Menu

Fun projects/art to go along with books for K-2?

I â¤ï¸Books. I love reading to my kids...but I am not artsy or crafty at all. If I have a manual like Artistic Pursuits I will get around to doing it but I am never going to see something on Pinterest and reliably do it. I'm doing MP Jr. K with DD and she loves doing her own book with questions to answer and then doing her own art that matches the book. I thought the hat collage for Curious George looked like something I could skip because it didn't seem that great but DD "reminded" me we hadn't done anything for her book, of course not knowing I hadn't intended to. A few weeks ago in Rainbow Resources newsletter they had a clay art project for Pinocchio that seemed great for DS since we are reading it. Is there any chance that there is some book out there I've missed that has great arty projects to go with books? I have BFIAR and FIAR but I'm not a big fan of them. Any chance I've missed something that would remind to do something fun with books? Thanks!

I am not sure but that would be a GREAT homeschool book for someone to write! An entire book of activities and crafts based on classic children's lit. Who wants to get started? ;)

I am also curious about this as I am trying to beef up my DDs lit selections for next year. I just found on curr click an awesome Wizard of Oz lit guide but mostly everything I see is one book based.

• Like 1

I love Kids' Art Works by Sandi Henry. It's out of print, but chances are you can order it from your public library. It doesn't tie in to kids literature, but it has great projects that generally rely on stuff you have around the house. The projects turn out very nicely, though they still look like kids did them.

I remember googling a lot for famous kids' books craft ideas. There were so many unit studies for Eric Carle, Dr. Seuss, Jan Brett, and other authors. Their websites often provided the ideas and even the printouts to go with them when needed to make say puppets or felt board people or coloring sheets and such. Its worth a try to just look up one for each book. Even for non particular things like books about lions, I would just google lion crafts and pick the one that seemed easiest to me. Like you, mine expected some kind of craft per book or unit. 

• Like 1

I agree that searching by individual picture book yields good results.

There is a book called Storybook Art by Mary Ann Kohl that has creative art projects to go along with picture books and might be what you're looking for.

I also have a book called "Games with Books" by Peggy Kaye (and gee, I feel like I am always recommending her books, but they happen to be the ones I am pulling off my shelf again and again as my preschooler begs to do "lessons"). It has creative activities that are very easy to implement, things like measuring your length with carrots or painting with carrots after reading The Carrot Seed. It is ideal for the non-crafty parent who wants a few easy activities to go along with picture books. But Kohl's book really is cool for trying out different artistic techniques and thinking about how illustrators work.

Edited by fralala
  • Like 1

Layers of Learning gives projects for just about every content subject you could think of. Most literature books include some content. Also Literature is listed as an art, and art projects are presented by genre. So when doing an individual fairy tale, the generic fairy tale craft might work. http://layers-of-learning.com/homeschool-curriculum-catalog/

Look for foods the characters are eating, and make that food.

Color a map of the country.

Google for paper dolls from the actual book or look for something generic.

Look for coloring pages. Dover sells coloring books for some literature books. And again, look for content in the book. You are likely to find a coloring page for a rose or tractor or a pig.

Toilet Roll puppets. Some are actually literature characters.

http://www.dltk-kids.com/type/tp_roll.htm

I would search individually by book or by author on Teachers Pay Teachers  and Pinterest - maybe with the search term "craftivity"  (which seems to be a popular term for that sort of thing on TPT).  You can narrow by free if you only want to search free items on TPT. 

Memorial press enrichment and book of crafts! Covers JrK to 2nd with a book a week.

I just came to recommend the same thing.  My daughter loved the Memoria Press Book of Crafts.

Suzanne

I am ordering the K Enrichment guide and Craft Book.  I know I could just google and find crafts.  Some days, I just need a book to tell me what to do. :)