Menu

Summer Supplement to help prepare/review for Algebra

My dd will be starting 9th grade next year.  She is currently finishing up Saxon 8/7 (after having done MM 7A).  She is really struggling.  Any suggestions as to what I can get (workbooks, etc) to help work with her this summer so that she is better prepared for Algebra next year?  We are probably going to do TT Algebra.  People may suggest Khan Academy but where do I start with that and I would generally prefer paper to computer.

How about working through Key to Algebra over the summer? It is paper-based and includes clear/straightforward instruction with a just-right amount of practice.

I would definitely not have her do more Saxon. She may be getting bogged down by the sheer volume of work or the incremental instruction.

• Like 1

I am considering using Aleks for a similar purpose, although you may not like it because it's computer instead of paper.  One reason it's attractive to me is that I think it will be more efficient than a text because it will give her "credit" for topics she does know and force her to work on the ones she doesn't. 

• Like 1

I am considering using Aleks for a similar purpose, although you may not like it because it's computer instead of paper.  One reason it's attractive to me is that I think it will be more efficient than a text because it will give her "credit" for topics she does know and force her to work on the ones she doesn't. 

Does your DD like the learning modules?  The reason I ask if that my DD had to use Aleks for CC placement tests during enrollment.  I signed her up for the free trial to give her a chance to familiarize herself with the system.  She thought the learning modules were gouge-your-eyes-out bad.  Obviously, this will vary from student to student, but it might be worth it for a prospective student to take a test drive, so to speak.

Does your DD like the learning modules?  The reason I ask if that my DD had to use Aleks for CC placement tests during enrollment.  I signed her up for the free trial to give her a chance to familiarize herself with the system.  She thought the learning modules were gouge-your-eyes-out bad.  Obviously, this will vary from student to student, but it might be worth it for a prospective student to take a test drive, so to speak.

We haven't started it yet.  By learning modules, do you mean the instruction?  My oldest used Aleks for a brief stint years ago, I just remember him working problems and clicking on explanations when needed, but maybe it's different now.  In your opinion, could the issue be remedied by sitting with my dd and being ready to give better explanations / instruction when needed?  (Though an inefficient use of my time, it still might be an efficient way of getting her caught up rather than trying to figure out where in the world she would place in some other scope/sequence....)  (My apologies to the op for sidetracking a bit!)

We haven't started it yet.  By learning modules, do you mean the instruction?  My oldest used Aleks for a brief stint years ago, I just remember him working problems and clicking on explanations when needed, but maybe it's different now.  In your opinion, could the issue be remedied by sitting with my dd and being ready to give better explanations / instruction when needed?  (Though an inefficient use of my time, it still might be an efficient way of getting her caught up rather than trying to figure out where in the world she would place in some other scope/sequence....)  (My apologies to the op for sidetracking a bit!)

Honestly, Lynn, I don't know.  When it comes to math, my kid is on her own at this point; she lapped me in 7th grade! :laugh:

You can sign up for a free trial that lasts for 48 hours.  If you already have an account, I would just sign up for a trial using a different email account.  You will have to select a topic area, so it is a bit limited, but it should give you an idea whether their approach will work for you and your student.  I'd just be sure to schedule it when you know you have time, because your access will be limited. 

I offered to buy a subscription for DD, in case she wanted to work on the modules from the placement where it showed she needed to make progress.  Her face was priceless.  in-disbelief-smiley-emoticon.gif  But she's also a little weird wrt to math, so YMMV.  I hope it works for you and your DD!

• Like 1

You are going to use that to prep for Algebra I?  Is this a pre algebra book then?

My kids are finishing up Derek Owens' Pre-algebra course. Algebra Survival Guide seems to cover a lot of the same material they learned with DO Pre-algebra. There are a few things that are possibly more advanced or go a little deeper than DO, so I'll have them skip those if the concepts are too difficult. ASG is set up in very short 1 page lessons, Q & A style so it would be easy to skip portions as needed. The tone in ASG is conversational and concepts are broken down to be very easy to understand, though, so I was hoping to not need to skip anything and use anything they haven't covered yet as a quick intro to concepts they'll see in more depth during Algebra 1.

These are the chapter headings in ASG:

What is algebra?

Properties

Sets of Numbers

Positive & Negative Numbers

Order of Operations & Like Terms

Absolute Value

Exponents

Radicals

Factoring

Cancelling

Equations

Coordinate Plane

World Problems

I'm not familiar with what's taught in Saxon 8/7 and I know scope and sequence can vary from program to program, so my apologies if this isn't a good fit.