Menu

Year end test for kindergarten?

Guinevere

I need suggestions for a good test for a child who is just finishing kindergarten, and can't read well.  She can do set 1 of the Bob books. She is a late birthday, and barely makes the cutoff for the required yearly test.  I can use anything that is nationally normed.  Thank you!

I don't have a good suggestion for a year end standardized test but hopefully someone will get on here soon and give you some good ones.   

I was wondering if you had dug in a bit deeper into why she is struggling to read?  Could she have difficulty with phonemic awareness (such as dyslexia) or a developmental vision issue perhaps?

She is my fourth child, a late summer/early fall birthday, and especially wiggly.  I've not pushed reading much with her, and she's coming along.  I'm not worried about it, but forgot I'd have to test her this year.  I've not had this issue with my others, because they are spring birthdays, and were through first grade before I had to test them.  

Thanks for the help.

Yes, in our state, if the child is 6 by the end of September, they must be tested.  In dd's case, she will be 6 a week before.  I would not have sent her to public school k this year because she was so close to the cutoff, and clearly not ready.  I do find it frustrating I have to test her, when it would be totally legal to just have not put her in school until this fall, right before she turned 6.  

• Like 2

It sounds like you might in Virginia with me. I can't quite tell from your post which it is, but if she is turning 6 in September 2017, she does not have to test for the 2016-2017 academic year. If she already turned 6 in September 2016, then she does have to test for the 2016-2017 academic year. You have to test for the academic year in which the student was 6 or older on September 30th. September 30th, 2017 pertains to the 2017-2018 academic year, not the 2016-2017 year. If it was legal to delay kindergarten this past year, you don't need to test until next year.

Yes, in our state, if the child is 6 by the end of September, they must be tested.  In dd's case, she will be 6 a week before.  I would not have sent her to public school k this year because she was so close to the cutoff, and clearly not ready.  I do find it frustrating I have to test her, when it would be totally legal to just have not put her in school until this fall, right before she turned 6.  

• Like 2

I would look into something administered one-on-one, primarily orally, like the W-JIII or the WRAT-4.

We've used both and I plan to use one of them with ds6 next year. You do have to have a trained administrator, but in our area they are inexpensive.