Menu

If these crazy kids can't make it...

Moxie

I"m shocked!  shocked I tell you!. . . .

she should have spent longer in jail.  and I'm so disgusted hollywierd turned this into "a romance". . . .

totally understandable her ex-husband took their four children and moved to another state to get them away from her.

• Like 4

how many were already familiar with this case? 

this is a local case to me - and I'm old enough to have seen the local news reports when she was in court while pregnant the first time.   . . .  she utterly disgusts me - but (if you know the background) his own family isn't much better.

there was supposition one reason it came out was she couldn't pass the baby off as her husband's.

she has a SON the same age as vili!

I was young when it happened and I know all about it. I remember it being a headline on the nightly news when she was out on bond and got caught with him again.

• Like 2

This story has always made me scratch my head. She is so messed up. This doesn't surprise me as he made some odd comments during their Barbara Walters interview that made it sound like he had serious regret. This is a twisted abuse story and I am glad he is breaking free. I remember feeling so awful for the family she left behind. How confusing for them.

• Like 2

Yes, I remember this from the court case.

I think she did the guy a huge disservice by refusing to admit that what she did was wrong.  They should have tied her release date to admitting that their "relationship" was sick and the boy needed to move on.

• Like 2

I was in college during her trial. It was not local to me and I wasn't paying ANY attention to the news, and I knew about it. I think it was even spoofed on SNL.  It was a big story because of course, if the sexes had been reversed- if she had been a male teacher raping a 12 year old, of either sex- it would be a tragedy instead of a ....... whatever it was.

Best wishes to her victim-husband and of course to their kids. 

• Like 2

I remember when it was new news.  Seems they pop back up in the news every few years or so.  She is a disgusting, evil and/or sick person.   He may be no better, I don't know. But she was clearly the one in the wrong.  

Edited by marbel

I'm shocked they lasted as long as they did. I have to wonder if he can even form any healthy romantic relationships after all this. He was so young when their "relationship" started

And she is just twisted. I can't imagine how the children from her first marriage must feel about her. Bad enough when one parent cheats on the other and leaves, but to do so with a child, then have to go to prison for it, throwing the entire family in the media spotlight. What a horrible, selfish, abusive woman.

• Like 1

I remember when it was new news.  Seems they pop back up in the news every few years or so.  She is a disgusting, evil and/or sick person.   He may be no better, I don't know. But she was clearly the one in the wrong.  

he was always her victim. his family didn't get him help, and blamed HIM when they were caught in her car right after she got out on bail.  hello?  he was 13 freaking years old!  his family pushed him to marry his rapist.

• Like 4

Sometimes these things "work out" and you the kid becomes very successful

http://www.mercurynews.com/2017/05/01/a-teen-and-his-teacher-emmanuel-macrons-unusual-marriage/

I don't care how well it works out for some. It was still wrong, although I think 16 is very different from 12. I bet Macron has issues he doesn't discuss even if he's happy with how things have worked out. 

• Like 4

I don't really get that statement. How can a child victim of a pedophile be disgusting, evil and/or sick?

• Like 1

I don't really get that statement. How can a child victim of a pedophile be disgusting, evil and/or sick?

I don't know anything about him as an adult.  I didn't say he wasn't a victim as a child.  Of course he was!  

Edited by marbel
  • Like 2

http://www.mercurynews.com/2017/05/01/a-teen-and-his-teacher-emmanuel-macrons-unusual-marriage/

I'm glad you mentioned this, because that's what I thought of as well.

Yes, there is a difference between a 16 year old and a 13 year old (I read somewhere else that Macron was 17), and it seems Macron doggedly pursued his former teacher. Both she and his parents tried to put distance between themselves, but he came back. And she left her husband and kids for him!

It's unpalatable to me, personally, but the LeTorneau thing is repulsive. Idk why it seems worse aside from the age difference between the boys. Maybe Macron seemed more savvy? Does that excuse it? 

Ew. Just, ew.

I don't know anything about him as an adult.  I didn't say he wasn't a victim as a child.  Of course he was!    

I guess I'm having a hard time separating the 2. Especially because I've never heard of him doing anything evil. If he was now accused of commiting a crime against someone, I could see the debate. But he's someone who was horribly abused and is now breaking free from his abuser. I have no reason to think he's evil or disgusting.

It just struck me as an odd sentence to interject into the conversation. 

• Like 1

I remember it.  I was pregnant with oldest at the time. 

I don't have any sympathy for her or Macron's wife.  Sorry.  Weren't they both adults in relationships with minors and married with children? We have laws on the books for a reason and we should apply the law the same whether the offending adult is a male or female. If a woman leaves her family for someone else it's just the same as a man leaving his family for someone else. If there's a reason to end a marriage then end it first and hook up with another legal adult after. Sheesh.

• Like 1

I read elsewhere that they are separating for business reasons--he wants to be licensed to sell marijuana and her felony conviction could interfere with that. 

Ok, that made me laugh out loud.  Really?????

I am not even against medical marijuana, but for some reason that just struck me as funny.

I was disturbed by a couple of shows recently that I have watched, where teen high school boys were having sex with their teachers and it wasn't considered wrong.

Bates Motel

and

Riverdale

I am sure there are others, those are just the two I have seen.

he's led a pretty messed up life.  hasn't managed to hold a job for the duration.  did rehab, he hasn't had a healthy ilfe.

I was disturbed by a couple of shows recently that I have watched, where teen high school boys were having sex with their teachers and it wasn't considered wrong.

Bates Motel

and

Riverdale

that all started with mkl - hollywood took their story and ran with it about how "romantic" it was.   now, it seems every month - if not every week - there is some story about a female teacher having s3x with a student.

double standards galore. no one would be making a "romantic" movie about a 34 yo male teaching knocking up his 12 yo female student . . .

• Like 1

Ariel and Will Durant.  She was 15 to his 28.  I just finished reading a biography of David Thompson.  He was 29 and his wife was 13. 

Are these examples still icky even though they took place in another time? 

he's led a pretty messed up life. hasn't managed to hold a job for the duration. did rehab, he hasn't had a healthy ilfe.

that all started with mkl - hollywood took their story and ran with it about how "romantic" it was. now, it seems every month - if not every week - there is some story about a female teacher having s3x with a student.

double standards galore. no one would be making a "romantic" movie about a 34 yo male teaching knocking up his 12 yo female student . . .

I started to say that I remembered that storyline from Dawson's Creek years ago, but I thought the student was supposed to be 17. Then I googled it. He was a 15-year-old freshman. I found this article http://articles.chicagotribune.com/1998-02-10/features/9802100224_1_pacey-english-teacher-teacher-and-student. I don't think it's nearly as shocking of a storyline on shows anymore, unfortunately.

She is one sick pup!

We had a high school teacher here that did this with middle school and early high school aged male students about nine years ago. Multiple victims, female perp was married with two children and had been teaching for almost a decade. She is out of prison now for good behavior, and the boys all graduated and live locally. Everyone knows them. Unfortunate for them. But that is what it is like living in a sparsely populated, rural area. They haven't done well as young adults. Not one of them as been stable. So very, very sad.

• Like 1

Celine Dion meet her husband when she was 12 and he was 38. Wikipedia said they didn't start a relationship till she was 19, and he was 45. They had, according to all accounts a successful relationship. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Celine_Dion#Personal_life

No one is talking about the age gap.  We're talking about an adult having sex with a minor, and not the kind of relationship where the teen couple is 17 and 19 and started dating when both were in high school.  Age gap allowances are, I believe, allowed and considered in statutory rape cases when daddy prosecuted because he's upset boyfriend deflowered his baby girl with her consent on prom night.

• Like 2

No one is talking about the age gap.  We're talking about an adult having sex with a minor, and not the kind of relationship where the teen couple is 17 and 19 and started dating when both were in high school.  Age gap allowances are, I believe, allowed and considered in statutory rape cases when daddy prosecuted because he's upset boyfriend deflowered his baby girl with her consent on prom night.

Agreed.

Teacher on student, authority figure on teen, that's a big power differential, and that power differential is what matters a LOT to the psyche of the vulnerable one.

Same as clergy/spiritual adviser on church member/client, psychiatrist on patient, prison guard on inmate. Consent doesn't mean anything when ability to give consent is diminshed by severe power imbalance.

• Like 4

Celine Dion meet her husband when she was 12 and he was 38. Wikipedia said they didn't start a relationship till she was 19, and he was 45. They had, according to all accounts a successful relationship. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Celine_Dion#Personal_life

so - celine was a legal ADULT, not a TWEEN.

goldie hawn was married with kids when she met kurt russell when he was a teenager - but she went away until he was AN ADULT.

this is a case of a 12yo TWEEN (re: not even a *teenager*) with a 34 year old married woman who had four kids.  including a son the same age as her *victim*.

can you see the difference?

I started to say that I remembered that storyline from Dawson's Creek years ago, but I thought the student was supposed to be 17. Then I googled it. He was a 15-year-old freshman. I found this article http://articles.chicagotribune.com/1998-02-10/features/9802100224_1_pacey-english-teacher-teacher-and-student. I don't think it's nearly as shocking of a storyline on shows anymore, unfortunately.

the number of grown men who think they'd have loved to get it on with their teacher .. . they dont' understand how it messes with those student's heads, and they usually don't have a successful life without help.

Both stories are equally weird to me.

I have watched that Diane Sawyer interview with them both where people speculated that Vili was not happy about being in a relationship with her. She is a predator, he stayed with her probably because to leave would be hard for a victim (Stockholm Syndrome). But, I am surprised that it lasted this long. There are a lot of jokes on Facebook that he grew too old for her!

she should have spent longer in jail.  and I'm so disgusted hollywierd turned this into "a romance". . . .

It is ridiculously difficult to get a jury to convict in cases of pedophilia with an adult woman and a boy around puberty or older.  When a girl is molested, people see a victim, even if she stands up and says that it is true love.  When it's a boy, they say, "Lucky him."  The prosecutor winds up having to argue the case, not only for the facts, evidence, and law, but also to convince the jurors of the permanent damage this type of relationship does to the victims.  Otherwise, they are very likely to wind up with what my dh calls a 'jury pardon'--when the facts of the case and the law are completely undeniable, but they find not guilty because they personally don't think the crime merits the legal punishment.  (This is really common in, for example, marijuana drug cases.)

• Like 1

Bates Motel

and

Riverdale

Pretty Little Liars, teen girl, male teacher.  It was written with the taboo, but they morphed it into acceptable, with the rare "insult" tossed in here and there.

It is ridiculously difficult to get a jury to convict in cases of pedophilia with an adult woman and a boy around puberty or older.  When a girl is molested, people see a victim, even if she stands up and says that it is true love.  When it's a boy, they say, "Lucky him."  The prosecutor winds up having to argue the case, not only for the facts, evidence, and law, but also to convince the jurors of the permanent damage this type of relationship does to the victims.  Otherwise, they are very likely to wind up with what my dh calls a 'jury pardon'--when the facts of the case and the law are completely undeniable, but they find not guilty because they personally don't think the crime merits the legal punishment.  (This is really common in, for example, marijuana drug cases.)

I know.  after the first time - she had a short sentence.  people were saying she got off easy because she was pretty.  (and female . . .)  but the 2nd time, she got seven years.

and I have heard men arguing that it doesn't do damage to teenage boys because they think it's a "conquest" that they can hang on their wall . . . thunk.  so frustrating with that type of attitude.

the worst were his family.  they blamed him for getting caught the 2nd time.  he was 13.  but from what came out of his family background - it wasn't healthy even if she hadn't come along.

eta: one of the things I've found disturbing about the pic and the interviews with them now - she comes across like she's a little girl.  her expressions, etc.  it's just really weird.  she looked more like an adult when she was 34.

Edited by gardenmom5