Menu

Favorite American authors - I need suggestions!

I have recently read a few books by Wendell Berry. He's written books from the 1970's to today. My favorite so far is Hannah Coulter. The story tells about life after WWII and the decline of rural America. He shows how the farm life was difficult, yet simple. It made me want to experience the slow and rewarding life on a farm. Of course, I would need running water and someone to do teach me to sew and someone to take care of the animals…okay, it SOUNDS good, but probably not the best fit for me since I’m really a city girl. Although I do think I’m growing in this area.

I'm sorry. I know that was shouting. I just get, uh, a little overly enthusiastic about my favorite author. There's no time for me to extoll his virtues now. We have a little thing called school to do (*groaning* "Oh no! Not again!) and then a doctor's appointment. Someday I'll write a novel or maybe just a sonnet about it. For now I'll just say that his writing speaks to me more than anyone else's. When I read anything Steinbeck I find myself thinking, "Yes! Exactly! That is just what I've always thought, only you've said it better." Okay, I don't agree with him on everything, but it's close enough. My husband is sometimes a bit jealous of my relationship with Steinbeck;)

I'm sorry. I know that was shouting. I just get, uh, a little overly enthusiastic about my favorite author. There's no time for me to extoll his virtues now. We have a little thing called school to do (*groaning* "Oh no! Not again!) and then a doctor's appointment. Someday I'll write a novel or maybe just a sonnet about it. For now I'll just say that his writing speaks to me more than anyone else's. When I read anything Steinbeck I find myself thinking, "Yes! Exactly! That is just what I've always thought, only you've said it better." Okay, I don't agree with him on everything, but it's close enough. My husband is sometimes a bit jealous of my relationship with Steinbeck;)

Hmmm, tell me how you really feel about Steinbeck! You seem a little vague... Isn't it wonderful when you find an author with whom you connect? I haven't read any Steinbeck in years and I only read Travels with Charlie. I may just have to dust off the Steinbeck in the library! Thank you!

Our book club is reading East of Eden in April. I checked it out of the library last month & turned it in unread. I can't seem to get into reading it. Maybe I just find it overwhelming because it's such a thick book. I've never read Steinbeck before, and he's already mentioned on this thread twice, so I guess I'll get the recheck book and try again.

I have recently read a few books by Wendell Berry. He's written books from the 1970's to today. My favorite so far is Hannah Coulter. The story tells about life after WWII and the decline of rural America. He shows how the farm life was difficult, yet simple. It made me want to experience the slow and rewarding life on a farm. Of course, I would need running water and someone to do teach me to sew and someone to take care of the animals…okay, it SOUNDS good, but probably not the best fit for me since I’m really a city girl. Although I do think I’m growing in this area.

I have never heard of him! Looking him up... Thank you!

author. He can take the most boring and mundane of topics and make them fascinating, such as in Oranges. He will follow people doing mundane yet unusual jobs and makes their work and concerns come alive, such as in Irons in the Fire or Looking for a Ship. He writes of nature so it's interesting, unlike many mainstream nature writers, as in Rising from the Plains , Coming into the Country or The Pine Barrens.

But if he had written nothing else, he would be noteworthy for writing Encounters with the Archdruid. In this book he literally arranges for David Brower, a strident environmentalist, to work with 3 individuals who strongly oppose him. In these encounters, McPhee makes all the individuals come alive as caring individuals who want the best for others, not themselves. No one is a charicature of evil or selfishness. McPhee draws on their past, so the reader understands why each individual's philosophy developed as it did. I feel this book is must reading to teach and remind everyone that good, caring people can disagree veheminently.

(and please don't grade my spelling :( )

author. He can take the most boring and mundane of topics and make them fascinating, such as in Oranges. He will follow people doing mundane yet unusual jobs and makes their work and concerns come alive, such as in Irons in the Fire or Looking for a Ship. He writes of nature so it's interesting, unlike many mainstream nature writers, as in Rising from the Plains , Coming into the Country or The Pine Barrens.

But if he had written nothing else, he would be noteworthy for writing Encounters with the Archdruid. In this book he literally arranges for David Brower, a strident environmentalist, to work with 3 individuals who strongly oppose him. In these encounters, McPhee makes all the individuals come alive as caring individuals who want the best for others, not themselves. No one is a charicature of evil or selfishness. McPhee draws on their past, so the reader understands why each individual's philosophy developed as it did. I feel this book is must reading to teach and remind everyone that good, caring people can disagree veheminently.

(and please don't grade my spelling :( )

Wow. Even if I don't do a paper on him, I will read his books! I am going to start with Encounters with the Archdruid, I think. I appreciate this very much. Christy

Wendell Berry and Wallace Stegner are American treasures. I also enjoy Flannery O'Connor a great deal. I don't have time to elaborate, though I will try to get back to this later if you'd like me to.

Many thanks. I am writing these down. I had thought about Flannery O'Conner but I don't think I am familiar with the other two. Thank you!

I was going to suggest Tennessee Williams. About 12 years ago I read through all his plays. They are very powerful and really give great insight into the human pyche.

Some are better than others and some of the lesser know plays like "The Rose Tattoo," are very touching. He can be dark.

His life is very intersting as well. If you can do a playwright it is worth reading some of his stuff as they are a bit of a quick read.

As for novelists--I like Ray Bradbury as well. Stephen King will probably be the greatest novelist to come out of the 20th century though. His work especially the gunslinger series is heavily proliferated with references to great works of literature. I know that this is probably not a popular opinion but it is probably the truth.:)

Stephen King will probably be the greatest novelist to come out of the 20th century though. His work especially the gunslinger series is heavily proliferated with references to great works of literature. I know that this is probably not a popular opinion but it is probably the truth.:)

My husband, for one, agrees with you. :D

Edgar Allen Poe

Harriet Beecher Stowe (She could be good to write about because of the impact "Uncle Tom's Cabin" had)

Henry David Thoreau

Nathanial Hawthorne (The Scarlet Letter)

Walt Whitman and Emily Dickenson

Mark Twain

F. Scott Fitzgerald

Ernest Hemmingway

William Faulkner

Sylvia Plath (She could be interesting too - but depressing)

More recently, John Steinbeck, Toni Morrison, Joyce Carol Oates

Stephen King will probably be the greatest novelist to come out of the 20th century though. His work especially the gunslinger series is heavily proliferated with references to great works of literature. I know that this is probably not a popular opinion but it is probably the truth.:)

Hear, hear!!! I'd love to do a paper on him. lol