Menu

Ladies only: girly questions!

I am 16 days into my cycle and have had period cramps all day. Both in my lower abdomen and lower back. More concentrated on the left side than the right.

A little bit ago it was so intense it was making me nauseous. So I'm in bed now, drinking water and the pain has eased up a little but definitely still there.

My list of ideas:

1. My mom's endometriosis is moving on to the next generation. Yay me.

2. I am actually feeling a late ovulation?? I've heard some women feel it but I never have so I don't know what it should feel like.

3. Something really unpleasant like an ovarian cyst.

So I'm posting here for wisdom. Is this normal? Anything to be concerned about? What does this sound like to you ladies? TIA!

I once had an ovarian cyst once plus a twisted ovary.  It was awful and ended up in the ER where it was diagnosed via internal sonogram.  Appendicitis was also thrown out there as a possibility before they did the sonogram.  I don't remember that they were able to do anything for it other than for me to take it easy.  At the most intense point of pain, I was vomiting but within a day or two I felt much better.  Hugs, I hope you feel better soon!

• Like 2

Mittelschmertz (or however the heck you spell it)???

It has a name! Lol!

Is it weird to suddenly start experiencing it? The few women I know have always felt it or it started after stopping the pill or the first period after baby. I have had no big system changes to bring it on.

I actually do hope this is what it is. It's the least troublesome of the options.

I once had an ovarian cyst once plus a twisted ovary. It was awful and ended up in the ER where it was diagnosed via internal sonogram. Appendicitis was also thrown out there as a possibility before they did the sonogram. I don't remember that they were able to do anything for it other than for me to take it easy. At the most intense point of pain, I was vomiting but within a day or two I felt much better. Hugs, I hope you feel better soon!

You poor thing! That sounds miserable! So it just untwisted itself?! I'm glad for you that it hasn't been a problem since. Our bodies are weird sometimes I guess. :)

• Like 1

It did untwist itself.  It was so strange - they could tell through the u/s that there was still blood flowing (I think that's what they said) through the ovary even though it was twisted.  I think if it wasn't flowing they would have had to intervene.  I'm hoping you feel better soon and the pain goes away!

• Like 1

If your symptoms persist I would probably put a call in to my GYN. 16 days is a fairly long cycle, is that normal for you? Has the bleeding gotten heavier?

I'm in my early 40s but my blood work and symptoms have shown that I'm in perimenopause. I've had very long cycles and heavy bleeding. I've also had new types of cramping and pain in my pelvis. Yay me! But if your pain gets worse you need to get that checked out! 

• Like 1

16 days is a fairly long cycle, is that normal for you? Has the bleeding gotten heavier?

I think she means she's on cycle day 16.  Not 16 days of bleeding. 

It could be ovulation pain.  And yes, it's possible to feel it if you never have before.  I have some months that it's more painful than others. 

Also possible it is a cyst. 

Not really something we can diagnose on a message board.  ;)  If it's concerning you or persists next cycle, see your OBGYN or CNM. 

• Like 1

I think it is likely an ovarian cyst (maybe even a normal, functional one) is pressing against a nerve and causing pain. But there is a chance it's something else - so if the pain persists for more than another 36 hours, if you get a fever, or if it goes over a 5 on a 10 point pain scale you should probably go into your obgyn or to the ER.  This is because it's also possible it's something terribly wrong (appendicitis, ectopic pregnancy, ovarian cancer, other cancers), it is much safer for you to find these things shortly after symptoms begin than it is to wait - which could have possibly life-threatening consequences.

• Like 1