Menu

Audible books for kids

Acorn

Help me use credits for a long car trip. I'm looking for a sensitive 9 year old, an 11 year old plus adults ( one of whom appreciates juvenile fiction more than the other).

Youngest is academically advanced but won't read or watch anything that could be scary, violent or sad. She refuses Harry Potter, didn't like Lion, Witch and Wardrobe.

We have read/listened to all of Grace Lin, Laura Ingalls Wilder, Clementine series, Paddington Bear series, Cricket in Time Square, EB White.

So far I have Tuesdays in the Castle waiting, any other Audible suggestions?

I enjoyed Tuesdays in the Castle. That's a good choice.

Other options:

A Snicker of Magic

Small Steps The Year I Got Polio (I played this for a group of 8-11 year olds and they loved it.)

The Light Princess

Echo (We haven't listened to it yet but it is supposed to be good)

You could go with a classic like Light Princess, Five Children and It, Thirteen Clocks.

Cheaper by the Dozen

• Like 1

My extremely sensitive daughter and her older sister absolutely loved the  Knights' Tales Collection by Gerald Morris when we listened to it. The stories were very funny and we all laughed a lot while listening to them.

They (and I) also loved the Bunnicula Collection by James Howe. 

We listened to both collections a couple of years ago and they recently asked to give the Knights' Tales a second listen.

• Like 1