Menu

The Continuing Education Teachers Lounge 5-30-2017

scrapbookbuzz

Good morning, all! Welcome to the Lounge!

I have some hard-boiled eggs and homemade beef sausage patties, if you're hungry.

I'll be whipping up some gluten-free double chocolate muffins here in a bit. 

As always, coffee and tea are available.

Today's theme comes to you from the fact that I am constantly reading and learning. And within the past few years, it seems

I'm constantly switching educational goals. Well, maybe it's not constantly, but it feels like it! A couple years back I had to take a sabbatical

from studying for my Masters Degree due to medical reasons, then financial. Haven't really recovered from the financial setbacks. Then in January I set out to earn a certification in a different field (because I found an amazing tuition-free school and yes, it's legit). Did that for a bit but now thinking of heading in a totally different direction. There are reasons I chose each field, and reasons I had to switch - not just my ADD brain. Anyway . . .

Anyone else go back to school/thinking about it, and undecided in direction? Here: yes, yes, and not exactly undecided, just don't know which of the three to focus on, but I'm getting there!  :willy_nilly:

If you went back to school, would you or did you choose all online, all brick and mortar, or combo? Here: the previous two were online, as the next one might be. However, while the texts are also online, I prefer hard copy so I look for the cheapest way to obtain those. (Where's the reading or book emoji when you need one?)

What fields of study interest you and why? Here: started out with a Law Enforcement degree (I do have that one). The one I'm on sabbatical from is a Masters in a similar field. The next course of study was herbalism. I've done a lot of study there already but something just hasn't been working for me in that area. And now I'm looking at a completely different area - possibly Ministry, but haven't yet decided/confirmed.

If I had my druthers, I'd just move to a remote area where no one could find me, unless I wanted them to, and just read my books! And I'm really not an introvert! Maybe this city living has done me in . . .  :tongue_smilie:

Talk to me! :bigear: 

• Like 2

I have done some online and brick/mortar towards my master's degree. I do not know if I will ever finish it though due to needing to work to pay for the kids' college so they do not need to take on huge debt. If I were to finish it, it would be a master's in musicology. (combined emphasis in history and theory, without much composition which the normal master's of music theory has)

I am also interested in comparative world religion studies. Sadly, neither of these master's is particularly practical so not worth the money to complete when that could go to helping the kids.

We would like to retire out of the country at some point as well, so saving the cost of the degree would be wise. Still....I long to finish it. Wishful thinking I guess.

• Like 1

I am back at school slowly taking a course or two per semester.  I mostly go to brick-and-mortar school.  I've tried online classes but I didn't like it.  I might try another class in the future because it could very well have been the instructor who was bad.

I'm not exactly undecided, but I'm also not going for a career.  My goal is to get a degree.  I'll start with finishing my AA and then move on from there.  I'll probably be 60 before I'm finished :) 

• Like 1

I would enjoy going to a college class in person. I'm not even a little impressed with most of the online offerings.

Not sure what I would study though. Not languages bc I suck at them. Btdt. 😞

I find nearly everything interesting so those aptitude and talent evaluation things are never any good. They always say crazy combos like I'd make a great teacher or mortician or psychologist. (Actual result from one at the CC many years ago. lol)

• Like 1

I would like to teach ESL when my kids are done homeschooling, but not sure I could actually make money doing that or what the necessary credentials are. My youngest is only 10, so a long ways away still.

I need some practical education to update my computer skills before anything else.

I prefer live class and real books, but online is probably much less expensive and much more convenient. Live online would be worlds better fir me than recorded online. Extrovert here.

I have two degrees in religion/theology, but thay aren't good for much!

• Like 1

Back to school: Nope.  If I ever had to work, I'd do the nursing refresher and reactivate my license, but I hope I never have to do that.

If I went back: Probably on-line.  I don't do well sitting in a classroom.  Let's just say I'd need a fidget spinner.  Of course boredom in the classroom worked to my advantage in Microbiology.  The teacher sat there reading the textbook out loud in a monotone and I absolutely cannot focus on things being read out loud even in the most entertaining tone of voice.  So I spent the classes reading the text and mostly focusing on the captions for the pictures.  Our first test came along and I aced it.  99% of the questions came from the captions in the textbook!  Many in the class failed.  I told them where the questions came from and so everyone studied the captions from then on and everyone did well on all future tests.  That was probably the biggest waste of time class my entire time in college.

Fields of study: Medicine, history, political science.

I have never participated over here because I don't really know how these threads work.. But I can't resist today's topic.

I'm desperate for more education. I have no need for it, just a passion. I'd adore the opportunity to get a master's degree in theoretical physics (I have a program in mind, but it's not exactly in the country I live in so...). I also study languages and really would like to brush up on my math (undergrad degree is getting rusty) and read/analyse a bunch of Great Books. But where does a homeschooling mother of 5 find time for this? And how do I prioritize the limited time I have each day?

I wish we had an accountability thread for self education.. (we don't have one do we?) <sigh>

• Like 1

Glad to see you, CadenceSophia! Thanks for joining us!

The Teachers Lounge is for adults only (mostly the homeschool teachers) - a place for us to come hang out and chat.

We talk about pretty much everything. I'll open the lounge with a greeting and usually three questions to start the conversation.Then,

various people (many have become regulars) pop in to chime in if they so choose. 

As for "finding time", not possible. You have to be willing to "make" (set aside) the time. I like the idea of an accountability thread for 

self-education!

• Like 1

I have never participated over here because I don't really know how these threads work.. But I can't resist today's topic.

I'm desperate for more education. I have no need for it, just a passion. I'd adore the opportunity to get a master's degree in theoretical physics (I have a program in mind, but it's not exactly in the country I live in so...). I also study languages and really would like to brush up on my math (undergrad degree is getting rusty) and read/analyse a bunch of Great Books. But where does a homeschooling mother of 5 find time for this? And how do I prioritize the limited time I have each day?

I wish we had an accountability thread for self education.. (we don't have one do we?) <sigh>

Candence, there is a self-education board under the High School Board heading.

Maybe if you start threads there, people will chime in.

• Like 3

I'm really late checking in today. Continuing Education has been in the form of sports for me the last couple decades. I trained Taekwon-Do for 13 years (both before and after having 4 babies) and earned my 3rd degree black belt before retiring in and moving onto a new sport. I did love the mind and body education of this martial art. There was a LOT of theory to learn and we had written tests for each black belt level.  Running marathons came next for about 2 years, before I discovered my passion for tennis. I've been playing seriously for 4 years - as in I compete in doubles and singles leagues in the city, as well as play a lot of recreational tennis with family and friends. It is so much fun, and I figure I have a couple decades to keep working on my game.

Since my Bachelor and Master's degrees were both in Human Kinetics, I see this time and energy spent as legitimate continuing education. ;)  It's also an awesome way to stay healthy and sane with 4 busy kids.  :laugh:

As far as other learning, I've really expanded my music capacity within the last 7 years to be able to lead music ministry for our church's masses on an occasional basis. This has been a "labour of love" for me, as I've always loved singing and earned my Royal Conservatory of Music grade 8 in piano, but never did any ensemble or performance playing. I sang in the University classical choir, and other choirs, but never sang solo in my life until about 3 years ago. I'm really amazed at how far I've come, and I thank the Holy Spirit for providing me the strength and confidence to do this, along with all the wonderful musicians I've worked with and learned from over the last 7 years. 

The family ate junk food. French fries and fried clams done in the oven for ease, LOL.

Still thinking about that world religions degree. I need to stop dreaming...three kids in college at once 2018...plant feet on ground, focus Faith, focus!

Maybe you could start here (it's free): 

http://www.free-ed.net/free-ed/Navigation/Level01/Level02/02_08%20Social%20Studies/Level03/03_081101.asp