Menu

Mini crib vs regular crib vs pack n play

Baby arrives on the fall.

My house is tiny, and already full.

I was thinking of a mini crib, the kind used in day cares, instead of a full crib.

Then when baby is big he'd move to trundle bed.

There's no space in our room for a bassinet or similar.

So, is there a downside to a mini crib? Im thinking that instead of the pack n play for the thickness of the mattress and it's up higher off the ground.

Suggestions? Thoughts? Have you done something like this?

Baby arrives on the fall.

My house is tiny, and already full.

I was thinking of a mini crib, the kind used in day cares, instead of a full crib.

Then when baby is big he'd move to trundle bed.

There's no space in our room for a bassinet or similar.

So, is there a downside to a mini crib? Im thinking that instead of the pack n play for the thickness of the mattress and it's up higher off the ground.

Suggestions? Thoughts? Have you done something like this?

Mattresses are available for the pack and play.  We bought one last year from Amazon for about $30.  

Edited by Artichoke

My oldest boy tried to climb out of BIL's pack and play as a baby when we were visiting at in-laws. He nearly toppled the pack and play leaning on the wider side while trying to climb out. He was 8lbs 23" when born. He climbed out of the normal crib before one years old using the corners to leverage.

We have not tried a mini crib with either child. My younger boy was less of a crib climber.

I used a pack n play for our only crib for my youngest. She only graduated out of it when she learned to climb out of it. We used it for trips without the additional mattress but we used the mattress at home. I got a fancy one that had the insert that was higher up for when she was little. When she started to crawl to the edges and pull herself up a little, I removed that part and she was able to be on the lower level. If I had it to do over, I'd do the same thing. It was portable and light weight and served our purposes well and even after daily use, it's in very good shape. However, I don't think it was necessarily smaller than a crib. But I think there are mini versions available? If so, that's what I would do. We didn't travel a lot but when we did, it was so nice to be able to take her bed with us and she had a familiar place to sleep. Plus, I didn't have to buy a crib and a pack n play. :)

• Like 3

Did you use this for everyday use? Or for trips? Or something else? Was this your MAIN crib?

Yes, it was our main crib for the months that we had a family member placed with us.  After those months we used it during visits for the next year and a half.  Typing this out made me realize that it was two years ago that we bought the mattress.  Time goes so fast!

Pack and play only for dd2, dd1 climbed out of the crib at around 6 months so she was also pack and play only from then until she was around 1. The pack and play seemed the contain my little monkeys better than a crib

Edited by MomtoCandJ

I have a minicrib, where I upgraded the mattress. I am going to be selling soon. If you live near me, you could consider it. The crib new is $200 and the mattress cost extra plus the bedding. I was going to sell all together for $50.

BUT, my advice..I prefer the full sized crib. 

• 2 years later...

I think lots of folks use pack and plays for cribs.  They are pretty safe as they are close to the ground if the child tries to climb out.

I would not choose a "small crib" high off the ground.  Kids can climb out and fall on their heads at a pretty early age.  Generally by the time they can purposefully use their hands and legs, this becomes a possibility.  You want to put this off at least until the child is able to climb down feet first.  🙂

Goodness. I hated trying to put the sleeping baby down in a pack and play. Mine always woke up. Bending ALL the way down to almost the floor tended to end up with my babies flailing around. But my babies woke easily. Maybe not everyone's babies do that. But a pack and play took up almost as much space as the full sized crib so if OP is trying to save floor space, I'm not sure how that would help. Unless she wants to fold it up during the day once babe is out of newborn sleep habits?

SLightly off topic. 

There's this gal I follow on Instagram with toddler triplets (and an older child) in Copenhagen. She and her family live in a 2 bedroom apartment. THAT is living small. Here's a link where you can see their master bedroom with what looks like a double bed and three full sized baby cribs. She's very real in her posts. As in, you don't get a sense that she's hiding things.  However,  you don't get the sense of a cluttery mess of an apartment with 6 people living there.  But her home has very clean lines and simple furnishings and plain patterns and colors.I'm sure that helps with it feeling neat and tidy.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B74IPkUFoi6/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

I have a minicrib. It was not a problem for us because our children generally sleep in our beds. But honestly, if I did it over again, I might get a regular crib.  I gave had three children with the minicrib and none have slept in them. I would say no way to pack n' play..no child really ever sleeps in them. My older two slept in the regular crib and the crib converted to a toddler bed so they used them until after 5 yrs old. But since you have a day bed, you maybe could go with the minicrib knowing he will likely have to switch to the daybed by around a year and a half old. 

5 hours ago, J-rap said:

I don't understand how zombie threads happen??  How does a very old thread suddenly appear at the top?

This one looked like a blogger or writer searching for terms that matched the blog they wrote and then posting about it with a link to their article. So, spam. But also people google and sometimes old threads show up and people post without realizing it's old.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, J-rap said:

I don't understand how zombie threads happen??  How does a very old thread suddenly appear at the top?

Yeah, and by the time you see it, usually the spam post is gone, so it looks like some normal boardie you know just resurrected it for no reason, when actually they were responding because it was already at the top.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, EmseB said:

This one looked like a blogger or writer searching for terms that matched the blog they wrote and then posting about it with a link to their article. So, spam. But also people google and sometimes old threads show up and people post without realizing it's old.

That makes sense.  

3 hours ago, Farrar said:

Yeah, and by the time you see it, usually the spam post is gone, so it looks like some normal boardie you know just resurrected it for no reason, when actually they were responding because it was already at the top.

Ah, I see.  Now I get it...  I didn't realize the original spam post might be gone altogether, which is why it didn't make sense to me that a boardie I recognize was the first one to post on it.

• Like 2