Menu

SAT Subject tests - how long do they take?

My ds is taking his first SAT Subject test at a local high school.

It says to arrive by 7:45am. And testing begins around 8:30-9. If he is taking only ONE subject test, what time should I be there to pick him up? It specifies pretty clearly no cell phones, so I'd rather not send him with one at all.

Advice?

How long does the instruction period/admin bubbling usually take? And how long is each subject timed test?

Thanks!

The students who take one subject test is usually out at around 10 to 10:15am for the high schools my kids took the general SAT at. However the high schools my kids took at close the entire campus during testing with only one exit. So it was easy to just tell my kids to wait just outside that guarded exit.

Many parents wait in the car in the parking lot so kids just go look for their parents car.

Where my younger son took the SAT, they let out the students who took the SAT subject tests one classroom at a time so you see batch of kids coming out. Once the kids are outside the gated area, they could use their cellphones to call their parents/siblings for pickup.

My dd took her first subject test a few weeks ago and was done much earlier than expected.  There were only a few students taking subject tests and they started earlier.  I can't remember exactly what time she was done, but we thought she'd be done later than she was.  

I copied this from the "SAT Test Day Checklist" email we received from the College Board before DS's (one) subject test in May.   From what I remember, the ending times were fairly accurate.

Timing

black_checkbox.gif Arrive at the test center by 7:45 a.m.

black_checkbox.gif The SAT® with Essay ends between 12:50 and 1:20 p.m.

black_checkbox.gif The SAT without Essay ends between noon and 12:30 p.m.

black_checkbox.gif SAT Subject Testsâ„¢ end around 9:45 a.m., 11:15 a.m., or 12:30 p.m., depending on whether you're taking one, two, or three tests.

Edited by SebastianCat

I went yesterday to the high school so the career counselor could give us a little tour, so my ds isn't so unfamiliar with the location on testing day. we did this for the APs, but this is yet another new local high school location. good thing. it's complicated - they all go to a courtyard where lists of names with assigned room #s will be - and then you go find your room #. happy we went - i think my ds feels much better prepared. and he can bring a phone, just kept off, so he can call when he's done and i don't have to try to time it just right. :-)

last test - and done for summer! woo-hoooooo!!!!