Menu

What's with the ads?

Sign in to follow this  
AlmiraGulch

A Math Problem....

Say you have a total of $1,000,000, which represents revenue.  

Now say you have two buckets of widgets, or revenue streams, that add up to that toal of $1,000,000.  

Bucket A represents 65% of the volume and Bucket B represents 35% of the volume.  So, theoretcally, you can easily figure out how much of the $1,000,000 is coming from each bucket, but the "widgets" in each of the two buckets are not equal.  So...

Let's say that the widgets in Bucket A provide 30% more value than the widgets in Bucket B.  

What's the formula for figuring out how much of the $1,000,000 should come from each of the Buckets, given that Bucket A  is 65% of the volume but represents 30% more value than Bucket B, which is only 35% of the volume?

• Like 1

This honestly seems like a situation that wouldn't come up often enough to have a specific formula formula.

let x be the value produced by the B widgets

the value produced by the A widgets will be x(1.3)(.65/.35) 

the 1.3 is because they are worth 30% more, the .65/.35 is because there are more of them

the two values must sum to a million.

solve for x (should be about 293k) to get B value as stated above, and then multiply by 1.3*.65/.35 to get the A value. 

to check for chucklehead mistakes, make sure that both numbers sum to a million. 

• Like 1

Oops! I should have said "equation," not "formula."  

And I also must be more tired than I thought, because I'm only following about 1/2 of what you said.  I should also say that I do this sort of calculation nearly every single day, but today it's as if it's completely foreign.  I think that's a perfect sign that I should go to sleep! :-)