Menu

Book a Week 2017 - BW22: Bookish notes and birthdays

Robin M

This is probably a stupid question, but why do you all want to read War and Peace? I haven't read it, but my impression was that it was an exceedingly long and depressing tragedy?

Nan

Historical fiction which makes you think and broadens your understanding.

What I mentioned in my review for was:

Tolstoy blends history with fiction to create an interesting, educational, classical story about war, love, family, and power. In the latter part of the story Tolstoy mixes in his analysis of the actions of Napoleon, Alexander and the people surrounding them. The Russian Commander in Chief, Kutozov was one particular person whom Tolstoy felt should have been honored over Napoleon.

"For Russian historians (strange and terrible to relate) Napoleon, the least significant instrument of history, who never once in any place, not even in exile, displayed a trace of human virtue, is an object of admiration and enthusiasm; he is one of their 'great men'.

By contrast, Kutozov, the man who from start to finish during his period of command in 1812, from Borodino to Vilna, never once let himself down by word or deed, an unparalleled example of self sacrifice and the ability to see today's events with tomorrow's significance, this Kutuzov is conceived of by the same historians as a rather pathetic, nondescript character, and any mention of him in relation to the year 1812 always causes a stir of embarrassment.

And yet it is difficult to think of any historical figure whose activity shows a greater determination to focus continually on a single aim. It is difficult to imagine a more noble aim, or one more closely attuned to the will of an entire nation. And it would be even more difficult to find an example anywhere in history of a historical personage accomplishing his declared aim more completely than Kutuzov did after total commitment to it in 1812." pg 1208

In the Epilogue, Tolstoy analyzes how historians apply the actions of one person and represent it as the action of an entire people. He discusses the actions of Napoleon, the question of power and whether power is taken by one person or given to that person by a select few or the masses.

"How did these individuals compel whole nations to act in accordance with their will? pg 1317

What is the meaning of power and what happens if no one follows that power. What is the meaning of free will and if people are influenced by the actions of those around them or if it is all meant to be. His examination of the events of 1812 is very interesting and gives you much to think about.

Not only did I fall in love with the characters, I was fascinated by the whole story, how events unfolded and one person's actions affected not just one person, but everyone.

• Like 14

This is probably a stupid question, but why do you all want to read War and Peace?  I haven't read it, but my impression was that it was an exceedingly long and depressing tragedy?

Nan

Long yes, but I love long books. I read and enjoyed Les Miserables (longer that W&P), Don Quixote, and other novels that are over 1000 pages. Other novels that come close to 1000 are Middlemarch and The Way We Live Now. Long is not a problem.

As for depressing, it's not actually. It certainly has its share of tragedy and war, but it's not depressing. Also, there's the historical fiction aspect and wonderful writing.

Edited by Lady Florida.
  • Like 14

This is probably a stupid question, but why do you all want to read War and Peace? I haven't read it, but my impression was that it was an exceedingly long and depressing tragedy?

Nan

I really loved the BBC drama last year, and that made me to give W&P a try.

DH is fan of Russian Literature and reading books he also likes give something to talk about.

I started W&P last year and although the war pieces are something too descriptional, too long winded in my eyes, I really liked the parts in between. They are pretty vivid? (Lively).

I liked Anne Karenina, Fathers & Sons so far.

I am not sure what my opinion about the Brothers Karamazov is :)

I don't mind thick books,

As long as they are well written :)

• Like 13

I recognize that.

Dutch translations of English books are always thicker then the original.

Dutch - German is pretty equal so far.

I have no idea how Dutch relates to Russian though.

:) Me neither. But the 1400 pages is for English. .. have no idea how long the original Russian is!

• Like 13

Regarding book nooks: they must have natural light and back/head support! So many of those pictures look nice but I wouldn't want to read there. A good comfy chair with ottoman and a window behind it are great. I don't want to sit in a window seat without back support!

Regarding W&P: I'm leaning toward Maude, but the dimensions of the one on Amazon seem so small. I need a decent font size. I will check with our little bookstore in town and see if they have something readable.

• Like 14

Well, I couldn't decide on my next fiction book but now I know. The John Pickett mysteries from Karen (originally from aggieamy I think) arrived today. I'll be catching up on the Kindle versions so I can get to these paperback versions. I have the Kindle versions of books 2 and 3 to read so I can get to the paperback books I just received. Thank you Karen!

• Like 14

I'm so happy for anybody who has a reason to read or re-read Gatsby!  :001_wub:

One doesn't even need a reason or excuse to read/reread The Great Gatsby! :D

A bonus is the fact that it's such a short book, it's easy to fit into your reading time.

I keep seeing mention of maps. I like maps (really like maps ;) ) but for maps Kindle is useless generally. I can get the Maude translation from the physical library in 3 volumes (my hands and August will be quilt intensive) which supposedly has good maps. Also could go between kindle and paper which seems like a great solution to me. Might be the best way for me to actually do this from my current perspective.

I did this with The Voyage of the Beagle. I read the Kindle version, but checked the lovely illustrated version out from the library so I could enjoy the pictures. 

Now I'm thinking I should read a different translation of War and Peace than Pevear/Volokhonsky. The differences might be interesting and I wonder if I'd like the book better, not as much, or the same with a different translation. I've often seen complaints that Pevear and Volokhonsky translations are cold because they're too academic, but I've read three Russian novels they translated (two Tolstoy and one Dostoevsky) and none seemed cold or pedantic to me. I enjoyed all three books so they must have done something right. Still, a different translation might be fun. I think I'm talking (writing?) myself into it. :)

• Like 14

Nan, My reason for giving War and Peace a try stems from it truly is one of the classics that I have always intended to read. There are lots of classics I haven't read but many of those I will never read and am good with that. You will never see me join a Moby Dick read along.....whales, explains it in one word. I haven't read War and Peace simply because I have always categorised myself as too busy, also I was never assigned it for a class. :lol: A group read along is perfect for me because it lends itself to some accountability. Also I should be able to continue my fluff reading and still keep up. :)

That being said totally clueless me "checked out" and returned the Maude translation earlier tonight. I wanted to look at the index and it has 17 sections. I was unable to look at page numbers without completely downloading it. I think the next thing the group who wants to tackle this book needs to decide is a reasonable schedule of these sections. I suspect some are a much quicker read than others. CandanceSophia and others familiar with the book I think we could use suggestions. As Matryoshka suggested upthread the one hundred pages or so each week worked well for Razor's Edge. How long should we spread this over? I suspect that hanging on to my library books won't be much of a problem so whatever works for the group is fine with me.

• Like 10

Regarding book nooks: they must have natural light and back/head support! So many of those pictures look nice but I wouldn't want to read there. A good comfy chair with ottoman and a window behind it are great. I don't want to sit in a window seat without back support!

Yes. I looked at some of those. A few of those nooks looked like they didn't have enough room to lie down. I would want to take cat naps as well as read. A cup of tea, a book, and a nice, comfy blanket...

Any of you remember the episode of Cheers when Sam reads War and Peace to impress Diane? The final joke is after he is finished it, she suggests they watch the movie. He is incredulous. "You mean I could have watched the movie instead of reading it?!!"

Here's 5 minute, animated TED talk "Why should you read War & Peace?"

• Like 14

Well, I couldn't decide on my next fiction book but now I know. The John Pickett mysteries from Karen (originally from aggieamy I think) arrived today. I'll be catching up on the Kindle versions so I can get to these paperback versions. I have the Kindle versions of books 2 and 3 to read so I can get to the paperback books I just received. Thank you Karen!

I'm glad to hear that the books have arrived.  And, yes, they did indeed come to me from Aggieamy.  They are becoming well traveled!

I hope you'll enjoy them; I did.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 10

I would like to read War and Peace, but I have to admit that I am afraid of committing! I'm having trouble getting through 200 page books at the moment...

Didn't finish a single thing last week. The kids all got sick after our vacation and I ended up running a couple of them to the doctor. Then my parents decided they could come for my dd's graduation after all, and I spent the rest of the time cleaning up and weeding out books. While my mom and dad were here over the weekend, we decided to work on getting the kitchen floor in and moving the new stove in from the garage (where it has been sitting since January). We pulled the old stove out and discovered that the gas line and outlet were in the wrong place for the new stove to sit flush against the wall like it's supposed to. Then my dh got sick. So I have about 3 feet of finished floor and no stove now. And today was spent dealing with problem puppies.

(And maybe some problem children.)

BaW is my reward for getting to the end of the day without committing any serious crimes. [emoji6][emoji5]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by Angelaboord
  • Like 15

W&P (new ed.) just arrived!

A much better font and a whiter page, definetly reaching the age these kind of things matters with reading...

And with french in the text with footnotes at the same page.

15 chapters in 4 parts and 2 epilogues = 17 parts as mentioned before?

Just want to be sure I read the same as everybody else :)

• Like 9

Any of you remember the episode of Cheers when Sam reads War and Peace to impress Diane? The final joke is after he is finished it, she suggests they watch the movie. He is incredulous. "You mean I could have watched the movie instead of reading it?!!"

Here's 5 minute, animated TED talk "Why should you read War & Peace?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dn7TEjnbPY

Hmmm....

So... Some of you are reading it because you are trying to educate yourselves and it is a classic that isn't about something you can't deal with, like an intelligent species exploiting a different intelligent species by messily dismembering them. And some of you are reading it because you have read other Russian books and liked them and think you might enjoy this one. And some of you are reading it because it explores philosophical questions that you find intriguing, like why intelligent species exploit their own species by messily dismembering them? Or something like that?

: )

Nan

• Like 10

Hmmm....

So... Some of you are reading it because you are trying to educate yourselves and it is a classic that isn't about something you can't deal with, like an intelligent species exploiting a different intelligent species by messily dismembering them. And some of you are reading it because you have read other Russian books and liked them and think you might enjoy this one. And some of you are reading it because it explores philosophical questions that you find intriguing, like why intelligent species exploit their own species by messily dismembering them? Or something like that?

Nan

I read it for the same reason I read the book about one intelligent species exploiting another intelligent species - I had never read it and wanted to find out why it's considered a classic and if it deserves its reputation. I'm rereading because I loved it and want to experience it again. :)

Edited by Lady Florida.
  • Like 9

I should probably add that I spent the spring riveted by Dune, in which one intelligent species exploits another much less intelligent species which causes the first to evolve into multiple species who try to exploit each other, sometimes very messily, while trying to avoid the extinction of the less intelligent one, while dealing with several philosophical problems, all in something like 2400 pages.

Nan

Eta that I read it because I liked the characters and setting, and then continued it past those characters because of the philosophical problems it explores.

Edited by Nan in Mass
  • Like 10

Just a suggestion for spreading the book:

Week 31 (starts Sunday 30 July) part I = chapter 1-3

Week 32 (starts Sunday 6 August) Part II = Chapter 1-5

Week 33 (starts Sunday 13 august) Part III = Chapter 1-3

Week 34 (starts Sunday 20 august) part IV = chapter 1-4

Week 35 (starts Sunday 27 august) epilogues, catching up and final conclusions

Monday 4 September starts school again, and I want to be done with the book before that :)

This way it is about 380 pages a week in my edition.

• Like 9

I read it for the same reason I read the book about one intelligent species exploiting another intelligent species - I had never read it and wanted to find out why it's considered a classic and if it deserves its reputation. I'm rereading because I loved it and want to experience it again. :)

Grin- I have noticed before that unlike so many of you, I have almost zero curiosity about why things are classics. I have lots of blind faith that classics are classics because they are readable by many people and popular with many people over a long time. I might read something out of curiosity about the subject, or because it is a classic dealing with a subject I am curious about, or because it sounds like I might enjoy it, but I am not literary enough to want to join the people who are reading critically and being part of the great conversation. : )

Ok - I think I have thoroughly talked myself out of joining you. Not that I needed to. My mother's "Good Lord!" did that well enough. : ) She said I would be better off reading Moby Dick skimming the whaling bits. Not that she was recommending that. She was the one who gave me Dune to read in college because she had liked it. Dune is more our sort of thing.

Nan

• Like 10

Grin- I have noticed before that unlike so many of you, I have almost zero curiosity about why things are classics. I have lots of blind faith that classics are classics because they are readable by many people and popular with many people over a long time. I might read something out of curiosity about the subject, or because it is a classic dealing with a subject I am curious about, or because it sounds like I might enjoy it, but I am not literary enough to want to join the people who are reading critically and being part of the great conversation. : )

Ok - I think I have thoroughly talked myself out of joining you. Not that I needed to. My mother's "Good Lord!" did that well enough. : ) She said I would be better off reading Moby Dick skimming the whaling bits. Not that she was recommending that. She was the one who gave me Dune to read in college because she had liked it. Dune is more our sort of thing.

Nan

I must say I really liked Dune 1,

And I think I will read other Volumes too, in time.

But I didn't want to read it back to back.

• Like 9

A one day only currently free classic for Kindle readers ~

Cease Firing by Mary Johnston

About the Author
Mary Johnston (1870–1936) was an American novelist and champion of women’s rights. She wrote a number of popular novels, including To Have and to Hold, that combined elements of romance and history. A staunch advocate for the advancement of women, Johnston used her success to fight for women’s suffrage.

"A Confederate artilleryman from Virginia, Richard Cleave was in Chancellorsville when Stonewall Jackson lost an arm—and eventually his life—to a bullet fired by one of his own men. Now, Cleave is on hand for the long and devastating siege of Vicksburg, a major turning point in the war. When Lee loses his confrontation with Grant at Gettysburg and the Army of Northern Virginia begins its tortuous retreat south, all appears lost for the Confederacy. But there is still fighting and dying in store for the men on the road to Appomattox: The bloody fields of Chickamauga, the Wilderness, and Spotsylvania await Cleave and his compatriots in gray.

Based in part on actual Civil War memoirs and transcripts, including those of the author’s illustrious cousin, Confederate General Joseph E. Johnston, Cease Firing endures as one of the most realistic and moving novels ever written about the War Between the States."

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 7

Monday 4 September starts school again, and I want to be done with the book before that :)

Hmm, that's a rather intense pace.  We took 3 weeks for Razor's Edge, and the whole book was less than one week's of reading at this pace.  One reason I enjoyed it was because it didn't seem like extra 'work'. I want to still have time left to read other stuff along the way...  I also think smaller sections lead to more interesting discussions?  150-200 pages a week would feel more doable for me, anyway...

I'm also wondering if we should assign less pages for weeks with 'war' sections?  Haven't read the book so not sure how that would break down, but some people have mentioned that those are harder to get through.  I ended up abandoning the Beast to the Blonde because it was too much of a sloggy chore, even though the page count per week was minuscule - so that made me think that less pages for the slower-going parts might make it seem more doable?

• Like 10

Hmm, that's a rather intense pace. We took 3 weeks for Razor's Edge, and the whole book was less than one week's of reading at this pace. One reason I enjoyed it was because it didn't seem like extra 'work'. I want to still have time left to read other stuff along the way... I also think smaller sections lead to more interesting discussions? 150-200 pages a week would feel more doable for me, anyway...

I'm also wondering if we should assign less pages for weeks with 'war' sections? Haven't read the book so not sure how that would break down, but some people have mentioned that those are harder to get through. I ended up abandoning the Beast to the Blonde because it was too much of a sloggy chore, even though the page count per week was minuscule - so that made me think that less pages for the slower-going parts might make it seem more doable?

Sounds reasonable.

The chapters are inequal in length.

We could do about 2 chapters a week and starting at the beginning of July. There is one pretty short and one pretty long chapter so that could adjusted in that case.

• Like 8

W&P (new ed.) just arrived!

A much better font and a whiter page, definetly reaching the age these kind of things matters with reading...

And with french in the text with footnotes at the same page.

15 chapters in 4 parts and 2 epilogues = 17 parts as mentioned before?

Just want to be sure I read the same as everybody else :)

I lost Loesje's next quote. So.....

The Maude edition on the Kindle calls them books. There are 15 books each with many chapters and 2 epilogues which is where I came up with my 17 parts. The end of Book 3 puts us at 24% of the book. I can't see any "part" subdivisions but each book has a year identification.

I went ahead and downloaded it onto my old Kindle reader. This is what I see:

Book 1 (1805) with 28 chapters

Book 2 (1805) with 21 chapters

Book 3 (1805) with 19 chapters.......24% complete ####

Book 4 (1806) with 16 chapters

Book 5 (1806-7) with 22 chapters

Book 6 (1808-10) with 26 chapters

Book 7 (1810-11) with 13 chapters......44% complete

Book 8 (1811-12) with 22 chapters......50% complete #####

Book 9 (1812) with 23 chapters

Book 10 (1812) with 39 chapters

Book 11 (1812) with 34 chapters.......76% complete #####

Book 12 (1812) with 16 chapters.......84% complete

Book 13 (1812) with 19 chapters

Book 14 (1812) with 19 chapters

Book 15 (1812-13) with 20 chapters.....92% complete ####

Epilogue 1 (1813-20) with 16 chapters

Epilogue 2 with 12 chapters

Not sure if that is any help. ;) I put #### where I think your breaks are. The Kindle I put it on doesn't do page numbers so all I can do is percentage complete. The chapters appear to be relatively short at 10 pages each for my random count. Language seems quite readable. The French appears in French with a *, directly under there is a * with the English translation.

Eta.....Obviously this is a bit late. I made food and did laundry while writing. ;) I'm going to leave it up..... I am very much for spreading things out more.

Edited by mumto2
  • Like 9

30 pages a day is my realistic maximum. It is enough that I can get caught up if I miss a few days and it won't drown out all my other reading.

If we are going to spread out further, do people think we should start earlier or go later? I'd be keen to be done before September as well if people are willing to start earlier.

• Like 12

30 pages a day is my realistic maximum. It is enough that I can get caught up if I miss a few days and it won't drown out all my other reading.

If we are going to spread out further, do people think we should start earlier or go later? I'd be keen to be done before September as well if people are willing to start earlier.

I personally plan to spread it out over the whole summer. It may make me useless to discussions that happen in August, but realistically that's how it will have to happen here. I don't typically have large chunks of time for reading and I will want to read other stuff too. I just ordered my Maude edition and am supposed to get it this weekend. I have a couple of library books that I need to get to, but I hope to start reading W&P next week.

• Like 12

I can start in July; I'm not sure how much earlier I can manage because I'm still trying to get through my current tome, which is 'only' 700+ pp, but it's both non-fiction and hard-copy both of which seem to take me longer than fiction and ebook.

Now y'all have made me go request W&P from the library so I can see how it breaks up... ;)  Actually, more than one - I reserved both Maude and Garnett translations... :D

• Like 13

I finally have time to post my reading update! Memorial weekend was busy for the family, plus end of the school year for the older two means emotional drama and many celebrations.

I'm up for reading War and Peace. I read it several years ago and enjoyed it, but felt I should read a history book about the Napoleonic Wars to better understand the battle descriptions and troop movements. I never got around to it. I liked Anna Karenina more, likely because it's easier to read.

Books read last week (as of Sunday):

• Ship of Magic by Robin Hobb. Fantasy. A young woman searches for a way to win back her sentient ship. I enjoyed the Farseer Trilogy, less so The Tawny Man series, but this is my favorite Hobb series thus far. A mad ship that kills those who sail him, sea serpents searching for their past, traders suffering genetic damage to produce goods, women fighting for a place in a patriarchal society, slavery's effects on people and culture. All these threads bound up in an approachable fantasy, with multiple engaging points of view. Nan, if you enjoy Dune, I think you might enjoy Ship of Magic​. If I remember correctly, you like sailing and the book has a heavy nautical theme. I've always felt that certain boats have a particular presence, perhaps influenced by my father's preference for one particular sailboat we rented for a few summers, and in this book, some boats are alive. Highly recommended.
  • The Razor's Edge by W. Somerset Maugham. Literary Fiction. I have nothing to add here that hasn't already been said. I really enjoyed the book.
  • Escapology by  Ren Warom. Cyperpunk. A hacker seeks the key to overthrowing the computer simulation that runs the world.

I finished EMERALD as well:

• E: Song of Erin
  • M: Being Mortal
  • E: Escapology
  • R: The Razor's Edge
  • A: Scatter, Adapt, and Remember
  • L: The Labyrinth
  • D: Don Quixote

Books I'm currently reading include The Mad Ship​ and Ship of Destiny​ by Robin Hobbs, and Do Androids Dream of Electronic Sheep? by Philip K. Dick (I plan to watch the movie adaption ​Blade Runner​), plus I have a few bingo reads lined up: I, Claudius, Quicksilver, and ​Terms of Endearment​.

Edited by ErinE
  • Like 14

I apparently took almost 3 months to read War and Peace (11 weeks), and that was during the holiday season the year I read it.  I know I wasn't reading it exclusively during that time, and I probably put it aside for days at a time.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/6334862-war-and-peace

I'm fine with either a slow or somewhat faster pace. I just want to reread it. It doesn't matter to me how long it takes.

• Like 14

Hmmm....

Nan

I'm reading it because it was so good the first time!

As I recall, it was the source of the phrase "cultural virtue points."* It was kind of embarrassing how people would react to seeing someone carrying around W&P, as if it were some incredible feat and proof of worthiness, when actually it's just a real page-turner and I couldn't put it down. I'd try to say as much, but that only seemed to cause more CVPs to rack up.

So be forewarned; carry it cover side in!

*Social encomiums, generally undeserved, for reading a book with a culturally constructed aura of impressiveness.

ETA: I think we should follow Caucus Race rules for reading it. Everyone starts when she wants, reads at whatever pace works for her, and finishes when she finishes. "Everybody has won, and all must have prizes."

Edited by Violet Crown
  • Like 12

I finished my last Emerald book. Donald Westlake's The Hot Rock was about a theft of an emerald by career criminals gone very wrong. It read easily and was the first in another long series called Dormunder. I didn't love it and won't plan on more at this point. Too many things I want to read. https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/13224948-the-hot-rock

I went ahead and ordered my hard copies for War and Peace. I ended up getting two translations and will pick at that point.

I fully agree with VC's caucus race rules and know that it's probably the only way because I would actually just as soon start while I am enthused. A tiny part of me wonders if the reason The Razor's Edge was successful for me was each Sunday we had a discussion. I knew that on Saturday I needed to read my pages. It was fun......if we are all at different places what will we do? Can we do anything without spoiling it for others? Maybe pick an end date with some pre selected discussion questions....so if we finish early we can do our answers before we forget details and still have our books. I think several of you have participated in chunky readalongs on Goodreads and am wondering how it's handled?

• Like 10

I fully agree with VC's caucus race rules and know that it's probably the only way because I would actually just as soon start while I am enthused. A tiny part of me wonders if the reason The Razor's Edge was successful for me was each Sunday we had a discussion. I knew that on Saturday I needed to read my pages. It was fun......if we are all at different places what will we do? Can we do anything without spoiling it for others? Maybe pick an end date with some pre selected discussion questions....so if we finish early we can do our answers before we forget details and still have our books. I think several of you have participated in chunky readalongs on Goodreads and am wondering how it's handled?

I will admit that a big part of what made the Razor's Edge read-a-long so fun for me was a goal and defined stopping point, and then the weekly discussion.  

I think I can finish my other big-book-I'm-reading-slowly in the next two weeks, and could start W&P mid-June.  If we did 150 pages or so a week, that would be 9-10 weeks (for the English version ;) ) which would have us finished before Sept. with a bit of time to spare.   Can other people start that early?  It seems there's some enthusiasm. ;)

• Like 12

I finished my last Emerald book. Donald Westlake's The Hot Rock was about a theft of an emerald by career criminals gone very wrong. It read easily and was the first in another long series called Dormunder. I didn't love it and won't plan on more at this point. Too many things I want to read. https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/13224948-the-hot-rock

And my Emerald book (the one-and-only; I don't spell ;0 ) is not done.  :glare:   First one I've been late on.  Should finish this week, though.  Next month is Pearl or Moonstone?  Perhaps I need to get ahead of the next one!

• Like 9

One possibility might be to have a separate thread for each section of the book which readers could add to as they finished each section.  So, a thread for books 1 to 3, for example.  Participants could revisit the discussions from time to time to learn what others thought and share additional insights.

(Clearly I have no issues offering suggestions even though I have no current intention to read the book!)

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 12

Do you all want to start mid June which will spread the book over the summer and I can put together a schedule of sorts. We could use sparknotes as a guide for discussion questions. Same as other readalongs, folks can gloss over that part of the thread so don't get spoilers. Let me know if any of you want to lead discussion or if you'd rather keep it casual.

• Like 13

I've finished a number of books lately ~

I quite enjoyed The Garden of Small Beginnings by Abbi Waxman which is classified as contemporary fiction; it had me laughing aloud several times.  It even included amusing gardening tips.

"In the spirit of A Man Called Ove and Good Grief—a poignant, funny, and utterly believable novel about life and loss.

Give grief a chance...

Lilian Girvan has been a single mother for three years—ever since her husband died in a car accident. One mental breakdown and some random suicidal thoughts later, she’s just starting to get the hang of this widow thing. She can now get her two girls to school, show up to work, and watch TV like a pro. The only problem is she’s becoming overwhelmed with being underwhelmed.

At least her textbook illustrating job has some perks—like actually being called upon to draw whale genitalia. Oh, and there’s that vegetable-gardening class her boss signed her up for. Apparently, being the chosen illustrator for a series of boutique vegetable guides means getting your hands dirty, literally. Wallowing around in compost on a Saturday morning can’t be much worse than wallowing around in pajamas and self-pity.

After recruiting her kids and insanely supportive sister to join her, Lilian shows up at the Los Angeles botanical garden feeling out of her element. But what she’ll soon discover—with the help of a patient instructor and a quirky group of gardeners—is that into every life a little sun must shine, whether you want it to or not..."

A Christmas Dance  by Alissa Johnson was an enjoyable historical romance novella.

"William Renwick, Earl of Casslebury, has begun his hunt for a wife as he begins all things in life, with careful planning and strict discipline. But his well-honed strategy to acquire the perfect countess goes awry when he finds himself captivated, not by the suitable young lady he intended to court, but by her unusual companion—the quiet, charming, and alarmingly unpredictable Miss Patience Byerly."

I also enjoyed  Among the Living (PsyCop Book 1) by Jordan Castillo Price, a novella which features (no surprise!) a psychic cop.  This is the first of a paranormal detective series. I'd like to read more in this series. (Adult content)

"Victor Bayne, the psychic half a PsyCop team, is a gay medium who’s more concerned with flying under the radar than in making waves.

He hooks up with handsome Jacob Marks, a non-psychic (or “Stiffâ€) from an adjacent precinct at his ex-partner’s retirement party and it seems like his dubious luck has taken a turn for the better. But then a serial killer surfaces who can change his appearance to match any witness’ idea of the world’s hottest guy.

Solving murders is a snap when you can ask the victims whodunit, but this killer’s not leaving any spirits behind."

And I liked the novella, Coffee Boy by Austin Chant, the story of a young trans man in a post-college internship.  (Adult content)

"After graduation, Kieran expected to go straight into a career of flipping burgers—only to be offered the internship of his dreams at a political campaign. But the pressure of being an out trans man in the workplace quickly sucks the joy out of things, as does Seth, the humorless campaign strategist who watches his every move.

Soon, the only upside to the job is that Seth has a painful crush on their painfully straight boss, and Kieran has a front row seat to the drama. But when Seth proves to be as respectful and supportive as he is prickly, Kieran develops an awkward crush of his own—one which Seth is far too prim and proper to ever reciprocate."

I've also been re-reading with pleasure Patricia Briggs' Shifting Shadows: Stories from the World of Mercy Thompson.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 8

I finished Hidden Figures last week...finally.  I really wanted to like this book!  And indeed there were some good coherent parts.  But, overall, what a slog!!!  I feel like her editor should have had her rewrite with a more fluid story line.  The author would be talking about one of the main women but then literally from one sentence to the next not only transition from the woman we were talking about to a different woman (usually one we had not be introduced to yet) but also transition to a different time period!!!  There was absolutely no fluid timeline and while that can work, all it made this book was confusing and disorienting!  I felt no connection to these amazing women that I didn't know existed.  It read like a textbook that I had to finish.  I guess it made me mad because it was a problem that could have been easily fixed.  Split the book up into decades or by the women, anything to make it more readable and less confusing.  I gave up trying to look back at which women were which after about 150 pages.  Ugh!!

I also finished Anne's House of Dreams yesterday.  Another sweet installment of the Anne of Green Gables books  :001_wub:   Aly and her friend were reading through these this year.  Due to some unexpected life events in the friend's family, we will only get through this book.  I will probably get around to finishing the rest off, but it's summer and I want to do some pleasure reading while I have the time!

I'm at 24 books for the year.  I was going to read The Plover in June but my library doesn't have a copy!  I'm going to check Half Price Books or 2nd and Charles.  My IRL book club is doing a book that takes place on the sea read for June, and I'm trying to start Master and Commander.  We'll see if I have the brain power for it or if I'm going to have to find a fluff book to check off that box.

Also, if any of you would like to say a prayer for me,I'd appreciate it.  I came down with strep throat late Monday night and was running a 102 temp by yesterday.  I'm now on antibiotics but I'm still pretty miserable and we leave for vacation Sat.  I have so much to do but I'm quarantined on the couch till tomorrow because I'm highly contagious till antiibiotics kick in and can't get anyone else sick :crying:  :thumbdown: Skye actually asked me this morning if I should be in the kitchen :rolleyes:  I just wanted something to eat!  

• Like 13