess I'm just wondering what's the norm, and what are you wearing today?

Edited by meganrussell

I don't think of terms as mom. I think more age. My mom wears casual pants or capris and patterned shirts. Both of my dd's call those shirts Nana shirts and equate them with old age. I wear only solid color tshirts and jeans most of the time. I did just buy a pair of shorts so I own one pair that fit. I honestly don't see anything wrong with junior clothes except they're cut differently than I fit in.

Well, I'm older (54) so I want to look like mom not a stereotypicsl grandma. No elastic jeans and feed company t-shirts with white sneakers thankyouverymuch. That is typical in my rural area. For at home I can easily share tops, pants and dresses with my 18 yo. I leave the crop tops and really short shorts for her. My go to grocery/ball game/library outfit us a flowy sundress, little sweater or jean jacket and sandals or flats. I hope I look current but not silly. My 13 yo is very sensitive to me dressing "too much like a kid." It's a small hang up to indulge her so I try very hard not to wear anything similar to her.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

• Like 4

According to my daughter I dress like a mom.  My uniform this time of year consists of capris, a solid color tank top, summer cardigan/blouse, comfortable sandals/loafers.  Sometimes I will shake things up and wear a print.

Wear what makes you happy.

• Like 3

Well, I'm older (54) so I want to look like mom not a stereotypicsl grandma. No elastic jeans and feed company t-shirts with white sneakers thankyouverymuch. That is typical in my rural area. For at home I can easily share tops, pants and dresses with my 18 yo. I leave the crop tops and really short shorts for her. My go to grocery/ball game/library outfit us a flowy sundress, little sweater or jean jacket and sandals or flats. I hope I look current but not silly. My 13 yo is very sensitive to me dressing "too much like a kid." It's a small hang up to indulge her so I try very hard not to wear anything similar to her.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Yes, I feel the same way! I don't want to dress too old, but I don't want to embarrass my kids by dressing too young. I love maxi skirts, and I've been wearing more of them lately, but I think it is time to hang up the short shorts? Maybe? (Not SHORT like butt cheeks hanging out, but above mid thigh. What do you think?)

• Like 1

I probably am better dressed now than early adulthood.  I'm better about pulling myself together and adding a piece of jewelry or scarf or something else to bring it together.  Sometimes my kids tell me I'm dressed like a "cool teenager" and sometimes they aren't crazy about a patterned something I'm wearing.  I am very selective about what I will buy / wear now - no scoop neck tops because I feel like I can't mom in them without showing too much ;) and nothing that doesn't flatter my shape even if it's "on trend".

I do, too but I always dressed trendy, and I guess I still do. I've always loved to dress up, but I'm just afraid it's time to move from Juniors to women's....

Don't be afraid to shop in the women's dept!  There will be trendy clothing there too....and I find women's clothes are often better quality. (Well, I guess that depends on where you are shopping) When I was your age I'd look in the junior's dept sometimes because I was so skinny. I found that the clothing was cheaper quality, and the rise in pants was just too low.

Many retailers do have things like shorts with a shorter inseam in women's sizes. You just need to branch out from your usual juniors dept and maybe try some other stores.

• Like 2

I probably am better dressed now than early adulthood. I'm better about pulling myself together and adding a piece of jewelry or scarf or something else to bring it together. Sometimes my kids tell me I'm dressed like a "cool teenager" and sometimes they aren't crazy about a patterned something I'm wearing. I am very selective about what I will buy / wear now - no scoop neck tops because I feel like I can't mom in them without showing too much ;) and nothing that doesn't flatter my shape even if it's "on trend".

Yes, no cleavage here either! No belly shirts or super tight clothes. However, skinny jeans, ripped jeans, shorts...these I'm thinking should be dropped. I just need opinions! I do dress to flatter my shape, and I never look tacky (IMO).

Don't be afraid to shop in the women's dept! There will be trendy clothing there too....and I find women's clothes are often better quality. (Well, I guess that depends on where you are shopping) When I was your age I'd look in the junior's dept sometimes because I was so skinny. I found that the clothing was cheaper quality, and the rise in pants was just too low.

Many retailers do have things like shorts with a shorter inseam in women's sizes. You just need to branch out from your usual juniors dept and maybe try some other stores.

I do need to expand to the women's! Thanks for this encouragement. I do find the Juniors clothing today to be tackier and cheaper looking than it used to be.

I do like Maurice's, which is for all ages.

• Like 2

I don't know what it means to dress like a mom. The mothers in my circle of friends dress in very different ways. I wear a lot of different things, depending on what I do, and what my mood is. 

I wear pants/skirts and tops, jeans and T-shirts, hiking pants and fleece sweaters, short outdoor dresses, long flowing skirts... no one style. I have no idea what is "trendy", and I don't give a fig. 

ETA: I am 48.

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 5

OK I had a non helpful conversation with dd who is 19 the other day. I forget exactly what prompted me to ask about my fashion, but she very bluntly responded "you look like you gave up."  and adding that when I was teaching math part time, which I quit doing a year ago "you looked like a middle aged teacher". 

I no longer look like a middle aged teacher. I now just look like I gave up. Yay me. Maybe I need a makeover. 

(understand that dd was not meaning to be rude or mean and is not normally rude or mean. )

• Like 3

Yes, I definitely dress like a Mom. I have not shopped teens section since ...in over 20 years. 

On that note though, I have never had much money, I grew up with little. And my career was always working with children. Even as a teen, I worked with children. So I never had the chance to dress like a teen. I remember being jealous of the teens and how they looked and dressed, but never could afford it. I got made fun of in junior high wearing handmedowns from ladies who were over 60. But it was all I had. So I guess I dress younger now than I did in my teens.

Edited by Janeway

I dress for comfort, always have, always will.  :p  That said, I pretty much dress the way I did in high school - jeans and t-shirts.

This is me as well, so I generally dress the same now as I did as a teen- jeans and tanks or t-shirts.  Today, it's knee length Khul "knicker length" shorts, graphic tee from target, and keen sandals. 

Things I think may be sort of typical of teens or young ladies that I would not wear:

belly-baring tops

super low cut tops

super short shorts.  I don't mind a shorter cut, but I look better in a longer cut since I carry any extra weight in my thighs.  But never a cut so short the pockets actually poke out below the hem.  

super tight jeans

low rise jeans.  I like them cut below the belly button, but some of the low-rise are so crazy low I couldn't get wedged into them if I tried.

very tight, short dresses

But I pretty much didn't wear any of those as a teen either.  It's not judgmental, it's just that I'm not comfortable in those styles.

• Like 2

Most of the mums round here wear active wear or leggings and shirts and stuff. I know one mum who can change clothes with her daughter and does. She is pretty trendy but it never looks wrong or embarrassing. I tend to dress slightly more formally I guess cause I'm just not comfortable getting out the house in activewear but I don't honestly give it too much thought. I tend to get something I like and wear it to death then move on to something else.

There is one thing I refuse to buy at this point though and I'm seeing them everywhere.  Ripped jeans.  Nope.  I am just a little floored at the idea of buying something that purposefully looks like it is falling apart.  I might be showing my age with this one because when I was a teen I thought they looked quite cool. 

(is the word "cool" outdated too?  LOL)

• Like 7

At 32, it's probably time to check out the women's department. But it will probably be a shift in thinking and you might not feel comfortable there. I mean, on the one hand there's nothing wrong with dressing from the junior's department, but if you're starting to feel that it is...then it's time to move on. But you might fumble around trying to figure out what to wear because the styles will be a little different.

I'd start with a mixture of trendy and classic looks. I'd google, "classic wardrobe" and see what's there. All that comes to mind at this moment is that a classic wardrobe always has a crisp white button-down shirt in it. But that's where I'd start: with some sort of classic pieces that are grownup, but in a way that says Katherine Hepburn and not Out-of-it-Granny.

I'd shoot for a few classic pieces *and* a few trendy pieces. I would be trying to go from "teenaged kid" to "adult woman." I would not shoot for a mom look. That sounds frumpy to me. You don't want frumpy.

I think a big part of it is in the accessories. Grown up looking jackets and shoes and jewelry can turn a look from being too young into being grown up.And I agree with others that the quality in the junior's department is inferior. They know the kids will be wearing the clothes for only one season, so it's not built to last.

Edited by Garga
  • Like 2

Last night, as we were all scrambling into the car, my daughter told me "Wow. You look like such a softball mom!"

Capri leggings, tunic (later covered by hoodie,) sneakers, sunglasses, messy top bun, multiple bags on each shoulder, lol.  That's pretty standard for me on an average day.  I just turned 40.

ETA:  I *am* a softball mom, if that matters!

Edited by Carrie12345
  • Like 3

I have a cold weather uniform (pants, fitted solid shirt, sweater, scarf, boots) that goes up or down in terms of fancy/casual; and a warm weather uniform (just-above-knee length skirt, fitted solid shirt, ballerina flats or sandals, loose jacket if needed) that goes up or down in fancy/casual.  And four dresses (2 sheath for warm weather, 2 3/4 sleeves for cold or cover-up required, both useable with the collection of cold-weather sweaters and warm-weather loose jackets) for benefits weddings High Holy Days and the rare fancy party we're invited to.  

That's all I wear, ever, except garden clothes and pajamas.  I hate to shop.  Actually I hate even to think about clothes.  I was very happy when I worked out the uniform system.

My daughters, different.  LOL.

ETA: 53.  My daughters are 22 and 14.

Edited by Pam in CT
  • Like 3

Things I think may be sort of typical of teens or young ladies that I would not wear:

belly-baring tops

super low cut tops

super short shorts. I don't mind a shorter cut, but I look better in a longer cut since I carry any extra weight in my thighs. But never a cut so short the pockets actually poke out below the hem.

super tight jeans

low rise jeans. I like them cut below the belly button, but some of the low-rise are so crazy low I couldn't get wedged into them if I tried.

very tight, short dresses

But I pretty much didn't wear any of those as a teen either. It's not judgmental, it's just that I'm not comfortable in those styles.

I do not wear any of this either, except shorts with a 3.5 inch inseam and skinny jeans, but not super tight.

• Like 1

I don't know, I think I dress nicely. I am a mom so I guess I dress like one.

I tend to be more drawn to classic type clothes than trendy clothes. I like to spend more money on one well made dress than three dresses that will look dated by next summer. You won't find me in a romper, that's for sure.

• Like 1

I do not wear any of this either, except shorts with a 3.5 inch inseam and skinny jeans, but not super tight.

Then I'll bet you're fine!  :-)  

I would only say to dress differently if you are tired of being mistaken for a younger woman.  I am short and for a long time was confused for younger than I am, but now that I've finally got a bit of gray hair, it no longer happens.  :-D  It never bothered me to be mistaken for too young, except possibly while pregnant with my first child and still getting used to how people stare at pregnant women.  

There is one thing I refuse to buy at this point though and I'm seeing them everywhere. Ripped jeans. Nope. I am just a little floored at the idea of buying something that purposefully looks like it is falling apart. I might be showing my age with this one because when I was a teen I thought they looked quite cool.

(is the word "cool" outdated too? LOL)

I saw a grandma (definitely into her seventies) wearing these the other day! It just looked sooooo wrong--I mean, why? They clearly weren't accidentally ripped, plus they were way too tight on her very much not-thin body....it was bad. I mean, I NOTICED, so it must have been bad! Lol

• Like 1

Idk. Where what you are comfortable in.

I'm 44 and live in athletic wear because it suits my lifestyle. I'd worry less about what other people think (this really does get easier after 40) and more about what you like. People will judge no matter what you do, so there's not much point in trying to please them, KWIM?

• Like 4

I have green hair, a couple of piercings, and wear whatever I like. That tends to be leggings or skirts, t-shirts, hoodies, and vans. I was a very conservative kid, and the fun of approaching 40 for me seems to be that I finally do whatever I want to do, and I could give 2 snits about what other people think. I have quirky homeschooled kids who, at this point, couldn't possibly care less what anyone thinks of my aesthetic. I'm actually not a fun extroverted person. I like blending in. But I guess at this point, I like being me more.

• Like 5

Idk. Where what you are comfortable in.

I'm 44 and live in athletic wear because it suits my lifestyle. I'd worry less about what other people think (this really does get easier after 40) and more about what you like. People will judge no matter what you do, so there's not much point in trying to please them, KWIM?

This is one great thing about getting older.  You don't give a f*** what people think about a lot of things. 

At least I don't.  Geesh I think about all the wasted time spent worrying about some stuff.

• Like 6

I like skinny jeans.

Nobody wants to see my belly (I don't want to see my belly).  So that's a no go.  Stuff that is off the shoulder is not comfortable and I feel like it'll fall off.  So nope. 

I do often wear low cut shirts, but I have no books so nobody can freak about cleavage.  I just hate stuff near my neck. 

I go for comfort mostly.

There is one thing I refuse to buy at this point though and I'm seeing them everywhere. Ripped jeans. Nope. I am just a little floored at the idea of buying something that purposefully looks like it is falling apart. I might be showing my age with this one because when I was a teen I thought they looked quite cool.

(is the word "cool" outdated too? LOL)

Last year, I bought my first pair of ripped jeans. My daughter was so stunned, because I've been so practical her whole life. It was a good lesson for us both. I like them. I look super cool! I tell myself.

• Like 2

I find this funny. My kids have always thanked me for not dressing like I was trying to be a teen. And my 24yo who is having her first any day now has been getting rid of several items because she said she does not think moms should wear them. She definitely has her own ideas. I am curious whay she will wear after the baby is here.

• Like 1

I just turned 32 in April, and I look young. I mean, YOUNG. My 14 year old daughter looks older than me!

This is hard to believe! Fashion aside, I'm sure you know this, but it's hard on daughters when their moms think they look like sisters - especially if they say that in front of people a lot.

At 32, I was still working and in a tech company where dress code is smart casual so people turn up in polo shirts and khaki pants or jeans. Some ladies turn up in flowing ankle length skirts or in A-line knee length skirts.

I am in my 40s and still wear polo shirts and jeans most days and can past off for someone coming out of the office from one of the tech companies near my house. Cisco, Intel, Google staff dress similarly. It is just common attire where I live.

My friend who is similar age to you gets mistaken as her husband's daughter. She still looks like a teenager unless she is in formal attire. When she is in formal attire for a wedding dinner, she looks mid 20s.

I'm 27. I dress like a mom most of the time. My favorite store is Talbots. I wear a lot of skirts and dresses. For summer, I have a flowy sleeveless blouse, a t-shirt with button details, a ruffled sleeve t-shirt, etc. My only shorts are tailored khaki and almost knee-length. My jeans are high waisted. I think I look cute, pretty and fashionable, but I don't dress like a teenager. Nevertheless, I was recently asked whether I was 18 when the police pulled me over.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, I am a mom so yes, I guess I dress like one. I wear what I've always worn - jeans and a t-shirt. I used to wear capris, but then lost a bunch of weight so now I wear shorts in the summer, but longer ones because weight loss is uneven and my top half volunteered before my bottom half.

I bought a few shirts at Loft and given the age of women complimenting me on my shirt... Well, part of me wants to stop wearing them because I can't be *that* old.

tbh, what I really want to wear is activewear, but I try to save that for when I'm actually doing something that calls for it.

• Like 4

Well, I am a mom so yes, I guess I dress like one. I wear what I've always worn - jeans and a t-shirt. 

:hurray: This is how I feel.  Does dress like a "mom" mean wear something I don't like, isn't my style, or I don't want to because of my role as a mother?  Then no.

• Like 2

I'm 34 and look 17 no matter what I'm wearing. Right now I'm wearing Target mid-rise jeans (with a belt, because my hips actually got smaller after 3 kids and I cannot keep pants on!) and a Gryffindor Quiddich t-shirt. Hair's in a ponytail (even though I just cut it). I'd quit getting teenager breakouts if I'd quit making crap like chocolate pie "just to clean out the fridge". I'm 5' tall until I start shrinking. I think I weigh less than high school too, but that's due to health issues.

I have yet to run into anyone from high school that didn't recognize me instantly. I have literally not changed appearance a bit in 16 years. Dick Clark syndrome or something.

I don't have any daughters, so no pressure to mom it up fashion-wise.

idk what moms dress like, lol. I wear either relaxed jeans or long full skirts, and tops range from solid men's tees to slightly cut sporty-type tees with a single graphic on it. Shoes are sandals or boots, depending on the weather. They're clothes; as long as they cover what I want covered, I don't stress. My preferences and aversions are more in the color department. Anyway, I ran the gamut from goth to raver to hippy in my adolescene, so I think it's time for boring. ;)

• Like 1

Did you watch the seriously underrated, very funny show Cougartown? In one episode one woman says to another woman, "you look nice in your rich old lady clothes." What she meant by that is not trendy, but classic, wel-made pieces of clothing.

"Rich Old lady clothes" is a funnier (to me) way of saying what you're saying with "mom clothes."

I do know what you are saying, OP, and I think people saying they don't know that there is a difference between how serious grown women dress and how teenagers tend to dress are not paying attention to how people usually dress.

That said, people are weird about aging and looking, or not, their age. And other people are very devil-may-care about clothes.

In summation, there is no right way for a mother to dress. But the sundry ways of dressing are absolutely categorizable.

OK I had a non helpful conversation with dd who is 19 the other day. I forget exactly what prompted me to ask about my fashion, but she very bluntly responded "you look like you gave up."  and adding that when I was teaching math part time, which I quit doing a year ago "you looked like a middle aged teacher". 

I no longer look like a middle aged teacher. I now just look like I gave up. Yay me. Maybe I need a makeover. 

(understand that dd was not meaning to be rude or mean and is not normally rude or mean. )

I'm having this problem right now. 

we have moved from a long-hair-and-long-skirts community to a much more progressive one. I'm 41 this month. I've always looked young, but not so much now. I'm quite overweight and i'm struggling with my identity. 

I just went through a shorts crisis. shorts are short now. My booty is large and round, but not so pert and cute as it once was. short shorts are not working for me. 

i did settle on some long shorts, which are comfy, but frankly feel like defeat. 

the yummy mummies are all wearing yoga pants and tanks. i feel like a grilled sausage in that ensemble. alas, i'm still wearing it. because i don't know what else to do. 

Edited by Desert Strawberry
  • Like 2

I am a mom and I wear clothes. Thus, my clothes are me dressing like a mom.

Seriously? Probably. I mostly wear comfy skirts with T-shirts and boots or jeans and blouses. Nothing too crazy. I'm not much of a fashion follower... though since grunge came back in style, I might inadvertently be one again briefly.

• Like 4

I live in the world of women who spend much time and money to look as young as possible and wear very high end athletic gear most of the summer. They also (as they do look good for their age) will dress in tight, revealing, young fashion. And the only people who seem to care and comment are their teen daughters. They do not like when their moms dress like teens. 

Having posted about this before, people thought the girls were being spoiled and ridiculous. But really, the girls do not want their mom to dress exactly like them and in the same clothes. Teens like to have their own looks, culture, and experiences without being infringed on by adults. And I think that is correct. Because when you see teens, they are young and effortlessly beautiful. When you see their moms in the same clothes, they do not project the same image, no matter how much they work out or have work done.

Shop in the womens department, buy higher quality clothes, try to look older and more sophisticated than your teen. 

• Like 2

for the op, i shop equally in juniors and ladies. the pieces -mostly active wear, but also cute, feminine dresses and tops- can be found on either side, depending on where the buyers think they should be. if both fits work for you, use both sides to meet your needs. 

as far as dressing "like a mom", no. I started dressing "older" when i started not wanting comments on my physique from strange men. if you are comfortable in what you are wearing, keep at it. if not, change it up a bit. 

at 32, i was still having babies. i was told when i joined a knitting group of older women that i looked like a pregnant teenager. they were confused that i seemed to have lived an awful lot of life for someone so young-military vet, lived over seas, college twice, 3 kids, travelled extensively, multiple careers, small businesses, etc. in their defense, i was wearing pigtails and striped knee socks. i was super cute, too  :lol:

• Like 2

I live in the world of women who spend much time and money to look as young as possible and wear very high end athletic gear most of the summer. They also (as they do look good for their age) will dress in tight, revealing, young fashion. And the only people who seem to care and comment are their teen daughters. They do not like when their moms dress like teens. 

Having posted about this before, people thought the girls were being spoiled and ridiculous. But really, the girls do not want their mom to dress exactly like them and in the same clothes. Teens like to have their own looks, culture, and experiences without being infringed on by adults. And I think that is correct. Because when you see teens, they are young and effortlessly beautiful. When you see their moms in the same clothes, they do not project the same image, no matter how much they work out or have work done.

Shop in the womens department, buy higher quality clothes, try to look older and more sophisticated than your teen. 

Also, give them something to look forward too, dang!

It's a world gone mad when grown ups are emulating children, pining for their lost youth, and not the other way around. This is a bigger issue than clothing choice (which, no matter how we slice it will ALWAYS have a shallow edge to it), but yeah. I feel so strongly about this.

Edited by OKBud

It's hard to find clothes in between Forever 21/Zara/Charlotte Russe/etc. teenybopper styles and Chico/Coldwater Creek/etc. "mature" styles. Especially if you're petite and wear a single-digit size. I don't want to dress like I'm 22 but I don't want to dress like I'm 62 either.

With being a SAHM/student, I can get away with jeans or yoga pants and a basic top but once I start my clinical practica, I will need an office-appropriate wardrobe. So not looking forward to having to shop for that...

• Like 6