Menu

Book a Week 2017 - BW22: Bookish notes and birthdays

Robin M

Almost?

I have a bit of baggage about 'Taming of the Shrew,' so even when it isn't being written to portray domestic violence as comedy, I still retain some heebie jeebies.

Mostly what annoyed me about 'Vinegar Girl' was the blurb calling Kate a modern, independent woman when she really wasn't.

Also, if any of you would like to say a prayer for me,I'd appreciate it.  I came down with strep throat late Monday night and was running a 102 temp by yesterday.  I'm now on antibiotics but I'm still pretty miserable and we leave for vacation Sat.  I have so much to do but I'm quarantined on the couch till tomorrow because I'm highly contagious till antiibiotics kick in and can't get anyone else sick :crying:  :thumbdown:

Sending good thoughts your way, Angel.  I can attest that strep is no fun.  I hope you'll get in some good reading while confined to the couch.

Enjoy your vacation!

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 8

I finished Hidden Figures last week...finally.  I really wanted to like this book!  And indeed there were some good coherent parts.  But, overall, what a slog!!!  I feel like her editor should have had her rewrite with a more fluid story line.  The author would be talking about one of the main women but then literally from one sentence to the next not only transition from the woman we were talking about to a different woman (usually one we had not be introduced to yet) but also transition to a different time period!!!  There was absolutely no fluid timeline and while that can work, all it made this book was confusing and disorienting!  I felt no connection to these amazing women that I didn't know existed.  It read like a textbook that I had to finish.  I guess it made me mad because it was a problem that could have been easily fixed.  Split the book up into decades or by the women, anything to make it more readable and less confusing.  I gave up trying to look back at which women were which after about 150 pages.  Ugh!!

Those were pretty much my exact feelings about that book. Here's my review.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/25953369-hidden-figures?from_search=true

Also, if any of you would like to say a prayer for me,I'd appreciate it.  I came down with strep throat late Monday night and was running a 102 temp by yesterday.  I'm now on antibiotics but I'm still pretty miserable and we leave for vacation Sat.  I have so much to do but I'm quarantined on the couch till tomorrow because I'm highly contagious till antiibiotics kick in and can't get anyone else sick :crying:  :thumbdown: Skye actually asked me this morning if I should be in the kitchen :rolleyes:  I just wanted something to eat!

Feel better soon. I hope the antibiotics kick in quickly so you don't have to quarantine yourself from the rest of your family.  :grouphug:

• Like 10

I lost Loesje's next quote. So.....

Just a suggestion for spreading the book:

Week 31 (starts Sunday 30 July) part I = chapter 1-3

Week 32 (starts Sunday 6 August) Part II = Chapter 1-5

Week 33 (starts Sunday 13 august) Part III = Chapter 1-3

Week 34 (starts Sunday 20 august) part IV = chapter 1-4

Week 35 (starts Sunday 27 august) epilogues, catching up and final conclusions

Monday 4 September starts school again, and I want to be done with the book before that :)

This way it is about 380 pages a week in my edition.

The Maude edition on the Kindle calls them books. There are 15 books each with many chapters and 2 epilogues which is where I came up with my 17 parts. The end of Book 3 puts us at 24% of the book. I can't see any "part" subdivisions but each book has a year identification.

I went ahead and downloaded it onto my old Kindle reader. This is what I see:

Book 1 (1805) with 28 chapters

Book 2 (1805) with 21 chapters

Book 3 (1805) with 19 chapters.......24% complete ####

Book 4 (1806) with 16 chapters

Book 5 (1806-7) with 22 chapters

Book 6 (1808-10) with 26 chapters

Book 7 (1810-11) with 13 chapters......44% complete

Book 8 (1811-12) with 22 chapters......50% complete #####

Book 9 (1812) with 23 chapters

Book 10 (1812) with 39 chapters

Book 11 (1812) with 34 chapters.......76% complete #####

Book 12 (1812) with 16 chapters.......84% complete

Book 13 (1812) with 19 chapters

Book 14 (1812) with 19 chapters

Book 15 (1812-13) with 20 chapters.....92% complete ####

Epilogue 1 (1813-20) with 16 chapters

Epilogue 2 with 12 chapters

Not sure if that is any help. ;) I put #### where I think your breaks are. The Kindle I put it on doesn't do page numbers so all I can do is percentage complete. The chapters appear to be relatively short at 10 pages each for my random count. Language seems quite readable. The French appears in French with a *, directly under there is a * with the English translation.

Eta.....Obviously this is a bit late. I made food and did laundry while writing. ;) I'm going to leave it up..... I am very much for spreading things out more.

Now that I've look at the book, your breakdown makes sense.  Here's the breakdown from the Briggs version which equates to 1423 pages. Since all versions have a different number of pages,  we should take it by volume.   I think we probably should do two to three weeks per volume, then an additional week to discuss.  No sense in rushing through as parts are pretty dense and so much to discuss.  We just have a start date with no set time limit to finish.    If you can read between 15 to 25 pages a day, it's doable and we take the summer to cruise through the book and have plenty of discussion time, as well as time for reading other books.  Make sense? 

Vol1 P1 Ch 1 to 25 (110 pages)

Vol1 P2 Ch 1 to 21 (95 pages)

Vol1 P3 Ch 1 to 19 (100 pages)

VolII P1 Ch 1 to 16 (56 pages)

VolII P2 Ch 1 to 21 (78 pages)

VolII P3 Ch 1 to 26 (79 pages)

VolII P4 Ch 1 to 13 (54 pages)

VolII P5 Ch 1 to 22 (75 pages)

VolIII P1 Ch 1 to 23 (87 pages)

VolIII P2 Ch 1 to 39 (154 pages)

VolIII P3 Ch 1 to 34 (122 pages)

VolIV P1 Ch 1 to 16 (57 pages)

VolIV P2 Ch 1 to 19 (49 pages)

VolIV P3 Ch 1 to 19 (49 pages)

VolIV P4 Ch 1 to 20 (60 pages)

Epilogue 

P1 Ch 1 - 16 (157)

P2 Ch 1 - 12 (41)

Edited by Robin M
  • Like 11

W&P (new ed.) just arrived!

A much better font and a whiter page, definetly reaching the age these kind of things matters with reading...

And with french in the text with footnotes at the same page.

15 chapters in 4 parts and 2 epilogues = 17 parts as mentioned before?

Just want to be sure I read the same as everybody else :)

Yes, 17 parts.  You got it! 

• Like 8

I'd like to join in for W&P, although I don't know if I will be able to keep up. But that's OK.

--

Last night was my non-fiction book club meeting. We discussed Evicted: Poverty and Profit in the American CityI know a lot of you have read it already.

Goodness, this was the second book this year that I absolutely resolved to not read before bed. The first was Voices from Chernobyl, and Evicted haunted my dreams just as badly. I thought it was a fantastic book, just one that had to be read in the light of day.

Our book club discussion was quite lively, and we had someone come from the local city housing authority. It was great to have her perspective in the conversation.

Edited by Penguin
  • Like 13

:grouphug: Angel.  Hope you feel better soon. 

Right down to the wire.  I just finished the last book in may birthstone bookology challenge and  managed to clear some dusty books of my shelves this month as well. I discovered 4 new to me authors, read an even amount of physical versus ebooks and continued to delve into my comfort genres  - paranormal and fantasy.  I traveled from 11th Century England to the 21st century imaginary town of  Bitter Bark, North Carolina and into 4 different fantasy worlds.  

E: Blood of the Earth - Faith Hunter (#1 Soulwood,  Paranormal, 384 e)  Nell is an earth mage, but has had to hid it so she wouldn't be accused of being a witch by the cult she escaped from.  Rick from Jane Yellowrock's world, brings PsyLed to her doorstep to help her discover her powers as well as save her from the cult that's hiding a secret. 

M: Mapmakers War - Ronlyn Dominguez (Utopian, 226) Intriguing utopian story written in the 2nd person point of view, written mainly in summary narrative and without quote marks around the dialogue which tends to make difficult to distinguish the character's conversation from the rest of the story. 

E: From the Corner of His Eye - Dean Koontz (paranormal suspense/thriller, 729)  A complex story that managed to weave a disparate group of people together from a blind boy named Bartholomew to a sociopath who is bound and determine to destroy him. Scary good!

R: Cold Reign - Faith Hunter (#11 Jane Yellowrock, paranormal 371) Non stop action in Jane Yellowrock's world as she fights to protect the vampires against revenant vamps.  

A: Aedyn Chronicles: Chosen One - Alister McGrath (YA fantasy, 208) A young adult fantasy story about two kids who fall through a garden pond into a dystopian world where they are expected to free slaves from evil lords.  

L: Lord of Chaos - Robert Jordan (#6 wheel of time, Fantasy, 1011)Continuing saga of Rand and company!

D: Fire Dance - Della Jacobs (historical romance, 344 e)  New to me author and set in England's middle ages.  Involves a wicked lord, a deadly purple cloak, a knight ordered by the king to kill the lord, seize the castle and marry the lord's daughter who seems to have disappeared.  

Blood Kissed - Keri Arthur (#1 Lizzie Grace, Paranormal, 310 e)

Sit, Stay, Beg - Roxanne St. Claire (#1 Dogfather, contemporary romance, 300 e)

New Leash on Life - Roxanne St. Claire (#2 Dogfather, contemporary romance, 316 e)

Storm Watcher - Lilith St. Crow (#2 Watchers, Urban Fantasy,184 e)

Fierce on the Page - Sage Cohen (nonfiction, writing, 229)

• Like 13

Do you all want to start mid June which will spread the book over the summer and I can put together a schedule of sorts. We could use sparknotes as a guide for discussion questions. Same as other readalongs, folks can gloss over that part of the thread so don't get spoilers. Let me know if any of you want to lead discussion or if you'd rather keep it casual.

Half June will be fine to me, dd will have finished most of her lessons by then.

Tress will join the reading too.

I want to try first to join a book discussion in English before leading one:

I'll be happy when I can express my thoughts more properly :)

• Like 11

Do you all want to start mid June which will spread the book over the summer and I can put together a schedule of sorts. We could use sparknotes as a guide for discussion questions. Same as other readalongs, folks can gloss over that part of the thread so don't get spoilers. Let me know if any of you want to lead discussion or if you'd rather keep it casual.

I will be 4,676 miles from my book until July. But I plan to just start reading it when I get home, and stop when I'm done. I can't possibly read it on a schedule; summer homeschooling is a feast-or-famine thing for scheduling.

The straightforward thing I think is just to quietly read it or not and lurk through the discussion, and not derail the read-along. :)

Edited by Violet Crown
  • Like 12

I will be 4,676 miles from my book until July. But I plan to just start reading it when I get home, and stop when I'm done. I can't possibly read it on a schedule; summer homeschooling is a feast-or-famine thing for scheduling.

The straightforward thing I think is just to quietly read it or not and lurk through the discussion, and not derail the read-along. :)

I want to (1) finish both my BaW bingo card and Goodreads Into the Forest challenge by the end of the year and (2) read my book club book each month before the meeting. If I add more schedule to my reading, it will become a chore. But W&P has been on my TBR list for a long time, and I enjoy long books. So I will join you in the  non-scheduled, non-derailing, lurking version of a W&P read-a-long :)

• Like 11

I have a bit of baggage about 'Taming of the Shrew,' so even when it isn't being written to portray domestic violence as comedy, I still retain some heebie jeebies.

Mostly what annoyed me about 'Vinegar Girl' was the blurb calling Kate a modern, independent woman when she really wasn't.

Just making sure you didn't mean most.

Totally get the baggage.  The library site where I get my audiobooks has been pushing Vinegar Girl for months as a group read, always popular, read if you don't know what you want sort of thing and I have been ignoring them.  If you had meant most, I would have reconsidered.  I'm willing to make lots of allowances for time and author but Taming of the Shrew is over my tolerance level.  The awful part is that that plot still is the basic plot of so many romances.

Nan

• Like 8

More from Iceland.

I understand this.

One might feel that in order to be a writer, one must publish and sell one's work, but but when one is doing that part of being a writer, the business part, one is not creating. How much of one's time does one put into the creative part of being a writer and how much into the business part? This is a problem with any creative career. This publishing house is for the writers who need to maximize their writing time and cut their business time to almost nothing. It is a brilliant idea. It is an unfortunate coincidence that burning books has also been done for political reasons, I think.

: )

Nan

• Like 8

I finished Hidden Figures last week...finally.  I really wanted to like this book!  And indeed there were some good coherent parts.  But, overall, what a slog!!!  I feel like her editor should have had her rewrite with a more fluid story line.  The author would be talking about one of the main women but then literally from one sentence to the next not only transition from the woman we were talking about to a different woman (usually one we had not be introduced to yet) but also transition to a different time period!!!  There was absolutely no fluid timeline and while that can work, all it made this book was confusing and disorienting!  I felt no connection to these amazing women that I didn't know existed.  It read like a textbook that I had to finish.  I guess it made me mad because it was a problem that could have been easily fixed.  Split the book up into decades or by the women, anything to make it more readable and less confusing.  I gave up trying to look back at which women were which after about 150 pages.  Ugh!!

<snip>

Also, if any of you would like to say a prayer for me,I'd appreciate it.  I came down with strep throat late Monday night and was running a 102 temp by yesterday.  I'm now on antibiotics but I'm still pretty miserable and we leave for vacation Sat.  I have so much to do but I'm quarantined on the couch till tomorrow because I'm highly contagious till antiibiotics kick in and can't get anyone else sick :crying:  :thumbdown: Skye actually asked me this morning if I should be in the kitchen :rolleyes:  I just wanted something to eat!  

That's very much how I felt about Hidden Figures.  When it was good it was VERY, VERY good.  When it was slow it was horrid.  There's a junior edition and I wonder if it has all the info in a more coherent package.

I am sorry.  I hope you get better soon and those antibiotics kick in quick.

I finished reading Eyes of the Sun by Andrea Pearson to my boys last night.  It's the second to last Kilenya book.

Edited by Butter
  • Like 11

Considering that you and Lady Florida started the whole discussion about reading War and Peace and it kind of snowballed from there with me sticking my nosy nose into it, I'm removing my nosy nose and leaving it in all you lovely ladies hands to read and enjoy and chat about it when you are ready. 

Edited by Robin M
  • Like 10

Considering that you and Lady Florida started the whole discussion about reading War and Peace and it kind of snowballed from there with me sticking my nosy nose into it, I'm removing my nosy nose and leaving it in all you lovely ladies hands to read when you are read and enjoy.

No no no! I think the scheduled read-along and discussion will work just fine. Kathy and I are doing it as a re-read, so the experience will be very different for us anyway. This is a benign monarchy -- the reason why BaW is so successful and long-lasting, if you ask me -- and it's entirely appropriate for you to channel the general War & Peace interest in an organized fashion. I really think we should do both approaches.

• Like 11

A few currently free Kindle books ~

two cozy paranormal mysteries by author April FernsbyMurder Of A Werewolf (A Brimstone Witch Mystery Book 1)  AND   The Leprechaun's Last Trick (A Brimstone Witch Mystery)

a fictional retelling of the fall of Lucifer ~ THE FALL (The Rapha Chronicles)  by Chana Keefer

and a book that I enjoyed.  I remember someone joining the group right after I posted about this one and commenting, with some surprise, about a gay Amish romance ~ A Forbidden Rumspringa (Gay Amish Romance Book 1)  by Keira Andrews.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 6

Just making sure you didn't mean most.

Totally get the baggage.  The library site where I get my audiobooks has been pushing Vinegar Girl for months as a group read, always popular, read if you don't know what you want sort of thing and I have been ignoring them.  If you had meant most, I would have reconsidered.  I'm willing to make lots of allowances for time and author but Taming of the Shrew is over my tolerance level.  The awful part is that that plot still is the basic plot of so many romances.

Nan

Unless you were doing a study of 'Taming of the Shrew' (and I'm not really sure how I kind of got to be doing that when I don't even like Shakespeare, let alone 'Taming of the Shrew',) I wouldn't call it a must-read!

'Vinegar Girl' isn't a DV story. A bit dysfunctional, but without dysfunction you don't have a story.

An enjoyable post from the Tor.com site from author Marie Brennan; there was a line about chickens that had me laughing. ~ 

Forget the Horoscope; Try These 5 Methods of Divination

"Prophecy shows up all the time in fantasy, but divination is less common. And yet, if you look at history, people all over the world used different forms of divination to guide their lives, for decisions ranging from when to set out on a trip to selecting the right person to marry.

When divination does show up in a story, it almost always takes the form of cards, whether the familiar tarot or an invented deck inspired by it. Every so often you’ll get a reference to astrology, or possibly the casting of runes. But there are so many more possibilities—some fairly comprehensible, others much less so…"

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 8

That's very much how I felt about Hidden Figures.  When it was good it was VERY, VERY good.  When it was slow it was horrid.  There's a junior edition and I wonder if it has all the info in a more coherent package.

I saw the movie first, and while it completely reworked a lot of things and even mixed things that happened to different people and moved timelines around, I found when reading the book knowing who the main characters were ahead of time really helped give me a 'hook' so I didn't get things mixed up and helped me not feel like it was as jumpy as many have perceived it.

So, I'd highly recommend watching the movie first (which is the opposite of what I'd normally recommend...)

• Like 11

Considering that you and Lady Florida started the whole discussion about reading War and Peace and it kind of snowballed from there with me sticking my nosy nose into it, I'm removing my nosy nose and leaving it in all you lovely ladies hands to read and enjoy and chat about it when you are ready.

No no no! I think the scheduled read-along and discussion will work just fine. Kathy and I are doing it as a re-read, so the experience will be very different for us anyway. This is a benign monarchy -- the reason why BaW is so successful and long-lasting, if you ask me -- and it's entirely appropriate for you to channel the general War & Peace interest in an organized fashion. I really think we should do both approaches.

Robin, I've stayed quiet all day long because I wanted to let other people have a chance to read and comment but I would love it if we have a stated goal for the week and a discussion of sorts early in the week. Your plan sounded pretty perfect to me. :) I hope you will consider posting the chapter divisions each week as you suggested and any other ideas would be welcome. I know I need them and if I am understanding what others are saying I have company. ;) I don't think any of us newbies to War and Peace feel comfortable leading, I know I don't. I'm hoping that with stated weekly goals maybe we can manage a reasonable discussion each week. We obviously will occasionally be in the same place as some of our other readers so hopefully others will pop in and out.

I am so sad.

I am visiting the indie bookstore that first turned me on to author Brian Doyle (Mink River; The Plover) & the people at the store told me he just died of a brain tumor & his funeral is tomorrow.

I couldn't like... So sad. I haven't read The Plover yet but plan to. Edited by mumto2
  • Like 10

Robin, I've stayed quiet all day long because I wanted to let other people have a chance to read and comment but I would love it if we have a stated goal for the week and a discussion of sorts early in the week. Your plan sounded pretty perfect to me. :) I hope you will consider posting the chapter divisions each week as you suggested and any other ideas would be welcome. I know I need them and if I am understanding what others are saying I have company. ;) I don't think any of us newbies to War and Peace feel comfortable leading, I know I don't. I'm hoping that with stated weekly goals maybe we can manage a reasonable discussion each week. We obviously will occasionally be in the same place as some of our other readers so hopefully others will pop in and out

:iagree:  This all sounds great to me. :)  

• Like 9

Robin, I've stayed quiet all day long because I wanted to let other people have a chance to read and comment but I would love it if we have a stated goal for the week and a discussion of sorts early in the week. Your plan sounded pretty perfect to me. :) I hope you will consider posting the chapter divisions each week as you suggested and any other ideas would be welcome. I know I need them and if I am understanding what others are saying I have company. ;) I don't think any of us newbies to War and Peace feel comfortable leading, I know I don't. I'm hoping that with stated weekly goals maybe we can manage a reasonable discussion each week. We obviously will occasionally be in the same place as some of our other readers so hopefully others will pop in and out.

I couldn't like... So sad. I haven't read The Plover yet but plan to.

:iagree: as well. I thought your plan seemed quite doable.
  • Like 6

Ack Stacia! Terry Pratchett died right after I discovered him, too. Ug. I adored The Plover. Usually, it is a high compliment to say that a book sticks with you but I can't say that about The Plover. The book didn't stick with me because I feel like it was inside me in the first place.

Nan

• Like 8

I am so sad.

I am visiting the indie bookstore that first turned me on to author Brian Doyle (Mink River; The Plover) & the people at the store told me he just died of a brain tumor & his funeral is tomorrow.

I haven't yet read The Plover, though it is on my list. I found this brief article.

Yes. This. I definitely need some guidance in how to divide up W&P.

I am so sad.

Oh my, this stopped me in my tracks tonight. He sounds like he was a lovely a human being as his prose would suggest:

Brian Doyle

ETA -- Ethel just linked the same article!

Edited by JennW in SoCal
  • Like 7

I saw the movie first, and while it completely reworked a lot of things and even mixed things that happened to different people and moved timelines around, I found when reading the book knowing who the main characters were ahead of time really helped give me a 'hook' so I didn't get things mixed up and helped me not feel like it was as jumpy as many have perceived it.

So, I'd highly recommend watching the movie first (which is the opposite of what I'd normally recommend...)

So we did!

As in:

The movie is available now as movie on demand option at our digital television, and we watched the movie together. No we will read the book.

• Like 10

Half June will be fine to me, dd will have finished most of her lessons by then.

Tress will join the reading too.

I want to try first to join a book discussion in English before leading one:

I'll be happy when I can express my thoughts more properly :)

I would have never guessed you were the least bit uncomfortable in English. Your English is great.

• Like 10

I would have never guessed you were the least bit uncomfortable in English. Your English is great.

Thank you for the compliment!

But you all don't see the posts I delete because I can't get my thoughts wel enough written in English...

I don't consider my English as 'great' but it becomes better with the years.

I hope to reach that level of English I can post without rewriting each sentence three times before posting :)

• Like 10

But you all don't see the posts I delete because I can't get my thoughts wel enough written in English...

I hope to reach that level of English I can post without rewriting each sentence three times before posting :)

• Like 3

Firstly, your English has certainly improved since you've been on this forum, and I'm saying that in a "yay you!" sort of way, not that you weren't any good before. :p

Secondly, I'm a native English speaker and am impressed with myself when I don't go back to edit a post immediately after I post it. :leaving:

Thanks for the Brian Doyle article. The bookstore folks said they have a contingent of their employees making the trip for his funeral tomorrow.

I did buy Doyle's newest book, The Adventures of John Carson.

And we greatly mourned Terry Pratchett's passing too.

So sad to read about Brian Doyle. I too have loved his books.

And about Terry Pratchett - my girls have both recently discovered his books. dd10 just read the last book of the Tiffany series, which was his last book, and she told me she was so sad he was gone, because there was so much of the story left to tell. 

• Like 10

So sad to read about Brian Doyle. I too have loved his books.

And about Terry Pratchett - my girls have both recently discovered his books. dd10 just read the last book of the Tiffany series, which was his last book, and she told me she was so sad he was gone, because there was so much of the story left to tell.

Yes. I was blown away by the Tiffany series and am sad it won't go on. I am deeply grateful to Pratchett for getting it as much finished up as he did. That was very difficult and loving thing to do for us all.

Nan

• Like 9

That's very much how I felt about Hidden Figures.  When it was good it was VERY, VERY good.  When it was slow it was horrid.  

It seems to be the consensus here on BaW.

I agree. I'll reread it at my pace, but will happily join in any discussion if there's an official read along.

I am so sad.

Oh no! I loved The Plover and have Mink River on my TR list. Here's another article (though it uses the same photo). Apparently Wikipedia hasn't found out yet. That's odd, they're usually on top of that kind of thing.

• Like 9

I finished reading The Railway Children by Edith Nesbit this morning.  I was pre-reading it for Adrian for next school year.  It was okay.  It was very, very, very dated and it made it quaint I suppose, but not especially enjoyable.  It had a nice ending.

• Like 8

I stayed up way too late last night finishing a book that I quite enjoyed ~ The Spires of Turris (LondonWells Book 1)  by Christine Danse.  This is the first book I've read by this author, and I look forward to reading more as the author has created an intriguing world.  This book is hard to categorize; it is science fiction and adventure with a bit of a romance. 

"Dr. London Wells, linguist and adventurer, has the unique ability to understand any language in the universe, including the languages left behind by the ancient dead races of the Lost Planets – making him an intergalactic celebrity. But London likes his privacy—and he always works alone. No assistants, no entourage. When he goes on expedition to a Lost Planet, it’s just him, the memory of dead aliens, and the resident man-eating fauna. He’s a self-sufficient sharp shooter whose insatiable curiosity can stand up to any danger.

Until he breaks his head falling from a cliff. That changes everything.

Now, after a long recovery, London is onto the greatest discovery of his life: a language to prove a connection between the Lost Planets. In order to investigate further, he’ll need to travel to an unforgiving alien planet. But he can’t go alone. That’s his dean’s last condition: either he travels with a research assistant, or not at all.

Unfortunately for London, graduate student Chas Chambers is not the only unexpected element on this trip…"

ETA: I also read the contemporary new adult romance novella  Bewitched  by Daisy Prescott.  It was a light enjoyable read but probably not a book I'll be re-reading.

"Madison Bradbury isn’t interested in spells or magic, or anything hocus-pocus related despite descending from the original Salem witches. Her life as a Hawthorne College junior is boring. Perfectly so. That is until Andrew Wildes appears in her class—like a quiet, brooding hero from one of her favorite romances.

When a local witch convinces Madison to use a love spell on her crush, what happens next is more than magical.

A crush. A love spell. What can go wrong?"

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 6

Firstly, your English has certainly improved since you've been on this forum, and I'm saying that in a "yay you!" sort of way, not that you weren't any good before. :p

Secondly, I'm a native English speaker and am impressed with myself when I don't go back to edit a post immediately after I post it. :leaving:

Thank you for the compliments too!

And good too know :D.

It is just frustrating sometimes to have a head full of thoughts and just not getting them on screen.

But I will try more during the W&P read a long.

• Like 9