Menu

What's with the ads?

Kinsa

I live in the land of "chemtrails".

Some, if not many, people get a lot of pleasure from feeling they're smarter, know things that other's do not, at least in a 'triggers dopamine and such' sort of way. It's pretty easy to feed into that. 

This is my brother. He has some sort of need to prove his intelligence... (I think he feels like he should have accomplished more, academically, and this is his way of retaining his self-esteem?)

One of the conspiracy theories he embraces is about 9/11. He got all excited when he heard my oldest was going to study aerospace engineering and has a knack for identifying many types of planes. He asked *my permission* to show ds some pictures and "get his perspective" (didn't share details). I thought *that* was weird. Of course I said that was up to ds: he should ask ds, not me. Well, he tells ds about this still photo he saw online that shows the tail of a plane disappearing behind the World Trade Center and then coming out again on the other side. He says to look at the tail and see if it is a different plane when it emerges. Before he could dig out that photo, ds just started laughing and laughed and laughed and laughed -- right in his face -- I've never seen anything like it. (My family doesn't interact like this. This was weird.) Yeah, bro acted all offended and got busy doing other stuff in another room.

*I* was offended and upset that my brother could believe this junk (something about the whole thing being a US government conspiracy). Ds was just amused. He clearly no longer has any respect for his uncle at all, though, which is sad. Justified, but sad.

• Like 7

Crazy runs to the bone! I have not met a chemtrail nutter, but I met my first real, live, honest-to-goodness flat earther a few months ago. HOLY MOLY! This right there may be an excellent reason to bring back state mental health hospitals because these people are in serious need of 24/7 supervision, and some fuzzy slippers.

There are a lot of conspiracy anti-science people around here. I really hope they don't hear about this one. They've got enough frazzled head without adding more to it. (Vaccines are a WHO conspiracy to cause mass infertility and shorten life spans. The gubmint has bugged every single home in America.) That last one I love...because there just aren't enough government employees around to listen to 300 million people's drama. They'd be nuts to be listening in here. They'd have to listen to crazy discussions of the differences between Akkadian and Cuneiform, and whether Seamus Heaney or Tolken did the best translation of Beowulf! Earth shattering intel right there. :glare:

Well they might be on to something. I spent over 3 hours on hold with the IRS last week. Maybe they didn't have anyone there to take a call because they were all indisposed bugging people's homes. :)

Ok, all joking aside this whole post has my jaw on the floor. I have never heard of any of these things. I feel so relieved that even though I run into all sorts of special kinds of crazy in Washington State I have yet to hear any of this.

Flat earthers? I mean...WHAT??? How can one believe that? I know people can convince themselves that alot of things are true even in the face of absolute proof but that one I just have no words. Wow....

• Like 5

Well they might be on to something. I spent over 3 hours on hold with the IRS last week. Maybe they didn't have anyone there to take a call because they were all indisposed bugging people's homes. :)

Ok, all joking aside this whole post has my jaw on the floor. I have never heard of any of these things. I feel so relieved that even though I run into all sorts of special kinds of crazy in Washington State I have yet to hear any of this.

Flat earthers? I mean...WHAT??? How can one believe that? I know people can convince themselves that alot of things are true even in the face of absolute proof but that one I just have no words. Wow....

I LOVE Flat Earthers.  I wish I could have that level of certainty about ANYTHING in life and not be bogged down by details or, you know, facts.  I mean, people have left the earth, turned around and looked at it, went "Yep, it's a ball" AND sent us photos AND video and they are STILL not swayed.  If that's not faith I don't know what is.

• Like 20

I LOVE Flat Earthers.  I wish I could have that level of certainty about ANYTHING in life and not be bogged down by details or, you know, facts.  I mean, people have left the earth, turned around and looked at it, went "Yep, it's a ball" AND sent us photos AND video and they are STILL not swayed.  If that's not faith I don't know what is.

I ran into a flat earther who actually used those pictures from outer space to "prove" to me that the earth was flat.  I honestly didn't know what to say.

• Like 4

Am I the only one that thought of Yertle the Turtle when looking at that photo?

I just hope Mack turtle doesn't belch anytime soon.

I thought of Q*bert. 😂

(Is my age showing?)

• Like 2

Am I the only one that thought of Yertle the Turtle when looking at that photo?

I just hope Mack turtle doesn't belch anytime soon.

If you want to have some fun, Google 'turtles all the way down', tons more amusing images, apocryphal stories, and at least one song!

• Like 2

It's especially odd when they claim all those photos and videos are "Photoshopped," regardless of whether the date published pre-dates PhotoShop. 

• Like 5

well, editing photos have been around as long as photos, and photoshopped has become the word for edited photos.  

The thing about the flat earth people that doesn't make sense, is that you don't need photos to know the earth isn't flat.  Just go someplace with excellent visibility and an unobstructed view.   You can actually See the curve.  

• Like 8

Guys, I'm writing a skit for my drama group and I needed a nutter to make a caricature of. I think I have all the material I need.

However, the trick will be in hoping that there are not nutters in the audience to offend.

• Like 6

well, editing photos have been around as long as photos, and photoshopped has become the word for edited photos.  

The thing about the flat earth people that doesn't make sense, is that you don't need photos to know the earth isn't flat.  Just go someplace with excellent visibility and an unobstructed view.   You can actually See the curve.  

Let me guess.  That's due to the gov'ts of the world getting oodles of folks with their bulldozers to create that false image of a curve.  I suppose the tricky part was doing that with the oceans... but then again, those gov't folks are incredibly smart and could figure out how to do it.  They're only dumb with everything else these folks diss about the gov't.  :laugh:

I still want to give them a compass - or the North Star - for guidance, get them walking east or west (with a boat when needed), and have them give me a buzz when they spot that ice wall.

• Like 5

Guys, I'm writing a skit for my drama group and I needed a nutter to make a caricature of. I think I have all the material I need.

However, the trick will be in hoping that there are not nutters in the audience to offend.

My mind is mulling whether I would care with that example... (Flat Earth)

• Like 4

Consider it a community service to out the nutters.

• Like 10

Let me guess. That's due to the gov'ts of the world getting oodles of folks with their bulldozers to create that false image of a curve. I suppose the tricky part was doing that with the oceans... but then again, those gov't folks are incredibly smart and could figure out how to do it. They're only dumb with everything else these folks diss about the gov't. [emoji23]

I still want to give them a compass - or the North Star - for guidance, get them walking east or west (with a boat when needed), and have them give me a buzz when they spot that ice wall.

Go north (or south) far enough and you will find snow and ice enough. It gets pretty cold, most people would turn back! (And if they don't turn back.... they fall off the edge and don't come back!

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

• Like 3

Go north (or south) far enough and you will find snow and ice enough. It gets pretty cold, most people would turn back! (And if they don't turn back.... they fall off the edge and don't come back!

But how about east and west?

• Like 5

After this thread started I ended up reading a book (actually two...the third one will be out next year) about an FBI agent  who grew up in a Prepper family and is now investigating a bunch of sovereign citizen types. Was just like the guy in the video posted! (books are Merciful Death and Merciful Truth, by Kendra Elliot - they are romantic suspense. No on screen sex in them, nothing horribly gory.)

• Like 3

This popped up on my FB feed today.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=q9NnPN6TM_g

How come Forbes keeps forgetting to out them at the top of the wealthiest people list? Buffet and Gates have mere chump change. Also, what does one imagine "we" should be doing, if this even made any sense? "Be vigilant." Oh, okay. That's super-useful advice.

Also, if any U.S. President might be a puppet to foreign powers, I doubt it's Obama. Just sayin'.

• Like 1

This is my brother. He has some sort of need to prove his intelligence... (I think he feels like he should have accomplished more, academically, and this is his way of retaining his self-esteem?)

One of the conspiracy theories he embraces is about 9/11. He got all excited when he heard my oldest was going to study aerospace engineering and has a knack for identifying many types of planes. He asked *my permission* to show ds some pictures and "get his perspective" (didn't share details). I thought *that* was weird. Of course I said that was up to ds: he should ask ds, not me. Well, he tells ds about this still photo he saw online that shows the tail of a plane disappearing behind the World Trade Center and then coming out again on the other side. He says to look at the tail and see if it is a different plane when it emerges. Before he could dig out that photo, ds just started laughing and laughed and laughed and laughed -- right in his face -- I've never seen anything like it. (My family doesn't interact like this. This was weird.) Yeah, bro acted all offended and got busy doing other stuff in another room.

*I* was offended and upset that my brother could believe this junk (something about the whole thing being a US government conspiracy). Ds was just amused. He clearly no longer has any respect for his uncle at all, though, which is sad. Justified, but sad.

my brother is the same way (and he's an engineer).

I found laughing hysterically :smilielol5:  when presented with something uber stupid is one of the best reactions - it shut down showing me anything else along those lines (an area in which I have significant expertise compared to his doesn't know anything but what his friend - who also knows nothing  - told him.  doesn't even get tohis ideas about HOW to breastfeed. :svengo: ) . . . of course, he just finds other areas of conspiracies to see how far back in my head I can roll my eyes. :toetap05:

• Like 3

But how about east and west?

Well, I'm not a flat earth believer... lol

So, East/West... hm.... it has been shown that without a compass, people have a tendency to walk in a circle when they think they are going straight. There is a phenomenom on a larger scale that also affects a compass, so that they end up doing a larger flat circle.....

• Like 3

Well, I'm not a flat earth believer... lol

So, East/West... hm.... it has been shown that without a compass, people have a tendency to walk in a circle when they think they are going straight. There is a phenomenom on a larger scale that also affects a compass, so that they end up doing a larger flat circle.....

This is why I'm insisting they use either a compass or the North Star.  I'd allow them a map too, but we all know those are fake if their beliefs are accurate.  I'd hope we could rely on the North Star, but maybe not?  Maybe that is also controlled by scientists who feel the need to fool us?  They spin the others, but keep that one still?

• Like 2

This is why I'm insisting they use either a compass or the North Star.  I'd allow them a map too, but we all know those are fake if their beliefs are accurate.  I'd hope we could rely on the North Star, but maybe not?  Maybe that is also controlled by scientists who feel the need to fool us?  They spin the others, but keep that one still?

I remember reading a discussion in which a flat-earther didn't believe the southern cross was a real constellation, no matter what anyone who had actually seen it told him or what photographic evidence he saw.

• Like 3

I remember reading a discussion in which a flat-earther didn't believe the southern cross was a real constellation, no matter what anyone who had actually seen it told him or what photographic evidence he saw.

Ok, so he can walk south.  He'll be thrilled that he finally reaches that ice wall, but... baby steps.  Or maybe he can go south until he can see the Southern Cross, then head east/west.  We'll have to make sure he misses Mt Kilimanjaro or he might seize upon it as his evidence, but that can be done. 

• Like 1

Ok, so he can walk south. He'll be thrilled that he finally reaches that ice wall, but... baby steps. Or maybe he can go south until he can see the Southern Cross, then head east/west. We'll have to make sure he misses Mt Kilimanjaro or he might seize upon it as his evidence, but that can be done.

Is he a good swimmer?

• Like 2

Is he a good swimmer?

Oh I've already said they're allowed boats while necessary.  I'm sure we'll have to watch latitude to avoid pesky little places like the Himalayas and similar.  I don't need to be called to check something "known."  I merely want to know when they find the end so I can check it out as one of my bucket list destinations.

I've watched (the animated version of) Sinbad.  I know the world is flat. :coolgleamA:   One of the characters wins a bet when they find out.  I just need to find out where that is.  I thought in the movie it was in the water...   :lol:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0165982/quotes  (5th quote down)

• Like 2

Flat earthers think that the reason you can travel around the globe and never reach the edge is the same as wandering around a town and not leaving it, only on a larger scale. So apparently, even though we think we are going straight, our path actually curves along the flat surface of the world, constantly leading us away from the walls at the edge.

And actually, that's kind of the principle of the theory that the universe is finite but has no edges. That space basically curves in on itself, so if you keep going in one direction, you just forever get to other parts of space. :) So maybe these flat earth people are on to something. Or, you know, probably not. ;)

• Like 2

Oh I've already said they're allowed boats while necessary. I'm sure we'll have to watch latitude to avoid pesky little places like the Himalayas and similar. I don't need to be called to check something "known." I merely want to know when they find the end so I can check it out as one of my bucket list destinations.

I've watched (the animated version of) Sinbad. I know the world is flat. :coolgleamA: One of the characters wins a bet when they find out. I just need to find out where that is. I thought in the movie it was in the water... :lol:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0165982/quotes (5th quote down)

Hey you know we could take the Dawn Treader and sail over the big wave with Reepicheep. Got any paintings of sailing ships?

BTW, seeing the southern cross was one of the first items of my bucket list to get checked. It's pretty neat.

• Like 5

Flat earthers think that the reason you can travel around the globe and never reach the edge is the same as wandering around a town and not leaving it, only on a larger scale. So apparently, even though we think we are going straight, our path actually curves along the flat surface of the world, constantly leading us away from the walls at the edge.

And actually, that's kind of the principle of the theory that the universe is finite but has no edges. That space basically curves in on itself, so if you keep going in one direction, you just forever get to other parts of space. :) So maybe these flat earth people are on to something. Or, you know, probably not. ;)

But that is so much BS. If you take a million people wandering around the town, some of them will actually wander away and go somewhere else. We know that because people leave towns and people get lost out of town.

I suppose they could say that accounts for all the "missing people."

• Like 6

BTW, seeing the southern cross was one of the first items of my bucket list to get checked. It's pretty neat.

It is pretty cool. 

• Like 2

My mind swims with the mental gymnastics they create!

• Like 3

But that is so much BS. If you take a million people wandering around the town, some of them will actually wander away and go somewhere else. We know that because people leave towns and people get lost out of town.

I suppose they could say that accounts for all the "missing people."

Yes, obviously those people were kidnapped by the government for learning the truth about chem trails and are now being held in Area 51 prison cells and being fed to our alien/lizardmen overlords who run the world's banks through the Illuminati. I mean... obviously.

• Like 13

Well, it's official. We live in crazy land. I thought the flat farther I met this winter was an anomaly. Nope. Eldest ds and his girlfriend were walking down the street of the largest town in our county - don't get excited because the population is about 6400. There was a group carrying signs predicting the apocalypse. Since ds simply cannot help himself when he sees things like this, he just had to ask. Flat earthers, a whole tiny church of them. And their main reason for believing? Because all the water from Noah's flood had to go somewhere and if the earth is flat, it could just run right off. They do believe people fall off the earth all the time, and the government covers it up. Oh,and the earth is held up by four pillars, there is still a firmament, the sun produces no heat, and it, the moon, and the stars are basically ceiling decorations for our benefit inside our divine biodome.

And they all homeschool, and they formed a church.

Ds, ever the card, told them he is ordained in The Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster which made them nervous enough to stop proselytizing and hurry along.

His girlfriend videotaped the encounter on her cell phone.

Sigh...

Beam me up Scotty!!!

Edited by FaithManor
  • Like 11

What is so weird is we get the Answers in Genesis publication in the mail, I have no idea how or why, but I will sometimes page through it between the door and the trashcan. In the last edition, there was a "round Earth" article with biblical citations. I was like, what they heck? Why is this even an article? 

Now I know!

• Like 7

Well, it's official. We live in crazy land. I thought the flat farther I might this winter was an anomaly. Nope. Eldest ds and his girlfriend were walking down the street of the largest town in our county - don't get excited because the populations is about 6400. There was a group carrying signs predicting the apocalypse. Since ds simply cannot help himself when he sees things like this, he just had to ask. Flat feathers, a whole tiny church of them. And their main reason for believing? Because all the water from Noah's good had to go somewhere and if the earth is flat, it could just run right off. They do believe people fall off the earth all the time, and the government covers it up. Oh,and the earth is held up by four pillars, there is still a firmament, the sun produces no heat, and it, the moon, and the stars are basically ceiling decorations for our benefit inside our divine biodome.

And they all homeschool, and they formed a church.

Ds, ever the card, told them he is ordained in The Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster which made them nervous enough to stop proselytizing and hurry along.

His girlfriend videotaped the encounter on her cell phone.

Sigh...

Beam me up Scotty!!!

We had a young man (early 30s?) come to our house yesterday for a gas company interaction.  They've replaced a pipeline that crosses one of our field, so we get paid for "loss of use" until it's restored.  We've been talking with this guy for over a year now, so we started with catching up on family, etc.  Part of that discussed my mom's cancer - esp since it affects our schedule so much this year.

Ok... wanna guess what he went on and on about causing so much cancer in today's day and age (vs 30 years ago)?

CHEMTRAILS!!!

Hubby and I didn't really know how to respond - this isn't a guy we want to alienate as he's our contact between the gas company and money... so we just listened politely with WTH thoughts (and this thread that I've shared parts of with my guys) running through our heads. He told us about "documentaries" with high level scientists, etc, and similar that we could watch all over the web - just google it!

Afterward middle son asked if I was going to add to the thread and I told him no - the thread was older so I'd let it die.

Then I get on here and see it still living...  :lol:

So if you ever wonder where these folks are employed... we found one.

It sounded like he had chemtrails and cloud seeding trials mixed together, but we opted not to delve in with questions.  I'm not even sure they still try cloud seeding (an attempt to alleviate drought).  Just googled.  Yes they do.  Is this what folks worried about chemtrails are concerned about?  Is it one and the same?  I haven't googled chemtrails and don't have time to do so this morning.

Edited by creekland
  • Like 5

If memory serves, the article I linked above stated that 5% of Americans believe in chemtrails. I don't know where the author came up with that statistic but if he is correct that is A Lot of people. Like, 16 million people.

Edited by maize
  • Like 4

Creek, this thread just might live a long, healthy life. Lol

Probably longer than those of us being doused by the chemtrails...

• Like 7

Woman who sent threats to Sandy Hook victim's father has been sentenced:

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_5939410ce4b0c5a35c9c97f8

Part of her sentence is a prohibition against accessing a list of conspiracy theory web sites.

She has multiple mental health diagnoses ; certain mental health problems absolutely make people more prone to believing some of this stuff, I personally believe that some of the folks promoting this bunk do so with the intent of drawing in people with such susceptibility.

• Like 7

Just an FYI for everyone.  Chemtrails make it impossible to fall asleep at night.  We were outside quite a bit yesterday doing various things and noted all the chemtrails in the sky while we were working.  Two of us had a very difficult time falling asleep.  Then today we heard from other people at church who said they too had trouble falling asleep.  Duh!  They were under the same sky.

So now you've heard it on the internet.  It MUST be true (cause and effect, that is - the rest is true).   :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

If you want a good night's sleep - hide from the skies.  

ps  Can't explain the multitude of other days when we've had no problem falling asleep even after working under the same skies.  Maybe they used a different chemical...  ;)

• Like 7

Woman who sent threats to Sandy Hook victim's father has been sentenced:

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_5939410ce4b0c5a35c9c97f8

Part of her sentence is a prohibition against accessing a list of conspiracy theory web sites.

She has multiple mental health diagnoses ; certain mental health problems absolutely make people more prone to believing some of this stuff, I personally believe that some of the folks promoting this bunk do so with the intent of drawing in people with such susceptibility.

Like Alex Jones.

• Like 6

This tweet is from a mom of a Sandy Hook victim.  Her daughter, Ana, died that day.  And she is harassed to this day by people insisting Sady Hook is a hoax.

https://twitter.com/Nelba_MG/status/874225139445006336

Original Tweet from 5/26:

Did ana really die?

Everyone knows Sandyhook is Sandyhoax.

Did you sell her into a Child-trafficking ring?

Nelba Marquez-Greene's response:

Because this is what it looks like when you shine light on #AlexJones - they don't go away. They double down @megynkelly . #SandyHook

It's disgusting how many people tweet her about how Sandy Hook is a hoax.

• Like 4

It's disgusting how many people tweet her about how Sandy Hook is a hoax.

I have to wonder if those sending tweets like that truly don't believe it or if they are the worst of trolls - purposely causing issues to get their jollies.  I like to think even those who are dumb enough to fall for things like that wouldn't take it up with the parents.  Trolls live in another dimension in their head - totally different from conspiracy believers.  I suppose there's probably overlap though and those could be the source of such garbage.

Regardless, this is why some beliefs I have no problem with and others make me bristle (to say it nicely).

• Like 3

Aaaand... it begins again. Today I see a video posted on Facebook where the Director of the CIA "admits" to chemtrails. And everyone who responded to the video (all local folks) are demanding that the government stop reading their minds and stop poisoning us, yadda yadda yadda.

There are some serious whackadoodles living out here.

• Like 1

First of all, I had heard of chem trails a long, long time ago probably because we used to listen to Art Bell on long car rides at night when we lived in New Mexico and in remote locations, am stations were the way to go. We didn't believe anything Art Bell said, we just thought he was good for laughs. I haven't heard about them in a long time so the revelation that 5% believe in them is a shock. I haven't actually met anyone who is a flat earther. When we lived in California in the later 90;s, we found a crazy group that was formed to prevent earthquakes which were caused by the climate and they wanted to manipulate the climate.

As to the youtube video of the Rothschild conspiracy, I did watch the whole thing in horror. It basically maligns every President, every federal employee, every military, every leader of every other country except the North Korean dictator and murderer of his own people. So he is held out as somehow good? And I see many dangers from videos like that including rise of anti-Jewishness.

I think there is more than just a lack of scientific knowledge that is the problem. I do think that is a big problem as dh and I were discussing death rates and education levels/intelligence. I remarked how so many people here in Alabama seemingly don't wear seatbelts because "they will be thrown clear" of the accident and I guess not seeing accidents and not paying attention to the news and not knowing anything about physics makes them believe that. My dh who is a physicist said that he thinks that non scientific thinking is going to be getting worse with cgi movies. All the people running away from explosions, jumping over chasms, etc, etc. I guess most people know it isn't true but some don't get it.

But the rise of conspiracy theories is all over the place and not in any one group. Fortunately for me, I haven't personally met the anti Holocaust, anti 9/11, anti Sandy Hook people. I go through days of looking at Facebook to days without it. I have seen anti vax posts by at least two of my friends. One of them may have posted something about chemtrails because she is always posting anti Monsanto, anti pesticide stuff along with anti pharma stuff but I don't click on those. So I can be friendly with non vaccers and I guess chem trail people (if I knew any) but I really couldn't remain friends with anybody who denies the Holocaust, 9/11, Sandy Hook, and probably some other kook ideas I don't know about even. Mainly because those ideas are very hurtful and very dangerous in my view in creating a very malevolent view of the government and slandering so many people.

• Like 5

I just don't get how people can think that world governments who for the most part can't manage a secret for very long at all, and are generally inefficient could possibly maintain such elaborate schemes for so many years without a single whistle blower opening his or her mouth. It isn't just a matter of science to fix illiteracy, it is also math incompetence, an inability to understand probability.

Wikileaks! You would think they could at least understand that Wikileaks would have had it by now.

But these are probably the people who think the stuff in The National Enquirer is real, and they do not want to be reasoned with. I am going to blame Men in Black. When Tommy Lee Jones tossed the tabloids onto the top of that Ford, government-issue car and said, "Best investigative journalism", he ruined a bunch of brains. Can we use Hollywood for this? :D

• Like 2